Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

V_K

Arcane
house of spectres
where do i learn answer to question about spectres given name? Must have missed some clue
You haven't.
The correct answer is "I don't know".

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The looting system... you do get more loot by looting during combat right? When combat is over I always seem to get such meager rewards. Haven't experimented too much with it yet since busy killing the enemies instead.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The looting system... you do get more loot by looting during combat right? When combat is over I always seem to get such meager rewards. Haven't experimented too much with it yet since busy killing the enemies instead.
It's also glitched, you can often click on bodies after the final loot screen appears...

Heh, yeah, I have tried that but look so glitchy I'm afraid the UI will lock up or something.

Beggar

Cipher
Looting after the fight? :mad: After the fight all the bodies disappeared for me, I was looting only in battle :mad:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Yeah, 1.0.3 just came out and right off the bat, if you create an aristocrat character, the butler is broken and doesn't follow you. Funnily enough I was just about to test how viable is it to get him killed early on.

That did it for me, wanted to have a less fucked play-through than my previous test character - bug on start.

Will wait a month of patches, I guess.

Egosphere

Arcane
house of spectres
where do i learn answer to question about spectres given name? Must have missed some clue

The penultimate answer is
I don't know
, but the final answer can be obtained if you
buy the book about the folklore and read it

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's supposed to work that if you loot during combat and then run, you keep what you looted, but if you exterminate the enemy you get all the loot automatically. That's the impression I got from the loading screen tips or wherever I read that. Exterminating everything and looting in combat isn't supposed to give you extra stuff. At least I hope not.

Egosphere

Arcane
house of spectres

The penultimate answer is
I don't know
, but the final answer can be obtained if you
buy the book about the folklore and read it
yeah i do mean final answer, interestingly enough i did read that book, maybe I need to do so after encountering final stabber killing? Will give it a try
Only works after you talk to Keelan, yeah

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I think it's supposed to work that if you loot during combat and then run, you keep what you looted, but if you exterminate the enemy you get all the loot automatically. That's the impression I got from the loading screen tips or wherever I read that. Exterminating everything and looting in combat isn't supposed to give you extra stuff. At least I hope not.

Yeah, I think so too, but at times, when I have mistaken picked to loot during combat I see all this loot on the body, but then later when the fight is over I get like one key or something for loot. Just a bit confused on how it works, but it kinda looks like you should loot during combat regardless if you are gonna flee or not, could be wrong of course.

Prime Junta

I'm really not sold on the combat. Melee is just plain better than guns or spells, at least early on, and has no resource cost. Combat also drags on way too long, everybody has a ton of HP and can happily eat a half-dozen bullets before keeling over. This badly needs a whack with Josh's balance stick.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

I'm really not sold on the combat. Melee is just plain better than guns or spells, at least early on, and has no resource cost. Combat also drags on way too long, everybody has a ton of HP and can happily eat a half-dozen bullets before keeling over. This badly needs a whack with Josh's balance stick.
There's a certain skewed balancing in this. Melee is character expansive, as it requires decent physical stats/skills, which are obviously not too useful in a Lovecraftian game. Ranged is resource expansive as it requires bullets, but hit chances seem to be higher? for wimpy characters. And spells seem to be the only real choice for brainiacs, because it's the only kind of combat based on a universally useful skill, occultism; plus sanity isn't that hard to replenish, given dialogue, books, socializing and few other methods. I don't like it still, but that's how I see it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unti22tled.png

what progressive SJW wrote this game?
and this is not the first time the game is educating me

and where is the option where I say "yes because that's proper"

Xunwael

Educated
what progressive SJW wrote this game?
and this is not the first time the game is educating me

and where is the option where I say "yes because that's proper"
It is pretty annoying how it's impossible to play stern or dignified characters in RPGs, but you get used to it after a while.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I do wonder what HPL would have thought had he known that Turks would be making something inspired by his stories. The man had issues
From Lovecraft's The Shadow out of Time:
I shivered at the mysteries the past may conceal, and trembled at the menaces the future may bring forth. What was hinted in the speech of post-human entities of the fate of mankind produced such an effect on me that I will not set it down here. After man there would be the mighty beetle civilisation, the bodies of whose members the cream of the Great Race would seize when the monstrous doom overtook the elder world.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I'll add to the above comment by saying that the combat is quite primitive, from my experience. I haven't yet finished the game, so take it with grain of salt.

Even though I've been playing a spell-caster, there is very little variation in the system. There are many guns, but they all do the same type of damage. There are many melee weapons, but they also do the same type of damage. You can knock enemies down, but they get up in the same turn. You can stack 3 bleeding wounds, but they amount to just -1 damage for each wound, each turn. The guns have a penalty to point blank shots, but you can freely step away from nearby enemies without any 'opportunity' attacks. I haven't tried crafting grenades or molotovs, but my guess is that they'll do similar damage and perhaps give another 'fire' status which will be mechanically equivalent to bleeding.

The spells break up the monotony, but they limited in number and share certain similarities with other weapons. Your first attack-minded spell will simply deal damage relative to your mind level. You'll then acquire a couple of spells that can turn enemies into stone (basically a stun spell, with the caveat that enemies can be shattered when ossified) or deal sanity damage. That's all good and well, but once you buff your original spell to having an area of effect, there's little reason to use anything else, especially since the spell can be cast on any tile. So far, I've steam-rolled every combat encounter simply by rearranging my party to get the enemies serried in front of me, then having 2 occultists spam their damage-over-six-tiles spell. There's very little tactics involved.

Compare this to something like AoD. You have bows (ie. guns), you have throwables, you have nets (ie. stun spell), but you also have an assortment of melee weapons which drastically alter the fight. You can use a shield to knock someone away from you, a spear to keep them at bay, axes to cleave through groups, hammers to bash their armour etc. There's decisions to be made regarding what armour you should wear, weather to block or dodge, where to position yourself in a fight, whether to hit quickly or slowly and powerfully etc. Or Underrail, which is just on a different planet altogether when it comes to complexity of the combat system, with the myriad of damage types, armours, spells, items etc. Even Arcanum, which could be won with nothing other than the Harm spell, had mountains of (badly implemented) combat mechanics. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far the scope of opportunities in combat has been pretty restricted in this game

You can take cover in stygian, your positioning is more important, aod is just throwing yourself into a blender if you don't max combat every level, and hoping to God you can find a tile where you aren't surrounded, the tactical depth isn't there, which is boring, what's the point in playing an rpg if you can only experience 1/10th of it, since vendors never restock you're just out of luck when it comes to utility

RegionalHobo

Scholar

melee gets a lot of hype but guns appear to get many upgrades as you progress while melee is stagnant(im close to lvl6 now).

In general Im not too happy with curent save system - but not due to save scumming. I just like to experience various branches and then go back.
As stealthy/talkative character I dotn recall a single situation when there was some chest gated behind combat and it was worth getting.
As such I wish I was into guns instead on my main character and on those rare encounters i would just spray all my love with a shotgun.

guns are shit until really near the end of the game ( 6 + ) and even then they are mediocre. melee does not require that much because you use it in companions. talking about companions they get ABSURD companions perks, do not get angst, do not get random conditions that make you skip turns like schizo, do not have to put points in other skills beyond combat most of the time since you can t use them in checks.

as such there s zero doubt companions are many times stronger than the MC. as a matter of fact, the buttler with a ripper knife and punches could easily solo the game without even using drugs. with drugs he s just borderline cheating

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Turns out no flappers in the 20s behaved in ways that conservatives found shocking. :lol:

You can't go back far enough for conservatives. "Ok at what date did women have absolutely NO power or autonomy because THAT's the ticket for ME!"

(also lol at flappers in the 20s being more forward-thinking than dweebs at the Codex in 2019)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom