Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shortest Trip to Earth - guide gay space commies to their well deserved death

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://shortesttrip.interactivefate.com

https://af.gog.com/game/Shortest_Trip_to_Earth?as=1649904300

I've been playing this Estonian game for a couple of days and I quite like it so far.
It looks like more shiny FTL, but it takes more simulationist approach; There's way more resource types to manage, crafting is in and it's actually central to succeeding in this game. For example if enemy manages to destroy your laser cannon module, you can build weak replacement for it from resources you have.

There's tons of different modules including generators, non-combat sensors and nutrient growing stations, to name just a few.
Weapons can roughly be divided into 3 types; beams, solid shots and capital missiles.
-Beams (usually) only require energy source to shoot, but shields stop them. Some beams cause more shield damage, but are inefficient against hull and modules and vice versa.
-Solid shots are cannons and rockets which need some resource from ship's storage for ammunition. Those bypass shields, but can be shot down by point defenses.
-Capital missiles cost lots resources and need free torpedo tube to be deployed. Those never miss and bypass shields, but point defense's can bring those down. There's several different types from dupes (which are meant to draw ack-ack while you're firing a salvo and maybe scare hostiles before they attack) to firebombs that turn ship's insides into raging inferno.
I've only manged to reach 5th sector so far and there's probably tons of items that I haven't even seen yet.

Game's setting takes much inspiration for Star Trek and seems to follow pretty hippy ethics with eating creatures that have consciousness being no-no, all participation to society being fully voluntary and recreational substance use happening in every social gathering. Squids, which are main antagonists, are probably right in wanting to destroy humans. For some reason almost every industrial or digital stage civilisation seems to be in mid of their planet destroying world wars when player encounters them.

Still nice game with challenging resource management and multi-ship combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

tindrli

Arcane
ok i out of fuel and ammo. is there any way to obtain ammo now that im fighting against some slavers or im dead
pTnoGNN.png

tindrli

Arcane
ok i out of fuel and ammo. is there any way to obtain ammo now that im fighting against some slavers or im dead
You can deconstruct modules during fights.
Or build beam weapon, if you got resources.
i was dead right after shit hit a fan. anyway, i started again and right now im entering sector 3. im hooked, and i died by squid vessel. great game

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Been having fun with this. The UI takes a while to get used to but once you get shit set-up it's not so bad, as long as you edit your presets IMMEDIATLY EVERY TIME YOU GET A NEW CREWMEMBER. Could get a lot better still.

Protip:
The last 1/3 of the sectors will fuck you over without good PDS coverage, you have been warned

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The key is to replace all crew members with cold, unfeeling machines.

They don't need any stinkin' "food" or "sleep".

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which do you think are the best ships?
I read a lot of good things about the Bluestar.
Is it possible to board other ships? I sometimes get boarded, but haven't managed to board ala FTL.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is it possible to board other ships? I sometimes get boarded, but haven't managed to board ala FTL.
You can always order your crew to move into enemy ships.
I don't know i such an assault is ever wise thing to do since you must risk point defenses, enemy crew and ships seem to self-destruct when you manage to kill 'em all.

tindrli

Arcane
Which do you think are the best ships?
The "greenery" ship is nice, took me the farthest so far. Worrying about where to sell off the next stack of food for massive MONIES is......nice.

the second one, the one on my picture is the one that i made it farthest. But i think that Rat one is better
and im dead again now with RAT ship. Tomorrow i will try ATLAS
Xts6PBQ.png
How do you spend the resource? More weapon slots ASAP?
i didnt. well to be honest today i realized that i can upgrade a hybrid slot to weapon one but the cost is just too much, and i did it here on sector 4 and no progress

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Rocket launcher proved to be very useful at sector 4 boss battle.
It allowed me to silence beams of that little ship that doesn't have point defenses and silenced big beam weapon after I managed to nuke 2 out of 3 PD's.
8b0ab4766fa07bd9.png

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
How do you spend the resource? More weapon slots ASAP?
Offense is top dog in this game, PD after, then shields imo. And once again
you will need good PD for the last third of the sectors, there is no way (that I know of) around it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
1 sector to go.
c346a63e1b34e888.png

AI faction ships completely lack fire suppression, single fuelpack nuke can neutralise their smaller shiptype.
Fortunately current ship layout had enough space to deal with Squid Emperor's missile payload,
Final fight will probably be some sort of repeat of sector 4 boss, which has been the most difficult encounter by far.

edit.
End boss turned out to be trivially easy.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
so whats your suggestion for weapon layout for sector 4? and how to make good PD weapons. in all games that i played i only saw normal DYE, RAT lvl 1 and 2 and that red one which appeared in sector 4 only ones and never in shops

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
and how to make good PD weapons. in all games that i played i only saw normal DYE, RAT lvl 1 and 2 and that red one which appeared in sector 4 only ones and never in shops
As far I know, you can't make better PD than DYE's. There's also Terran, Insect and Biotech variants too, but I would say that quality of gunner matters more with PDs than gun itself.
so whats your suggestion for weapon layout for sector 4?
Good missile launcher or sniper cannon (preferably one with fast & non-deflecting projectiles) for enemy module suppression, put best shooter on it and remember to change targets after hit.
One EMP gun for shield stripping and rest whichever beams you have energy for. You'll need 4-6 nukes (preferably ones that'll do module damage) for boss.
I think it's ok to pay off some of the encounters on that sector; you'll get resources later.

tindrli

Arcane
ok. the sector 4 boss again. this time im gona try with this layout
NeaIIeq.png

and im dead again.. 200 ammunition is not nearly enough for this bastard.
WvKZqR5.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom