Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Okay what's the best fantasy TBS?

What is the best fantasy turn-based strategy game?

• Dominions 4

• Master of Magic

• Heroes of Might and Magic III

• Age of Wonders series

• Etherlords II

• Disciples II

• King's Bounty series

• Warlords series

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
See poll

For franchises where I couldn't determine the best game, I just wrote "- series"

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Eh, KB and Etherlords are not strategy games and some other games on that list have very simplistic "barely there" strategy layers (Disciples, for example).

Anyway:

For strategy - still MoM, EL probably as a notable runner up.
Tactics - AoW wins easily.
Overall ease of use, accessibility and pure mp/hot seat fun factor - HoMM.

which AOW should i buy, the first one?

All of them are pretty good, 2 is the weakest, the only thing worthwhile of it are the campaigns.

3 was kinda weak at first but now is pretty good.

I feel 1 is the best one at presentation, story and campaign, Shadow Magic is the prettiest one and AOW3 has the best combate mechanicsand plays a bit more like a 4X.

Citizen

I love them all for different reasons, fantasy/scifi 4x is my personal favourite genre of videogames

Still there's only one correct answer...

BIRTHRIGHT: GORGON'S ALLIANCE

Andhaira

Arcane
Master of Magic, absolutely no doubt about it.

Still don't understand why they don't make a sequel; just make it exactly the same but add multiplayer. Would be great to have some codex matches.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Master of Magic, absolutely no doubt about it.

Still don't understand why they don't make a sequel; just make it exactly the same but add multiplayer. Would be great to have some codex matches.
Doesn't Dominions 5 more or less fill the MP need for MoM It is a bit more fiddlly, but it has a lot of depth.?
I think the (lack of) SP balance is a part of what makes MoM great. I am not sure it would work well in MP (in MOO2 MP, several perks were forbidden in MP, and everyone was more or less doing the same early game).

If I could vote for several, I would go:
1) MoM
2) AoW
3) Dominions

Deleted Member 16721

Master of Magic is still the undisputed queen of strategy games. She is absolutely unrivaled, one of the best games ever and still a joy to play to this day.

Stone Dog

Novice
Dominions hands down. Even putting aside the esthetic factor, the depth of play and counterplay it offers is unmatched. Too bad the AI is 100% shit.

By the way, what is the best way of playing MoM nowadays? Any ports or mods I should be aware of?

Magitex

Educated
Dominions hands down. Even putting aside the esthetic factor, the depth of play and counterplay it offers is unmatched. Too bad the AI is 100% shit.

By the way, what is the best way of playing MoM nowadays? Any ports or mods I should be aware of?
I seem to recall there was a mostly finished Java remake of MoM with multiplayer support: https://sourceforge.net/projects/momime/
Your mileage may vary.

My vote would go to Dominions also, but the AI really lets the game down; so I'd probably just roll with Age of Wonders. Things like Warlords 2 are really tempting to vote for, but I can't say how much nostalgia is playing into it, it was a simple but addictive game with no fluff.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/232050/Eador_Masters_of_the_Broken_World/ Eador probably best option that no one ever played, myself included.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I no longer like HoMM because of infinite unit stacking, no unit maintenance, and no fog of war (only visible vs unexplored). Those things feel really dumb to come back to after playing the other games.

Eador - Good, but ultimately the hero grinding is not to my taste.

MoM is great, but no MP, so I don't play it.

AoW I play a lot at the GoG forum, and I even make maps for it. It has the best scouting/killing enemy scouts dynamic, ie vision game, of the games in this post. And it has a few little things like fire immune units walking on lava, ethereal units killing any number of troops if they have only mundane weapons, flying ranged attackers killing any number of walking melee troops, walled cities being uncaptureable unless you brought something that can break walls or climb/fly over them, and so on. You can make a three-layer map (two cave levels) with one-way teleporters and crazy stuff like that. Or if an enemy army is crossing a river of frozen ice and you fire a Fire Storm onto it, they drown. I didn't get bored of this game when I got into Dominions 5.

Dominions - totally btfos all the other games, even MoM, on mechanics. MP is good, lore is good. Relatively weak on aesthetic (mind blast sfx reeeeeeeee) but I still like its sprites and music anyway.

So for me it's a toss-up between Dominions and AoW.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom