Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm waiting for a patch to see if Nintendo fixes the framerate issues, it's a pretty minor thing but I'm kind of OCD about it and Link's Awakening deserves all the polish it can get, it's probably my favourite Zelda.

Wait for emulation and run the fucking thing in 4k at 144fps.
I wonder if Nintendo Switch emulation is ever going to come true.

Dude it has been true for at least a year now.

throwaway

Cipher
Is there's much of a running-pc-games-via-Linux scene on the homebrew?
To answer myself: No.
I overestimated what this thing is capable of. Forgot that it's an ARM platform so getting it to run Linux does not mean Steam and Wine necessarily follow. I'm actually thankful for all the Beamdog ports etc now.

Do the shitty EEs come with the original versions now? Last I checked, the originals were not available for purchase because Beamdog are talentless cucks.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, I have a switch and I dont know why I would play IE games on it. Just seems like a really suboptimal mix no matter beamdog etc. More than enough good games on it that are served well by portability and controllers, you arent ever buyinh any console for true old school CRPGs.

MapMan

Arcane
Anyone playing Luigi Mansion 3?

I've played it for a few hours and am enjoying it so far. I really like the environments and the overall visual design. It looks like a good Pixar movie. Gameplay wise it's too early for me to make proper judgement but so far I'm really liking it. There's a lot of neat puzzles.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So console negros my kids have been begging me hard for a Switch. I'm probably going to capitulate and get them one for Christmas this year.

What are the best local multiplayer games for kids (7, 5)? Mario Kart of course but what else? Super Mario Maker? Mario Party? Smash Bros? Diablo III is a kids game right?

Right now the only two I know I'd get them are Mindcraft and Kart 8.

And do you need an extra $80 controller (Jesus Apple indeed) or can a knock off work?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone playing Luigi Mansion 3?

I've played it for a few hours and am enjoying it so far. I really like the environments and the overall visual design. It looks like a good Pixar movie. Gameplay wise it's too early for me to make proper judgement but so far I'm really liking it. There's a lot of neat puzzles.

Just bought this cause I needed something different to play. I'd actually no idea what Luigi Mansion games were like, only that I'd heard of them in passing as good games. So far it's alright. It surprisingly has some of the best graphics of I've seen so far on the Switch. Nice lighting, nice physics, and makes excellent use of colors to make up for any faults in the Switch's power. I'm not deep enough to comment on the puzzles or anything; I find the combat sorta difficult cause you have to like hold the flashlight and swing the aim around with the same hand. I will say the game is a lot funnier than I expected with a lot of visual / slapstick type gags.

Mortmal

Arcane
So console negros my kids have been begging me hard for a Switch. I'm probably going to capitulate and get them one for Christmas this year.

What are the best local multiplayer games for kids (7, 5)? Mario Kart of course but what else? Super Mario Maker? Mario Party? Smash Bros? Diablo III is a kids game right?

And do you need an extra $80 controller (Jesus Apple indeed) or can a knock off work?
Mario kart first , 5 is a bit too young still but doable 7 is ok . Super smash bro is mandatory, you can also use an adapter and gamecube controllers for it, buy some cheap chinese copy. Diablo 3 maybe not, being bitter old men,with no souls, impossible to shock we tend to forget the kid sensibilities and innocence. For exemple i was surprised to see the dragon in super mario near end game was too scary for my nephew, he did not want me to buy skyrim either , so your kids might be scared by the diablo monsters....
The party game are fun too , sport games and dance stuff.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Mario kart first , 5 is a bit too young still but doable 7 is ok . Super smash bro is mandatory, you can also use an adapter and gamecube controllers for it, buy some cheap chinese copy. Diablo 3 maybe not, being bitter old men,with no souls, impossible to shock we tend to forget the kid sensibilities and innocence. For exemple i was surprised to see the dragon in super mario near end game was too scary for my nephew, he did not want me to buy skyrim either , so your kids might be scared by the diablo monsters....

Yeah I was joking about Diablo. So Kart, Party, Minecraft (7 year old has been bugging me for a while), and smash. So $300 console and $200 in games. Fuck this might be all they are getting for Christmas.

Tigranes

Arcane

Yeah I was joking about Diablo. So Kart, Party, Minecraft (7 year old has been bugging me for a while), and smash. So $300 console and $200 in games. Fuck this might be all they are getting for Christmas.

You usually spend more on them for Christmas?

If so, I guess they are being rational economic subjects by expecting a Switch.

Mortmal

Arcane

Who could have known ? You expect a cesspool, a den of vicious sociopaths and it turns out codexers are good dads, cherishing their kids .

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

God no. But they have no concept of money larger than say $20. If I just get them a Switch they are going to wonder where their other presents are.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I was thinking about getting Death Stranding or Fallen Order.... i'll probably just get the new pokemon lol

Mortmal

Arcane
oldmanpaco , i forgot to mention Nintendo labs, its costly and will keep them busy only one afternoon but its worth it, i think you should buy it for yourself to try , the robot one is quite fun to build . Games are sadly very shallow so its 50 euros for one afternoon, still less expensive that going out.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

God no. But they have no concept of money larger than say $20. If I just get them a Switch they are going to wonder where their other presents are.

Yeah I know that feeling. I tried explaining why Santa wasn't going to bring my 7 year old some £220 lego set of a fucking dinosaur he'd seen on YouTube and he asked me why Santa's elves couldn't just make it? I had to pass an INT and CHA check to get out of that one. (Because there's too many bits in it and that'd mean that's all the elves could make, surely you'd want them to make other presents besides a bloody dinosaur you'd put together in a day and then leave round the house to annoy me and mummy?)

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You might have a look at chinese lego brands https://uploads.brickset.com/docs/clonebrands_v1.6.pdf , its 2016 , but guess it's still true. Lego is the most overpriced toy ever, plus you cant really do anything with the new ones anymore they are almost prebuilt.

It's funny, we've got him some of this stuff off ebay and he's 7 but he can tell the chinese knock-offs inside a minute. None of them fit very well together, hair comes off at the drop of a hat and hands spin round like windmills. I'm actually slightly nervous we're fostering a prejudice here as when something breaks or doesn't work very well I've heard him say "Maybe it's chinese." We laughed, but a bit nervously lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom