Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

It might be hard to believe, but the Codex is one of the saner places on the internet.

Possibly. Sometimes I do wonder if it’s just that over here we’re ... differently sane.

dude this one guy's post is just a wall of inanity

Questions on the realism of the game?
1. I been waiting for such a game like this where its very challenging detective work? Is it challenging detective work? Where you got to really use your brains? Or maybe you don't want to go down the intellectually path so you go down the action path? You assist and bring back evidences and the hard part of figuring it all out is taken care by another NPC? Will it be like this?

2. Can controversial scene naked, cursing, sex, etc be censored or avoided in the game? So the game can be played by more people who do not like these scene.

3. Can they be different career path? So like the first question if players want a more action role they can pursue it. If they want a more chemist role if there is one then its available. For skills to actually be an active role like a career choice. So players can play it again being not a detective but someone else? See the evidences from another perspective? Maybe a forensic investigator? Or just a detective going around asking question is all you do! As you cannot do everything so you got to hire someone to do that job? Or maybe you need brute force so you send out the tactical squad to get things done when it comes to it? Is your game like this?

But i hope you can't be everything in the game with just a one off play.

4. You have not talked how deep you will go in the investigation? Will the forensic be very deep far deeper then any CSI games to date? Not just find so many items and then you solve it? Or speak to so and so and then you will eventually solve it? I am hoping it be like Myst but at a much higher complexity you really have to sit down and think about the evidence you find. If your smart you will find the correct evidence. If your not then you will have trouble.

I hope this is not some easy process but an exciting rewarding hardwork process. Like DNA could be temper with, change? The evidence has a time expire date like in real life, things can go wrong, you can convict the wrong person? These type of issues?

The person working in your lab could get murdered so results are stopped?

5. I wish you had a home, family, etc too that you could choose? So an added difficulty as to protecting those you love? Will the game have this? If you cannot get killed and nothing really bad happens to you then its too easy? The further you poke your nose the more enemies and friends you make the more hostile the environment gets. You have to come up with ways to protect yourself or your family? Do you go into it alone and decided not to have friends? I think this won't be in the game. But i wish it would? Where you have to from relationship and get to know the people you interact with. Cause from there they will trust or hate you etc? You relationship with everyone will define what happens to you!

That bar tender you better becareful how you talk to him or he might hate it for you and not give you information if he finds any?

Is your game like this?

Most RPG games you can kill anyone but then the quest goes however what i have not seen is building reputation and relationship. And if you do kill or do something there is a chain effect that will occur. You do not just lose a quest or companion you create a chain of difficult events that will come to haunt you the minute it occurs. Maybe its not possible as then you will need AI in the game to counter your actions and take on different strategy technique to stop you.

It would be good to see this in an RPG game where the AI can outsmart your detective skills and really destroy your investigation.

6. Choice if players find this too difficult they can be hints clues to help the player along the way if they choose to turn this on. Or have an option so the AI does not become so challenging? What works in RPG games is that they have different mods? And maybe it can be in the future where you can have it so you can get the parameters of how difficult and smart the AI can get? Do you want to have these troubling consequences when you become ruthless?

7. Homphobic? Would it help to be friends with them? Be their friend when they have none? You said you can hate them well then can they be cured too? :) Why???? So you create a story for them? Players can decided not too and create a story of how they stay as being gay too? So all option on the table? Not just hate? Consequences has got to go both ways too not just all on hate. Maybe you could make everyone gay? But this goes beyond being gay cause if this is in the game you can influence people that means you can determine who they talk too, what they like etc? Not seen in an RPG game before where NPC have a set path.

It means you can choose your friends, enemies, family, workers, etc and the consequence will follow? Maybe if they are racist around you can influence them so they get influence to escape the cult group? This kind of open gameplay?

Anyway thanks if you can reply and whether i am expecting too much and the game is not meant to be challenging as an option? And its not going to be this deep? I wish it would so i hope you have already thought of it cause its about time RPG games are like this!

8. I think what is missing in RPG game is that will the world feel alive? That the NPC have lives of their own so you can make these things happen? And that the world changes and is dynamic? NPC and things can change the specific area so even evidence can disappear!

My favorite parts:

5. I wish you had a home, family, etc too that you could choose? So an added difficulty as to protecting those you love? Will the game have this? If you cannot get killed and nothing really bad happens to you then its too easy? The further you poke your nose the more enemies and friends you make the more hostile the environment gets. You have to come up with ways to protect yourself or your family? Do you go into it alone and decided not to have friends? I think this won't be in the game. But i wish it would? Where you have to from relationship and get to know the people you interact with. Cause from there they will trust or hate you etc? You relationship with everyone will define what happens to you!

7. Homphobic? Would it help to be friends with them? Be their friend when they have none? You said you can hate them well then can they be cured too? :) Why???? So you create a story for them? Players can decided not too and create a story of how they stay as being gay too? So all option on the table? Not just hate? Consequences has got to go both ways too not just all on hate. Maybe you could make everyone gay? But this goes beyond being gay cause if this is in the game you can influence people that means you can determine who they talk too, what they like etc? Not seen in an RPG game before where NPC have a set path.

ArchAngel

Arcane
dude this one guy's post is just a wall of inanity

Questions on the realism of the game?
1. I been waiting for such a game like this where its very challenging detective work? Is it challenging detective work? Where you got to really use your brains? Or maybe you don't want to go down the intellectually path so you go down the action path? You assist and bring back evidences and the hard part of figuring it all out is taken care by another NPC? Will it be like this?

2. Can controversial scene naked, cursing, sex, etc be censored or avoided in the game? So the game can be played by more people who do not like these scene.

3. Can they be different career path? So like the first question if players want a more action role they can pursue it. If they want a more chemist role if there is one then its available. For skills to actually be an active role like a career choice. So players can play it again being not a detective but someone else? See the evidences from another perspective? Maybe a forensic investigator? Or just a detective going around asking question is all you do! As you cannot do everything so you got to hire someone to do that job? Or maybe you need brute force so you send out the tactical squad to get things done when it comes to it? Is your game like this?

But i hope you can't be everything in the game with just a one off play.

4. You have not talked how deep you will go in the investigation? Will the forensic be very deep far deeper then any CSI games to date? Not just find so many items and then you solve it? Or speak to so and so and then you will eventually solve it? I am hoping it be like Myst but at a much higher complexity you really have to sit down and think about the evidence you find. If your smart you will find the correct evidence. If your not then you will have trouble.

I hope this is not some easy process but an exciting rewarding hardwork process. Like DNA could be temper with, change? The evidence has a time expire date like in real life, things can go wrong, you can convict the wrong person? These type of issues?

The person working in your lab could get murdered so results are stopped?

That bar tender you better becareful how you talk to him or he might hate it for you and not give you information if he finds any?

Is your game like this?

Most RPG games you can kill anyone but then the quest goes however what i have not seen is building reputation and relationship. And if you do kill or do something there is a chain effect that will occur. You do not just lose a quest or companion you create a chain of difficult events that will come to haunt you the minute it occurs. Maybe its not possible as then you will need AI in the game to counter your actions and take on different strategy technique to stop you.

It would be good to see this in an RPG game where the AI can outsmart your detective skills and really destroy your investigation.

6. Choice if players find this too difficult they can be hints clues to help the player along the way if they choose to turn this on. Or have an option so the AI does not become so challenging? What works in RPG games is that they have different mods? And maybe it can be in the future where you can have it so you can get the parameters of how difficult and smart the AI can get? Do you want to have these troubling consequences when you become ruthless?

It means you can choose your friends, enemies, family, workers, etc and the consequence will follow? Maybe if they are racist around you can influence them so they get influence to escape the cult group? This kind of open gameplay?

Anyway thanks if you can reply and whether i am expecting too much and the game is not meant to be challenging as an option? And its not going to be this deep? I wish it would so i hope you have already thought of it cause its about time RPG games are like this!

8. I think what is missing in RPG game is that will the world feel alive? That the NPC have lives of their own so you can make these things happen? And that the world changes and is dynamic? NPC and things can change the specific area so even evidence can disappear!

My favorite parts:

This dude.. what is this even... and I always believed biggest autists are on 'Dex..

Prime Junta

You should have been more clear that it's homphonic, not homphobic.

Edit: this was bretty gud too, someone explaining how come they finished the game in 25 hours:

For reference, it takes me around 1 hour to read a 150-page book.

He also savescummed the skill checks. Maybe you should've seeded the RNG like I suggested very early ITT? :M :M :M

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Players can decided not too and create a story of how they stay as being gay too? So all option on the table? Not just hate? Consequences has got to go both ways too not just all on hate. Maybe you could make everyone gay?

what%2Bthe%2Bfuck%2Bam%2Bi%2Breading.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would anyone interested in this game keep watching those Let's Play videos? It's completely beyond me.

I watched the first one that was released, showing the first 10 minutes of the game, where our protagonist tells the woman in front of his apartment "I want to have fuck with you." and she bursts out laughing. Great scene, but now I know it's coming and it would've been more hilarious in-game if I hadn't seen it before. But it gave me a good first impression of what the game is like.

I haven't watched any other LP after that, because those 10 minutes were enough to sell me on the game and anything beyond this would just spoil the fun of discovering situations on your own.

Why would you want to spoil the game for yourself?

Terenty

Liturgist
I watched the first one that was released, showing the first 10 minutes of the game, where our protagonist tells the woman in front of his apartment "I want to have fuck with you." and she bursts out laughing. Great scene, but now I know it's coming and it would've been more hilarious in-game if I hadn't seen it before.

Why did you spoil this scene for me mate? Not cool

asterix

Educated

Failed Volition checks. But yeah, I couldn't resist spoiling myself a lot of Day 1, but bailed out when streamers started crossing over into subsequent days.

Now I just shitpost everywhere that mentions Disco Elysium, being so unproductive that by the time game comes out I'll have become as much of a failure as the protagonist. Full immersion. :negative:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Why would anyone interested in this game keep watching those Let's Play videos? It's completely beyond me.

I watched the first one that was released, showing the first 10 minutes of the game, where our protagonist tells the woman in front of his apartment "I want to have fuck with you." and she bursts out laughing. Great scene, but now I know it's coming and it would've been more hilarious in-game if I hadn't seen it before. But it gave me a good first impression of what the game is like.

I haven't watched any other LP after that, because those 10 minutes were enough to sell me on the game and anything beyond this would just spoil the fun of discovering situations on your own.

Complaining about spoilers with spoilers. Nice.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
What does signature skill actually do?
Is it "just" slight boost from other skills from its group or does it define character more?

I was thinking about tagging Physical Instrument or Pain Threshold.
Coin toss will decide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom