Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metalheart: A Fallout Ripoff

Suchy

Arcane
Have you played it? According to reviews it pretty much sucks, but they're bitching mostly about graphics, so I was curious about some codexers' opinions.
Totally looks like Fallout ripoff, but is it anything close in terms of RPG?

metalheart_screen005.jpg

919633_20041108_screen004.jpg

metalheart_screen004.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I once saw in in a shop thought "hey looks cool" but didn't have the money at the time, so I later downloaded it and still didn't try it because most reviews say it's a horrible game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I own this game, got it as a Christmas present. It's like the Plan 9 From Outer Space of videogames.

You don't get to make a character, you've got a preset one. You rarely get to make dialogue choices. The combat is awful - the game will initiate combat with enemies several screens away from you, so you'll suddenly go into turn-based mode without any idea of where the enemy is. The dialogue and voice acting is so bad it's funny, though, so it might be worth a laugh.

Texas Red

Whiner
Talby said:
I own this game, got it as a Christmas present. It's like the Plan 9 From Outer Space of videogames.

You don't get to make a character, you've got a preset one. You rarely get to make dialogue choices. The combat is awful - the game will initiate combat with enemies several screens away from you, so you'll suddenly go into turn-based mode without any idea of where the enemy is. The dialogue and voice acting is so bad it's funny, though, so it might be worth a laugh.

So it's still better than FOblivion?

The problem with those titles is that they concentrate on graphics.

The joke is i`m not even joking. Shitty combat, shitty dialogue, shitty story. What else is there? Graphics. They probably try to fool people thinking it looks Fallout-like so it must be a Fallout-like game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dark Individual said:
So it's still better than FOblivion?

Well, the graphics are very good. It just has lots of little problems that bring down the experience a helluva lot. Plus it's got a bitchin' title. I'd say MetalHeart is the superior game, but I'm biased against 3D action clutter.

I'm told there's a patch out for it that improves it somewhat, might give it a go and report back.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That was not a very good comparison. One of the few things I enjoyed in FO3 was the ruined cities which looked pretty good.

also: now listening to accept beacuse of this thread.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
I had more fun with Metalheart, but I'm a sucker for turn and party based combat. The combat isn't breathtaking but entertaining. I can't remember having trouble with targets several screens away ( perhaps you should use rifles instead of stones ).

I was happy with Fallout 3 for the first 10 hours, but after 20 hours, like in every Bethesda game, I was bored to tears and installed the Fallout Tactics modification "Awaken" to get my wasteland fix and compensation for the F3 letdown experience, while i was able to get almost to the end of Metalheart before my variety needs were kicking in.

Gamerdad said:
The Fallout games are considered two of the best role-playing games ever, so it seems to make sense that games that clone the attributes of those games should be widespread but they aren't. Some games use certain aspects, but there have been precious few post-apocalyptic games made to date, none of which have used a turn-based combat system. If this is what a 2005 follow-up to Fallout looks like, there probably won't be another.

Hah. :lol:

mondblut

Arcane
Metalheart had nice combat, but very linear story, no interaction with the world, awfully slow movement and a slew of potential gamebreakers whenever you do something out of order.

I still enjoyed it more than, say, The Fall.

Sarvis

Erudite
There were reviews on the Codex a while ago. The consensus was that the game sucked, without anyone even bothering to talk about the graphics.

All kinds of little problems with the gameplay basically.

Melcar

Arcane
I played it a while ago (was only $5 at Fry's anyway). The graphics and animations seemed a bit better than FO, but the game itself was a generic action "RPG". The only thing it had in common with Fallout was... well, nothing really. It's an amusing game, but nothing special. Not worth more than 2 re-plays at most.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The ruins in Fallout 3 are quite nice... the only problem is that it looks like it's 200 days rather than 200 years since the bombs struck.

mondblut

Arcane
Melcar said:
I played it a while ago (was only $5 at Fry's anyway). The graphics and animations seemed a bit better than FO, but the game itself was a generic action "RPG".

Turn-based action RPG. Fascinating.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
action rpg in this context is meant to mean hack'n slash, i'd wager, which is pretty much what this game is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Diablo with guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom