Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC gaming is dead, long live PC gaming....

Apparently all this death of PC gaming stuff is pure bullshit.

Here RPS links to an article , on the current hard currency in the PC gaming hardware market. Worth quite a few billion, and growing. Couple interesting quotes:

“Thankfully HD TVs are sneaking into the living room bringing 720p and, in some cases, 1080i capability. Imagine, 720p almost as good as 1024 x 768—old XGA resolution introduced by IBM in 1988—wow.”

Peddie sums it up: “Fact is the PC Gaming Market is bigger, worth more money, growing faster, and has better technology than the console market. How come no one but us seems to know that?”

Black

Arcane
Didn't you hear the news?

22717033332133a20081dt9.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I think the main reason for the perception of the "death" of PC gaming is that, apart from WoW and the Sims, big overhyped console games sell much better than big overhyped PC games. So while PC game sales may be great overall, if you just look at the top ten sellers it seems like console games are completely dominant.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Because, overall, they are.

But, of course, that doesn't mean PC gaming is dead. That's dumb.

It still means there's an enormous user base out there, which means we're probably just in the doldrums and inventive interesting games should be coming soon. That's what it means right, RIGHT!?

spectre

Arcane
Oh noes, big companies like EA cannot make millions by selling their underdeveloped AAA crap, therefore PC market = dead?
Good riddance. This means more indie devs for us.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What kills PC gaming is the stupid fanboys. GRAPHIX GRAFIX GRAPHIX GEFORCE X20000 ULTRA OC @ 1000/200000/6000 X-FI!!!!!!!1!!!11!1!!!

Next thing we know, games will be coded to detect specific peripherals like razer mouses/keyboards, so if the game detect these thing the final performance will be "unlocked" for no specific reason and the fanboys will yell:

- OMFGZAZ MAH RAZER MAUZE GAEV ME 25% MOAR FPS IN COD10!
- But dude, it's just a mouse. There's something wrong with this.
- NO DUDE I SWAR ITS TRUE! IT MUTS BEE CUZ OF DA LAZER BEAM AN TEH FIBER OTIC CABEL!
- Really? Damn, I need one of those!! LOL How much did you pay?
- 200$ AT NEWEGG LOL
- GOT IT LOL!!

doctor_kaz

Scholar
PC gaming as we know it died at least a few years ago.

What is now called "PC Gaming" is basically console gaming with a mouse and keyboard.

Norfleet

Whenever I hear that something I'm doing is killing PC gaming, I'm only inclined to do it more. PC gaming as represented by EA, etc., deserves to die.

MetalCraze

Arcane
lol there is a holywar on AG.ru - pc gamers vs. idiots, and one of the latter wrote that consoles win, because PCs are too hard to understand (I wonder what poor dumb motherfucker would've done in the DOS era?)

Consoles win indeed.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
PC Gaming as we used to know it died because Microsoft made it happen with the XBox, not because of piracy or PC gaming being too expensive or complicated.

Xi

Arcane
RPG gaming is dead, all other gaming is fucking stupid. Who cares?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom