Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ha, Link's Awakening runs at 720p and still drops to 30fps frequently, jesus christ.

Gerrard

Arcane
The idea behind Switch Lite is fantastic, now when the controller parts break (which they will) you will have to get an entire new console. Fucking genius!

Gerrard

Arcane
The Tal Tal Heights overworld music arrange in the remake is so good it put tears in my eyes.

I'm waiting for a patch to see if Nintendo fixes the framerate issues, it's a pretty minor thing but I'm kind of OCD about it and Link's Awakening deserves all the polish it can get, it's probably my favourite Zelda.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

I'm waiting for a patch to see if Nintendo fixes the framerate issues, it's a pretty minor thing but I'm kind of OCD about it and Link's Awakening deserves all the polish it can get, it's probably my favourite Zelda.

I did not post links because it will probably be deleted soon.

It actually has two versions, also that bit with the original Gameboy music is :obviously:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I don't understand why one has to buy the switch. The only switch exclusive that maybe is interesting is SMTV, and it is still not released. Other interesting games have already a better version on other platforms or are better when emulated.

throwaway

Cipher
Decided to take the plunge a bit too late, most major shops already stock only the patched version in the UK so I'm likely to have to resort to a used one from a place like CEX.
What's the worst thing that can happen to a used one? Joycons will drift but they can be replaced. Battery will have degraded a bit but whatever. Is there any other major factor that I'm forgetting?

Tigranes

Arcane
Decided to take the plunge a bit too late, most major shops already stock only the patched version in the UK so I'm likely to have to resort to a used one from a place like CEX.
What's the worst thing that can happen to a used one? Joycons will drift but they can be replaced. Battery will have degraded a bit but whatever. Is there any other major factor that I'm forgetting?

You are wanting to homebrew it right?

No major issue, just check for issues diligently when you buy. Drift can be hard to tell if its not constant. I dont know if you can get all the purchaser info for this, but Nintendo US is currently repairing (i.e. replacing) drifters for free.

Naraya

Arcane

Wait for emulation and run the fucking thing in 4k at 144fps.
I wonder if Nintendo Switch emulation is ever going to come true.

Mortmal

Arcane

When do you get fps drop ? Played a few hours and not noticed any yet.

kalganoat

Savant
It runs at 60fps indoors and 30fps outdoors. The switch between the two framerates are very noticeable to me. I honestly don't understand why switch can't run this game at 60fps all the time.

Wait for emulation and run the fucking thing in 4k at 144fps.
I like the actual machine, play it in the crapper all the time. It's just surprising for a Nintendo release to be this uneven when it comes to framerate, usually they're very good about keeping a stable 60fps, including in more graphically demanding games, like Mario Odyssey.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like the actual machine, play it in the crapper all the time. It's just surprising for a Nintendo release to be this uneven when it comes to framerate, usually they're very good about keeping a stable 60fps, including in more graphically demanding games, like Mario Odyssey.

I watched the Digital Foundry analysis and their suspicion is it's a weird technical limitation based on putting things normally intended for the CPU onto the GPU. If it's that core to the design of the game, I doubt they could change it late in development or patch it. That's probably the issue.

otsego

Cipher
I adore Link's Awakening. Tal Tal Heights track is my favourite in the game.

I watched a youtube vid of someone playing and was a bit put off by the fact the overworld is largely seamless (no edge-scrolling to the next "area"). A lot of the level design was based on that so it feels lost in this version.

Won't be buying a Switch (or any sort of console/handheld :obviously:) but would love to see it ported... emulator or otherwise....

2 things really annoy me:
  1. The dock shit is apparently proprietary and not just a standard Thunderbolt 3 port, so using a dock is the only way to get HDMI video out from the Switch. There are third party docks but they can apparently brick your system somehow. Standard USB-C -> HDMI cables like I can use to connect my phone or laptop to a monitor won't work.
  2. Switch Lite has no way to get video out. If they had used TB3 like in point (1) above, this would have been simple to implement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom