Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Zeriel

Arcane
Am I imagining things, or was the double-sided build queue in the original way more efficient than what they're using in that mockup? It's a small thing, but having to click on an icon every time you want to change between types of production is a huge drag on speed, to say nothing of the fact that having two queues open at once is simply better. The only upside is the queue screen being bigger/wider in general, but I don't think that is enough to compensate.

Edit: WTF are you reading? Just compare this to the posted concept.

maxresdefault.jpg

In old C&C you can manage buildings and units at the same time, in that concept you have to switch between them.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I imagining things, or was the double-sided build queue in the original way more efficient than what they're using in that mockup? It's a small thing, but having to click on an icon every time you want to change between types of production is a huge drag on speed, to say nothing of the fact that having two queues open at once is simply better. The only upside is the queue screen being bigger/wider in general, but I don't think that is enough to compensate.

If you read the explanation they seem to have decided that having to scroll up and down was a bigger drag on efficiency than tab-switching.

I think the main downside is informational - that you can't see construction progress on multiple types at the same time. They could address that by putting a progress bar on the tab buttons themselves, though.

Endemic

Arcane
Music is nice, but I'm more curious about how the AI will work.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Crazy to believe it’s nearly been one year since we formally announced the C&C Remaster and began development with Petroglyph Games and Lemon Sky Studios. To celebrate this milestone, today we’re excited to showcase one of our biggest reveals on the journey so far - a first teaser of the game in action!

And with this teaser comes an answer to one of your key questions from the past year:
  • “Is the Remaster going to be in 2D or 3D?”
We’re ready to share the Remaster has been developed in the classic 2D visual style, unlocking our ability to stay as authentic as possible to the original games. Below we’d like to provide more details on how we’re approaching these visuals, and why we felt the 2D style was the best fit for the project.

As you may remember from one of the first posts, our plan is to remaster (not remake) the classic games. Creatively, this means our guiding light has always been to remain authentic to the original feel, and we’re constantly on the lookout for ways to achieve that goal. When we recovered the source code to C&C Tiberian Dawn and C&C Red Alert, this gave us a viable avenue to accurately match the core gameplay, feel, and signature look of the legacy titles. We felt the 2D style was the best way to bring all these elements together, and ultimately achieve the authenticity we were looking for.

It’s been wonderful to see the passionate, artistic care taken by Lemon Sky and the team with this creative approach. Lemon Sky has re-concepted, re-modeled, and re-animated every gameplay asset from scratch - examples of which you’ve seen with the Construction Yard and Tesla Tank. Once it reaches the final stage as seen in those previews, we render and export the assets in 2D so they lineup frame for frame with the original visuals. In some cases like the Grenadier, this can mean over 600 frames for a single unit. This creative process has allowed us to modernize the game assets as you originally imagined them, and stay true to the gameplay you’ve known and loved for 25 years.

In addition to the authenticity, we’re excited to reveal an extra benefit of this 2D approach is that Petroglyph has been able to utilize their deep familiarity with the source code to enable the real-time switching of Legacy / Remastered graphics in Campaign missions. This means at any time when playing a Campaign mission, you can tap a single key to smoothly toggle between the original assets at 320 x 200, to the Remastered assets up to 3840 x 2160. Playing with this toggle over the past several months has been a true joy, and we believe will be one of your favorite features in the Remaster. Along with the real-time toggling, you’ll have the ability to zoom the camera to take in all the high definition detail, with an effective zoom distance between the DOS and C&C Gold camera heights.

You can see an example of these features in action in the associated video above (just in case you made it this far and haven’t watched it already). To get an even better feel for the visual difference, we encourage you to visit our new website site at:

https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered

Here you can use an interactive component to see the Legacy / Remastered visuals playing side by side. Keep in mind some of the assets you’re seeing in these videos are still in progress (I’m looking at you, Tiberium Silo), as we’re continuing to fix bugs and polish items based on feedback from our colleagues, the Community Council, and all of you.

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on everything you’re seeing in this post, so please share your comments in the thread below. Thanks for your support and participation, and looking forward to sharing more game assets in the months ahead.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Zeriel

Arcane
It's weird. Some things look good and others look godawful, like they just ran it through an upscalar. I mean, that's probably how they're planning on doing everything, but it works a lot better for buildings than others. Those tanks in particular really are muddy and unreadable.

Edit: Oh, I see what's going on. Its zoomed out. Well, that's a neat feature, but the zoomed in view looks a hell of a lot better details wise.

Terra

Cipher
Early gameplay is looking pretty solid. I wonder if they're gonna add a proper skirmish mode & new maps to C&C1 with this release. Can see myself sinking some good time into multiplayer if so.

Ba'al

Scholar
At this point 'remastered' means 'looks like shit'. Seriously, every damn (2d) game that I've seen get remastered looks like a mobile game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd rather see Firestorm remaster with new engine. Voxels were killing the game performance. I still remember how my rig were unable to run Firestorm well and then, after I assembled a new one it STILL could not run Firestom without lags. Such bad optimization. But such nice ideas.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
C&C already has a re master, the DTA mod. It has mp, it has pretty extensive campaigns, it has coop and it has improved graphics and textures, and it is free. Except nobody plays it :( .

Then you also have OpenRA. Which has much better graphics and animations, like burning wrecks and recoil for the tanks, and not this unnatural high resolution taht does not fit this 2d graphic style:

I think this EA turd will be a disappointing low effort cash grab. The remastered graphics already look terrible. It is hilarious that you guys have any hope here.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also """"balance"""" (like some completely insane choices lore-wise like the Hind being Allies-only, but honestly OpenRa breaks the bones of every single Petroglyph game and it has problably six times the MP playerbase of all Petroglyph's games put together).

I give the Remaster three weeks before it gets the dustbin threatment. After all, OpenRa is sorta free, sorta well managed (sorta, some guys are *typical modders* and I remember the hilarious episode of someone getting triggered by the Hammer&Sickle) and again, free.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
If I was in charge of the C&C franchise (and I think they are burning so much money by not taking this franchise seriously), I would do a sort of semi remake, but with more interesting physics, and a more interactive environment. For example grasslands that can catch fire and keep burning for a little while, terrain that slows down tanks. ability to hide infantry. Increasing damage when attacking from shorter ranges. A cover model where placing tanks and infantry in certain environments gives more cover. And do this on top of semi sprite like 2d graphics to get that old school feel.

And then slow the game down a little bit, give the tanks somewhat longer range while shooting slower, and allow movement in formation (with more control over movement in general) and more extensive damage models. For example more damage if shot in the back instead of the front etc.

Doing all that would really add depth to the game.

So many interesting game play innovations can be made, while keeping original C&C and red alert feel. And do a new similar campaign with einstein, tanya, stalin etc. I think something like that would really sell well. easily 5-6 million copies. They are probably leaving hundreds of millions of $ on the table here easily with one game alone. C&C is always in a top 5 when you ask people what they are nostalgic about.

Dayyālu

Arcane
So, remake Company of Heroes?

RTS games are dead as a genre, no way they can manage to sell millions of copies. It's worth remembering the only somewhat recent and innovative RTS that managed to build a community was Wargame, and even in that case Eugen crashed and burned with Steel Division.

It's simple, there isn't a market for them anymore.

Dayyālu

Arcane

What's left nowadays? AoE II, Starcraft? Both decades old. RTS games have very limited market value.

OpenRA has more MP player count that all Petroglyph's games put together. I am not saying Petro's games were bad or anything, merely that they were failures on the market.

I just looked the game up.
I don't want to play it. Not my type of rts.

Legit, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But honestly, it was fairly innovative and still is, despite hilarious mismanagement.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I found Act of Aggression by the same developer more appealing than Wargame as it was more in line with the cannons of the genre (i.e. proper basebuilding). Still not C&C, but quite enjoyable (and visually superb) RTS albeit with heavy focus on tactics.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only logical solution to the modernization of CnC is a Company of Heroes 1 approach with base buidling, tiberium/ore gathering, combat with squad and vehicle mechanics that are akin to CoH. Scale should be bigger though to allow a certain degree of freedom for turtlefags as well. It would have been pretty easy to implement it after Generals and was the logical step the game had to take.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I found Act of Aggression by the same developer more appealing than Wargame as it was more in line with the cannons of the genre (i.e. proper basebuilding).

Eugen started by making C&C copies, made with heart and skill I must say. Wargame was quite the novel approach to the RTS genre. Problem with AoA is that it's a good game, done with skill, in a genre that has no chance whatsoever. Sadly dead on arrival. I'm quite disappointed by Steel Division, despite having a shitton of good ideas (the entire Division system for example instead of tiresome "factions").

Just because they aren't being made doesn't mean there's no market for them.

There is no market for them. I am not being contrarian and by the Gods I would love a good RTS gaining MP relevance nowadays, but there have been a shitton of well-developed RTS that tried again and again and again to breach the market and failed utterly. MOBAs almost gave the deathblow to the genre, and it's not a mistery that the most played RTS are still the late 90ies early 00ies ones, the golden era of the genre.

The only logical solution to the modernization of CnC is a Company of Heroes 1 approach with base buidling, tiberium/ore gathering, combat with squad and vehicle mechanics that are akin to CoH. Scale should be bigger though to allow a certain degree of freedom for turtlefags as well. It would have been pretty easy to implement it after Generals and was the logical step the game had to take.

I've never really understood why Generals 2 failed, but my guess is that they didn't find a way to monetize and cripple it properly. Hell, if you want a design disaster there's Company of Heroes 2, poster boy for cancerous MP design.

A good Generals remake with CoH-like qualities would be awesome, but .... no chance in Heaven or Hell of that happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom