Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yahtzee smacks Fable 2 up

Sarvis said:
TheWesDude said:
you know, if you played through the "golden" age of computer gaming, and then was transported through time to now, while the games are much flashier... they just lack the "total package" that older games had to deliver.

No, I don't think so at all. In fact, I think if you were instantly teleported from the end of your first playthrough of Fallout to the beginning of Fallout 3 you might not have all that built up nostalgia telling you Fallout was so much better.

The comparison is kind of pointless anyway, since Fallout 3 is so vastly different (of course, personally I think Fallout is great even without nostalgia and F3 doesn't sound at all hot to me, but I have never played a good first-person freeroaming rpg anyway. It's like the whole concept sucks, instead of detail you get a whole lot of bland.). Like you wouldn't compare Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario Galaxy.

Don't know about "total package delivered", though. It's hard to tell, since many of the genres I liked back then are now either almost dead or I don't care about them anymore.

Kavax

Scholar
Well, the really good stuff in Fallout were the two endgame areas and the Glow. I think Fallout 2 is a better game.

Heck, I'm still discovering new stuff in Fallout 2 after all these years. That's probably my favourite computer game, Killap's patch is a must, though, and the extra content from the Restoriation pack is great too.

Sarvis

Erudite
Kavax said:
Well, the really good stuff in Fallout were the two endgame areas and the Glow. I think Fallout 2 is a better game.

Heck, I'm still discovering new stuff in Fallout 2 after all these years. That's probably my favourite computer game, Killap's patch is a must, though, and the extra content from the Restoriation pack is great too.

Any patches I should be looking into for Fallout 1? I installed the official 1.1 patch, but didn't really feel like sifting through all the other patches to see what was good..

Interface tweaks would be nice, as inventory management is pretty painful by default. Is there even a way to use items directly from inventory, or do I have to put it into the item slot, leave inventory, use it then go back in and replace the weapon? Ugh.

Sarvis said:
Interface tweaks would be nice, as inventory management is pretty painful by default. Is there even a way to use items directly from inventory, or do I have to put it into the item slot, leave inventory, use it then go back in and replace the weapon? Ugh.

Doesn't right-clicking on stuff bring that icon of a bag, from where you can select an item to be used? Or was that only in Fallout 2 along with the crucial push-people-away button?

I trust you know that you use stimpacks and such just by right-clicking them in the inventory and clicking that hand icon, but just in case, I don't know you and after all, there are people who can't finish the first cave :wink:

Sarvis

Erudite
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Sarvis said:

Doesn't right-clicking on stuff bring that icon of a bag, from where you can select an item to be used? Or was that only in Fallout 2 along with the crucial push-people-away button?

I trust you know that you use stimpacks and such just by right-clicking them in the inventory and clicking that hand icon, but just in case, I don't know you and after all, there are people who can't finish the first cave :wink:

Right clicking in inventory just gives me the binoculars to look at stuff...

Maybe it's a slight glitch with WinXP or something? I had trouble using a ladder too, it wouldn't give me the hand icon until I used the keyboard command to switch cursors...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like a glitch, you can use things from inventory, I think it's hold down left click over something to bring up the options.

Ron Obvious

Novice
Sarvis said:
TheWesDude said:
you know, if you played through the "golden" age of computer gaming, and then was transported through time to now, while the games are much flashier... they just lack the "total package" that older games had to deliver.

No, I don't think so at all. In fact, I think if you were instantly teleported from the end of your first playthrough of Fallout to the beginning of Fallout 3 you might not have all that built up nostalgia telling you Fallout was so much better.

Just as a for instance, someone was criticizing the dialog in F3 as being simple, with the options being basically:

"Tell me about x."
"Tell me about y."

The thing is, I started playing Fallout last night and in the first town (Shady Sands or whatever) that's what every NPC conversation was like too.

"Tell me about radscorpions"
"Tell me about Shady Sands"
"Tell me about raiders"

The fun part was that I got the option to go to the radscorpion cave and kill them all before I even found out there WAS a radscorpion cave causing problems for the town, or anyone asking me if I wanted to help!

Of course, the interface in Fallout is 50 times clunkier so that... err... well, it's a difference anyway!

I was thinking about this the other day while looking at The Vault wiki. This is a transcript of the Myron dialog file:

NhMyron.msg

I don't remember meeting anything in Fallout 3 with that much depth or that many variables. All those different lines depending on who else is in your party. < 3 INT dialog.

artemis

Novice
Growing a bit tired of him. He doesn't seem like a normal gamer. Very casual perhaps. The written reviews on his old site really show this, and they're really good.

ushdugery

Scholar
hold right click and you get the bag option to plant things also possibly have to be sneaking, I think you can also activate it then steal it onto him as well maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom