Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Prime Junta

Am going all-in on Communism. Got a bunch of skill penalties and an incentive to spout hard-left clichés at every opportunity, which only serves to annoy people.

I can confirm that this is an accurate representation of being a Communist IRL.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned much what with all the funny moments is that occasionally the writing gut punches you. Expertly. It had an emotional range that you do not normally encounter in computer games.

Jinn

Arcane
Who says the game doesn't have combat? I've already fought it out with a door, a potty mouthed kid, a black supremacist and a dumpster.

That's the thing and a great way of putting it. Even when you're talking about duels of wits. The way the conversation with the Union leader plays out kept reminding me of something like a boss fight, except instead losing big chunks of HP, I was losing chunks of dignity. Really great stuff.

Wow. Anyone else getting 3 checks in row?

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I have. I've been feeling pretty lucky or well-prepared for many of my skill rolls so far though. There have been a few with pretty high percentages that I've failed though. Fun to roll with the punches though.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Weird to see comparisons to PST here. Is the writing/story THAT interesting? (I mean, how can the story be nearly as interesting as the PST story? Of course, I am asking *you*, PST fans.)

Well, Disco Elysium is unlike any other game, and you certainly wouldn't say it's thematically similar to PST or such. You really have never played this game before. And it is utterly consistent in style, it knows what it is and it oozes it. It's aware of the genre cliches and pitfalls and doesn't take cheap shots, it just uses that awareness to carve its own path.

That's how it's comparable to PST. Is it "as good"? Who can say on day one?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Haha, got 70 reals from women. While ALL feelings told me i shouldnt do it.

Sometime checks do LIE to you.

Vatnik Wumao
Weird to see comparisons to PST here. Is the writing/story THAT interesting? (I mean, how can the story be nearly as interesting as the PST story? Of course, I am asking *you*, PST fans.)

Well, Disco Elysium is unlike any other game, and you certainly wouldn't say it's thematically similar to PST or such. You really have never played this game before. And it is utterly consistent in style, it knows what it is and it oozes it. It's aware of the genre cliches and pitfalls and doesn't take cheap shots, it just uses that awareness to carve its own path.

At most, one could argue that they share an idiosyncratic character in the developers' approach to worldbuilding.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cant play it yet, but - how terrible would be a full int/psyche build?

Not terrible at all. Just expect to fail at doing anything physical. Also I recommend putting a point in Perception early and finding some way to raise the cap or you’ll just obliviously walk past everything.
There's just one thing that's bothering me. I really can't get close to the body. What happens if we can't finish a task before the end of the day?
Nothing, but your partner will complain that you didn't do enough on the first day (although you can blame it on your hangover and what not).

There are other ways to get the body down from the tree.

If you puke and then puke again after getting the ammonia, it unlocks a thought—volumetric shit compressor—that gives you a huge bonus the next time you try. Volumetric shit compressors also unlocks the skill check so you don’t need to put another point into endurance. You can also ask Cuno how he deals with the smell and will get a bonus for taking his advice. There are probably other ways to handle it, too; this is just what I remember off the top of my head from my 1 FYS run.

I know you can have the union help you take the body down, but that might not unlock until after you make your initial assessment.

Deleted Member 16721

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned much what with all the funny moments is that occasionally the writing gut punches you. Expertly. It had an emotional range that you do not normally encounter in computer games.

Some of the funniest parts of the game are when you actually fail skill checks and get fail dialogue options. I've laughed quite a few times at the options and what I say after a failed check.

Prime Junta

Some of the funniest parts of the game are when you actually fail skill checks and get fail dialogue options. I've laughed quite a few times at the options and what I say after a failed check.

Not what I had in mind. Was thinking more about the first night, and the bubble gum.

I even think the writer may have had sex once. With a woman.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bought it because I enjoyed how it sounded original and ambitious although I really didn't expect that much. Right from the intro this grabbed me. It just oozes atmosphere and the game goes out of its way to actually let you play a role. The quality of the writing is great so far and manages to be fun, interesting and even, gasp, deep at times. These guys are talented. Dunno about their inspirations but I get some heavy Inspector Canardo vibes along with a shitload of Hunter S. Thompson. Anyway, I'm having a blast and even lauged a few times out loud at the (inner) conversations. Hope it keeps up.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previewers question Prime Junta Kyl Von Kull Hellion that I'm sure no review would dare to touch:
Did they listen, years ago, to my suggestion to be able to take screenshots with no UI? All the promo shots I see on the Steam page are like paintings - I want to be able to make screenshots like these, without UI clutter.
"H"
Real, or Fake News? Prime Junta can you test?
I tapped H a few times but didn't find any HUDless screenshots anywhere. Is there a secret folder somewhere or was it all a feeble practical joke?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Real, or Fake News? Prime Junta can you test?
I tapped H a few times but didn't find any HUDless screenshots anywhere. Is there a secret folder somewhere or was it all a feeble practical joke?
Ah, yes. “H” is short for “hide” or “hud” or “hide the HUD”. Depending on whether you’re playing on Steam or GOG you should use the appropriate shortcut or tool to take a screenie

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Disagree, in a good way. It is quite similar to PST. I decided based on the overwhelming positive to stop being butthurt about no combat, that was a wise move. It is this century's PST, for certain. It is so very reminiscent of PST actually in many ways, not the least of which is that any combat would be needless because the narrative, exploration, and skill system carry the game. This is a very rare thing for a game to glide through on these and not be an adventure game like Telltale style.

Part of why I was very skeptical was because most of the time when this is attempted it is total dogshit, this is a unique exception and they nailed it for the most part. The PST similarity is also there in that you wake up an amnesiac basically who is back from the dead, sound familiar? Likewise, you have a semi-mystical background and are far more than you appear to be. You are also in some pocket dimension much as you were in PST, so there is quite a bit of overlap. It is also written in a very similar style with the mystery to solve narrative that keeps you hooked in strongly as well as the various side plots. Also the sort of drab depressing environment, the many factions, and the hub & spoke style city to explore.

Nothing like this has existed for a long time, a lot of people spooge over Age of Decadence, this is a non-shit version of that game that is actually good. That was a highly overrated game and was another one that probably would have worked w/o the combat piece just as well. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as amazing as I hear many people here making it out to be. I think when you are starved for C&C gameplay and thick narrative even something decent seems amazing.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Mutter silently: "Immigrants, liberal kipts, fucking... men are turning into women".

/brofist game

p.s. Yes. And women need to know their place.

WoW, enjoying game so much, breath of fresh air.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Playing as a mental Superstar Cop with his faithful companion Horrifiic "Not-so-good-advice" Necktie, and enjoying every single moment of the game. Definitely GOTY for me :shittydog:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
went in with really low expectations after stygian and the whole non combat thing

turns out the game is damm good. as far as '' role play '' goes it does take it to a level i've never seen in a game

the amount of freedom you have in the game, even if it turns out it was '' fake '' freedom/choices in the end, is really impressive. i like how there s space for the character to think but also the player in the dialogue

what type of cop you guys got after the first day? i got the sorry cop ( guess it'll be the most common one )

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Disagree, in a good way. It is quite similar to PST.

I would be highly hesitant to make the comparisons, as people are dumb. But it is the closest to a spiritual successor we can expect. While other games try to copy PS:T and fail miserably (hi numana), they pull it off naturally.

The most obvious example would be the moment to find your lost dossier. It hides surprising amount of things that I am afraid that a lot of people will miss.

It is similar in spirit, not in the substance. The game does its own thing.

The big worry I have is that maybe this mundane mystery can't quite carry to the game to the end of the story like PS:T did, but we'll have to see.

Vatnik Wumao
went in with really low expectations after stygian and the whole non combat thing

turns out the game is damm good. as far as '' role play '' goes it does take it to a level i've never seen in a game

the amount of freedom you have in the game, even if it turns out it was fake freedom is really impressive.

what type of cop you guys got after the first day? i got the sorry cop ( guess it'll be the most common one )
Likewise. I'm guessing that for the boring cop you kind of need to focus on INT skills such as Encyclopedia and Rhetoric as to bore those around you with trivia and political hogwash.

Tigranes

Arcane
Simple question about sleeping at end of Day one:

how do i choose to embrace hobocop and sleep on the streets? I've internalised hobocop but Kim wants me to pawn his ballsacks.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Haha, got 70 reals from women. While ALL feelings told me i shouldnt do it.

Sometime checks do LIE to you.
Did they? I mean really, did they lie?

Those checks were for self-esteem, sense of shame and such.

Do you normally RL beg random people for money and feel good about it? If you don't - probably because you succeed at those checks and actually listen to them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom