Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Prime Junta

i don't mind that, but I bet it doesn't mock any liberal politicians with specific wording like "locker room talk" that is as identifiable as it is with trump. But i guess that may just be because he is the man on top.

You sure you want to make that bet? If there's ONE THING I'd criticise about the writing it's that they're REALLY in love with subtle and not-so-subtle meta-allusions. Those things are everywhere.

(Also you get to say "Díos mio! A LIBERAL!" at a liberal.)

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
i don't mind that, but I bet it doesn't mock any liberal politicians with specific wording like "locker room talk" that is as identifiable as it is with trump. But i guess that may just be because he is the man on top.

You sure you want to make that bet? If there's ONE THING I'd criticise about the writing it's that they're REALLY in love with subtle and not-so-subtle meta-allusions. Those things are everywhere.

(Also you get to say "Díos mio! A LIBERAL!" at a liberal.)

yeah that stuff is good, but point me to the part of the game that attacks a SPECIFIC politician other than trump

where's the part that makes fun of a polticiian for pretrending to be an indian?
where's the part that makes fun of a poltician for getting a blowjob in the oval office
where's the part that makes fun of the politician for having all of their political opponents fake suicided?

those don't exist, thankfully, because they would break the immersion.

the "locker room talk" reference was just a bit too overt and tasteless imo. It's too modern and takes the player out of the game's universe.

it wont matter in 5-10 years when everyone forgets.

Edit - I criticize the game for a poorly written joke that is clearly biased by modern political feelings and I've got 3 NPC's coming after me for it. Never change, NPCs :cool:

Prime Junta

Maybe? You gotta remember though that the writers are Euros. The locker room talk thing may well have been a jab at Trump but it didn't register as such to me (also a Euro) when I was playing it; it's an old expression after all.

Insert Title Here
Think I used the "locker room talk" phrase when talking with
Titus after Klaasje had stated that she had not been raped by the merc and the "evidence tape" is just the way he talks.
Don't remember the game chastising me about it and it certainly didn't make me think about Trump at all.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Think I used the "locker room talk" phrase when talking with
Titus after Klaasje had stated that she had not been raped by the merc and the "evidence tape" is just the way he talks.
Don't remember the game chastising me about it and it certainly didn't make me think about Trump at all.

The asian partner is the one who used the phrase in my game, to criticize me for something i said.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tbh, I would be surprised if a game of that style didn't take a jab or two at the funniest US president ever. Why wouldn't it? Everyone is making fun of that guy, even the people that support him. There will be pres. Trump jokes in everything for many years to come, be ready for that

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Tbh, I would be surprised if a game of that style didn't take a jab or two at the funniest US president ever. Why wouldn't it? Everyone is making fun of that guy, even the people that support him. There will be pres. Trump jokes in everything for many years to come, be ready for that

that's true. but the joke wasn't "funny" it came off more as grandstanding/moralizing
if it was funny it would have been fine

Prime Junta

that's true. but the joke wasn't "funny" it came off more as grandstanding/moralizing

No offence bruh but you're starting to come across as a wee bit butthurt here. Prepare your anus, there will be more.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

No offence bruh but you're starting to come across as a wee bit butthurt here. Prepare your anus, there will be more.

i just stated an opinion criticizing a poorly written line, you questioned me about it, i'm explaining my stance. i'm loving the game

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The instances where Kim starts moralizing to you do feel out of place.

I probably escaped the worst of them as I had internalized feminism, so in a couple of places I was forced to say out lines I didn't want to (and Kim would've probably interjected with those).

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

I probably escaped the worst of them as I had internalized feminism, so in a couple of places I was forced to say out lines I didn't want to (and Kim would've probably interjected with those).

yeah, well said. i didn't post about the "locker room talk" thing here because that was the only line that was dumb. if it was just that, i probably would have ignored it. but he does it several times throughout the game and that was just one of the more overt poorly executed examples. It's cool that you can play whatever character you want, but you have a constant buzzing in your ear from a character with a very specific ideology and he is presented as the "wise moral compass" imo

i love the general political humor but there is just no need for something so needlessly "current year" political. it's like if planescape torment had a joke about "what the definition of 'is' is" or something about interns giving blowjobs to cigars... too obvious

at the same time, i love the character of kim, he is a total bro. he reminds me of my very stupid liberal but loyal friends

Prime Junta

Well... thing is, Kim is kind of a moralist. If you get to know him and he likes you, he'll open up about it. He's quite touchy about some stuff -- like not being treated as Revacholian because he's ethnically Seol -- and women's rights. If you play as a racist shitlord he will get seriously pissed off at you. But it is consistent with the way the character is written. He's a really sympathetic character and I felt bad letting him down, but he is not a self-insert by any of the authors, nor intended to be a moral compass of any kind. In fact if you do follow his advice consistently you'll miss out on some of the best stuff in the game.

Sizzle

Arcane
Convinced several friends to buy this wonderful game (and several more to try it out and buy it if they like it).

2ybwh2.jpg

I really hope they make a sequel to it someday (preferably soon!) :salute:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well... thing is, Kim is kind of a moralist. If you get to know him and he likes you, he'll open up about it. He's quite touchy about some stuff -- like not being treated as Revacholian because he's ethnically Seol -- and women's rights. If you play as a racist shitlord he will get seriously pissed off at you. But it is consistent with the way the character is written. He's a really sympathetic character and I felt bad letting him down, but he is not a self-insert by any of the authors, nor intended to be a moral compass of any kind. In fact if you do follow his advice consistently you'll miss out on some of the best stuff in the game.

That is not the point. You can and should have characters that have strong beliefs that they stand for. But that does not mean that they should go on long tirades about how women can do everything that men do.

Those instances are not consistent with the character or the setting itself. Kim being a former moralist should be more subdued in his criticism and deliver it from the perspective of the setting, not as some modern day activist would do.

Thankfully I've only seen two (the feminism one and the racist lorry driver). Both of those are clear candidates for a rewrite.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

That is not the point. You can and should have characters that have strong beliefs that they stand for. But that does not mean that they should go on long tirades about how women can do everything that men do.

Those instances are not consistent with the character or the setting itself. Kim being a former moralist should be more subdued in his criticism and deliver it from the perspective of the setting, not as some modern day activist would do.

Thankfully I've only seen two (the feminism one and the racist lorry driver). Both of those are clear candidates for a rewrite.

Thanks for being able to communicate what I am too drunk to properly say

Prime Junta

I don't think I saw the feminism one, but I think the truck driver interaction is pretty much as it should be. It establishes his character: his stance on racism isn't just based on his principles, it's personal. This is a theme that comes up later on a number of occasions. If anything it's out of character that he'll assess you favourably at the end if you did good police work even while being a raging neckbeard shitlord.

The truck driver interaction is also something I've seen IRL more than once from my nonwhite friends or colleagues. They're touchy about this kind shit, having been subjected to it on a daily basis for years, and they are gonna come down on you hard if they're in a position of authority over you and you start coming up with the nignoglulz. Been at the receiving end of it myself a few times, sometimes fairly, sometimes less so.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
it is one of the top three best-written games ever.

What are the other two? PST, I assume, and...?

Why, isn't it obvious? I mean that other game that you really enjoy, and feel is amazingly written.

I just really didn't want to bring P:T up, so I went for the "best of three". Personally, it'd be hard for me to pick the third one out. Dunno, Sunless Sea? West of Loathing? 80 Days? Embric of Wulfhammer Castle? Jagged Alliance 2 did not have all that great of a story but was superbly written, with one sentence containing information some other games would need an entire paragraph to convey, and the way writing meshed with everything else.

So, where are the DLC/ expansions?

Behind the locked bunker doors.

Also: thanks for all the brofists!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom