Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Squid

Arbiter
Dammit, I don't care if this is the future or not. I'll hold onto my GOG and Itch downloads and my physical discs as long as possible. Everything might want to be digital but they're doing it wrong.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
[Announcer voice]
Introducing: Stadia Autopilot

Here at Stadia we've worked hard on our predictive algorithm to bring you increased gaming performance. Now, we're taking the button-press prediction to the next level! Have you ever found yourself wanting both to game and eat your sweet and sour chicken? Have you ever started a conversation while gaming and felt unable to concentrate on both? Or have you been tired but wanting to see what happens next? With Stadia Autopilot, nothing stops your gaming progress! Just press the Autopilot button, and let Stadia do the rest. Predicted button presses will become reality. And rest assured, Autopilot predictions are sampled from our stable of pro-gamers, insuring you won't miss a thing!

With Stadia Autopilot, the best man is always in the driver's seat!
[/Announcer voice]

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
We're going full circle. Might as well just watch the game instead of playing it. I wonder if there's a booming audience for people who want to watch video games being played.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, you heard that correctly. Stadia might start predicting what action, button, or movement you’re likely to do next and do it for you – which sounds rather frightening.
Finally, games that can play themselves, so game journalists don't have to. Maybe they can do a "hold down A to win" mode.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
predictive button presses.

Yes, you heard that correctly. Stadia might start predicting what action, button, or movement you’re likely to do next and do it for you – which sounds rather frightening.

So does that count as the fastest system if technically some clever algorithm is playing the game for you?

If it feels the same as playing the game then what's the problem? Final liberation from the illusion of free will.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So we've gone from 'press a button: something awesome happens' to 'the algorithm knows you like awesome stuff so it'll press the button for you'.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's also impossible to disprove that, right now, there is an algorithm in every game doing this.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The predictive thing is already on every game's netcode.
No, only movement, which is reversible when it turns out the guy stopped half a second ago. Games don't support reversal of any other actions, so when the algorithm makes you gulp a potion, even if you didn't click it, you gulped the potion and that is final.

Also, single player games don't support reversal of movement. So stadia can't unfuck-up even the false movement prediction it'll make.

You should stick to talking about how to please your wife's arab boyfriend and other things you're familiar with.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
'a game streaming service for everyone' which is not availabe in most countries in the world :lol:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Finally, the terrible problem of right clicking, clicking download and playing 10 minutes later will be solved!

Dux

Arcane
If this actually becomes a mainstream gaming phenomenon I wonder how Intel, Nvidia, AMD etc. are going to respond.

It could be a bloodbath considering how much money is at stake.

Or am I missing something?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If this actually becomes a mainstream gaming phenomenon I wonder how Intel, Nvidia, AMD etc. are going to respond.

They'll make hardware for the server farms. Also I don't think anyone's saying real hardware will vanish overnight, it'll be a long transition. Those companies definitely better have long-term ideas about how to adapt though, for sure.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

They'll make hardware for the server farms. Also I don't think anyone's saying real hardware will vanish overnight, it'll be a long transition. Those companies definitely better have long-term ideas about how to adapt though, for sure.

Hardware for the client will still be needed, since we're talking of high-resolution real-time video decompression.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Stadia's first development studio in Montreal: https://canada.googleblog.com/2019/10/game-on-our-first-stadia-studio-is.html

Game on! Our first Stadia studio is coming to Montreal

As a child, I spent countless hours playing video games with my sisters. They transported us to exciting new worlds and took us on captivating adventures. They even taught us valuable life skills—three kids and only two controllers meant we had to learn problem solving and cooperation pretty quickly!

I was also fortunate to live in Montréal, a city with an amazing gaming legacy, having launched dozens of studios, thousands of careers, and countless incredible games. Today I’m thrilled to announce our contribution to that heritage, with the creation of Google’s very first original games studio in Montréal. Stadia Games and Entertainment’s studio will produce exclusive, original content across a diverse portfolio of games in all your favorite genres. Stadia is designed to be one destination for all the ways people play games—and Montréal is where we’re going to start building them.

Just as Stadia intends to change the way games are accessed and experienced by players, we want to change the way games are made. That starts with our culture. Stadia is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace; these diverse perspectives will shape the games we create together. We’re committed to building an environment that will empower the developers who work at Stadia to create new, unique gaming experiences. (P.S. If you’re interested in joining us, check open positions on our jobs site.)

I’ve been making games for a while now, and wouldn’t trade the experiences I’ve had for anything. But we can do better. We can do more. At Stadia, we don’t believe in being “good enough.” We believe in being more: More ambitious. More inclusive. More accessible. More immersive. More engaging. We’re bringing that mentality to Stadia Games and Entertainment, and now with our first studio, we’re looking for the best developers on the planet to join us.

Jade Raymond, VP and Head, Stadia Games & Entertainment

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Stadia is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace; these diverse perspectives will shape the games we create together. We believe in being more: More ambitious. More inclusive. More accessible. More immersive. More engaging.

I don't know what any of these words mean anymore. They are used to describe EVERYTHING these days. Completely meaningless gibberish.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Stadia is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace; these diverse perspectives will shape the games we create together. We believe in being more: More ambitious. More inclusive. More accessible. More immersive. More engaging.

I don't know what any of these words mean anymore. They are used to describe EVERYTHING these days. Completely meaningless gibberish.
It means f*ck w*ite mal*s

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Notice how they use both inclusive and diverse twice, in two short senctences. Just to hammer it down. Don't forget, we are incluse. And diverse. Did we say we are inclusive? Don't forget that!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom