Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Perkel

Arcane
ok i think i figured it out.

You don't need to go into that portal. Yes it gives you shop and heal but at the same time pushes you further into deeps.
On last playtrough i just went from one are to another without using portal.

Jinn

Arcane
The game kind of indirectly encourages exploring the areas thoroughly. A good strategy seems to be taking your time and being methodical in your exploration, finding powerful wands, health upgrades, phials, and stockpiling your gold. By the time you get to a Holy Mountain portal, you'll have tons of gold to spend on whatever is waiting for you there, and tons of health to get you through the tough times ahead. Also, any time you find healing spells, get them and hang on to them for as long as you can. As long as you're slow, careful, and tactical in your combat, it's a very viable approach.

It seems like the game urges you to go quickly at first, but you miss so much if you just try to go straight down in search of your portal. It's exactly why this game would work so well with a lengthier exploration-based campaign. Really hope they add one.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Quick question: how do you empty a flask (i.e., pour its contents on the ground)? I know you can drink from a flask by pressing down while it's selected, and you can throw it by pressing LMB, but that breaks it. I've seen people empty flasks without breaking them on Youtube, and I've read numerous mentions of it elsewhere; but I can't figure out what button to actually press to make it happen.

Citizen

Quick question: how do you empty a flask (i.e., pour its contents on the ground)? I know you can drink from a flask by pressing down while it's selected, and you can throw it by pressing LMB, but that breaks it. I've seen people empty flasks without breaking them on Youtube, and I've read numerous mentions of it elsewhere; but I can't figure out what button to actually press to make it happen.

Holding RMB makes you spray the potion around

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
1) Can you dig the ground? Or is there some other way to destroy terrain apart from using the bomb wand or burning with lanters?

Spells are the main way of digging (black hole, digging spell, chainsaw). Some spells can't go through harder material, some (black hole) will go though EVERYTHING.

Outside spells and explosions, there is acid. And then with a bit of luck and RNG, you can use chaotic polymorph to morph into terrain eating worm. That is risky however, as you might end up inside the brick wall and die.

2) What do you do with the egg?

Throw it. It spawns a friendly random mob. Be aware that it will eventually turn against you.

deama

Prophet
I wonder if the devs will try to make a "terraria 2.0" thing from this game, that'd be pretty neat.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Full 600 HP
Fire immunity
Lightning immunity
Melee immunity
Wand with 6xchainsaw and shield

Jumped into water to pick up a wand. Water had Chaotic Polymorphine.
Polymorphed into a Firefly
Ded

mega_shrug.gif

Perkel

Arcane
Someone said it would be cool if this game would go into new Terraria way...
I think it is safe to say it IS new Terraria. Just without building.

Like in Terraria you have rather hard goal to defeat wall of chaos. But then you realize world around you is much much much much much much much much more.

For example i bet you don't know... that like in Terraria you can go up...

Machocruz

Arcane
The Terraria shadow looms large on this game.

Saw someone "beat" the game on Twitch yesterday. Aside from a ridiculously spongey final boss, I'm sold on the game. But could use more content. Each biome could have it's own large goal, whether to defeat a boss or acquire a resource particular to that biome (like Terraria) , with all goals merging towards a final game goal. I hope they deliver a more content rich game for the official release. Everything else so far looks great.

Perkel

Arcane
I think they should stealthy update and keep that model of discovery.

I didn't know for example that you can drink and eat stuff lying around... There is apparently alchemy system in game that is totally random so you kind of have to find out yourself what combines with what etc etc etc.

Citizen

There is apparently alchemy system in game that is totally random so you kind of have to find out yourself what combines with what etc etc etc.

Yes! There're at least 2 new elements you can get, but their recipe is random every game

healing liquid and liquid that melts and turns to gold everything it touches

Machocruz

Arcane
I think they should stealthy update and keep that model of discovery.

I didn't know for example that you can drink and eat stuff lying around... There is apparently alchemy system in game that is totally random so you kind of have to find out yourself what combines with what etc etc etc.

They could do something like update the game with random events. Maybe you find a note or have a vision about some mysterious thing going in on in one of the biomes.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck i got hard into this game. Just noticed that i am dumb and apparently yo u can add effects you can buy from holy mountain to wands like necromancy effect etc.

edit:

got amazing bolt like wand. destroyed both ground and monsters like some sort of BFG. Amazing. Then i fired it without having space behind me for recoil and it killed me lol.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
Are there more of these EPS (Every Pixel Simulated) games, or is Noita the first of its kind?

I've been playing for a few hours now. Such an interesting and welcomed genre for me.

It would be great if the resolution, the amount of simulated pixels, would be at least double. Now the visuals are a bit too blocky. I've heard them say, though, that higher resolution would be too taxing for today's PCs... or something along those lines.

Yeah, Cortex Command is an oldie in this space although it took it in more of an RTS direction.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I like this game, just wish movement was a little faster.
Also what is it with the entire program closing and restarting when you die?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are there more of these EPS (Every Pixel Simulated) games, or is Noita the first of its kind?

I've been playing for a few hours now. Such an interesting and welcomed genre for me.

It would be great if the resolution, the amount of simulated pixels, would be at least double. Now the visuals are a bit too blocky. I've heard them say, though, that higher resolution would be too taxing for today's PCs... or something along those lines.

Yeah, Cortex Command is an oldie in this space although it took it in more of an RTS direction.
Oh yeah this idea is nothing new, even when Cortex Command existed. There was this simulator flash series made by a Japanese dude, called Powder. It wasn't much of a game so much as a physics engine/toy, where each pixel was a physics object. One of the most popular games in the flash game days. You could create explosions from certain materials, things like water and salt behaved differently, it was neat. I believe theres a ripoff of the game on mobile, forgot the name.

He also made a sort of auto rpg with body physics in which the stick characters had to to move each line of their body to move.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like this game, just wish movement was a little faster.
Also what is it with the entire program closing and restarting when you die?

there's a perk for moving faster

I think the program closes and restarts because it is keeping track of the entire world state and all the shit that has happened, so it closes and restarts to dump all that from memory

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
The most usual cause of death for me is late game wand with 20 slots full of spells, and me being too lazy to figure out what it does.

Meh, I'll just try it... oh, always cast nuke

lophiaspis

Arbiter
They added mod support to the Steam version. I tried playing as a Fire Mage and it’s SO DAMN SATISFYING to Fucking. Burn. Everything!!
:evilcodex:

Verdict so far: Game is very good already, worth full price, and could become a truly great game depending on how moddable it is. The vanilla roguelike mode is good but there’s just so infinitely much you could do with this engine. Maybe a new classic!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Noita's recording function is pretty neat.

zJwKvH8.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom