Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Solo Tabletop RPGs?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've been running solo boardgames such as Mage Knight, I was wondering if there's any TTRPG with an automatic dungeon system. I've heard IronSworn mentioned?

Last edited:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'll point out the obvious one: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition) has rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide that can be used to generate dungeons to run as a solo adventure.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
IronSworn does not have an automatic dungeon system. It does feature an automatic dungeon master in the form of a bunch of random tables and what boils down to a magic eight-ball. Pretty much the same you find in most solo RPGs. It's alright for coming up with a story, motivations, characters, traveling fluffy stuff. But it's not very useful for straight up dungeon romping.

As far as solo boardgame/RPG hybrids are concerned, there's an old school solo RPG available for free you could try called Barbarian Prince

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'll point out the obvious one: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition) has rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide that can be used to generate dungeons to run as a solo adventure.
Yes, the rules in the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide for random dungeon generation (Appendix A) could be used to create a dungeon for solo play, and even had a brief blurb at the end about adapting this system for such use, but Appendix A was based on an article by Gary Gygax appearing in the very first issue of The Strategic Review, TSR's predecessor to Dragon Magazine, which contained tables for randomly generating a dungeon specifically for solo play with the original version of Dungeons & Dragons.

For non-randomly-generated dungeons, TSR itself published a few adventure modules for solo play: MSOLO1 Blizzard Pass, MSOLO2 Maze of the Riddling Minotaur, XS1 Lathan's Gold (featuring Paco the Parrot :M), and XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain, plus a few adventures appearing in Dungeon Magazine over the years.

nikolokolus

Arcane
If you want something system neutral, I've found the Mythic Game Master Emulator to be a pretty handy tool (it's useful for generating non-solo stuff as well). There's also a Mythic game system version, but I have no experience with it and can't comment on its merits (or lack thereof).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
If you want something system neutral, I've found the Mythic Game Master Emulator to be a pretty handy tool (it's useful for generating non-solo stuff as well). There's also a Mythic game system version, but I have no experience with it and can't comment on its merits (or lack thereof).

Just want to add that Mythic GME works very well with generic systems like Savage Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom