Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Prime Junta

Makes sense, but it is not how it works in game. These distractions (like getting gun back) improve your chances so to speak.

I wasn't gaming. I was role-playing. I don't think I've ever been that immersed in my role in a game, not even with PS:T.

vota DC

Augur
I broke Ruby machine with 1 base physic, I had Guillaume thought (awesome one and you get it very early) and an item that helped me with the check but was very easy. I don't know why I did the blue check, she fled with the gun and didn't help in the gunfight.

Prime Junta

But technically, game rewards completionism and being nice to everyone.

Define "reward."

I got the strongest experiences from my failures, on both runs. Ruby's suicide hit me hard on the first time. Calling Kim a yellow monkey-fucker and dealing with the aftermath, the second run. Those utterly dismal disappointments were what made the successes stand out. I really felt like a hopeless failure clawing my way back into the human race.

molotov.

Novice
Is DE doing okay money-wise? Where do they page wages? Search has Brighton popping up.

The team is split between Brighton and Tallinn. I don't know how they're doing money-wise, but indirect evidence seems to indicate that it's not been a complete flop at least.
They can always turn to kickstarter if things get complicated, but I think they will be fine. The Steam page has 1129 reviews so far, which is quite good for an isometric rpg.

Not to mention that this game got the best form of hype, the post launch hype.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You have to be pretty dum to make Ruby suicide considering right before you meet her you state yourself from found bullet that she is ready to take her life. So just asking her to talk is incredibly easy and nice option.

Define "reward."
Oh stop. You larping some failures doesn't change the fact that some quest lines are pure content which you can miss, and you get nothing out of your choice of *not* doing said content. The gun hunt is a prime example of this.

You larping that you "think" you shouldn't do it does not affect the actual game state.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Man, i wish Kim would just let me sit in a bench and wait, i genuinely can't think of things to do or talk about right now, i have interacted and spoken with everyone about what i can talk about, and it's making the bench look so good, but Kim is just like "You can sit AFTER we solve the case!".

Seriously, you go with me on the most seemingly random stuff, and this is what you complain about the most?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Man, i wish Kim would just let me sit in a bench and wait, i genuinely can't think of things to do or talk about right now, i have interacted and spoken with everyone about what i can talk about, and it's making the bench look so good, but Kim is just like "You can sit AFTER we solve the case!".

Play a board game with him.

Prime Junta

You have to be pretty dum to make Ruby suicide considering right before you meet her you state yourself from found bullet that she is ready to take her life. So just asking her to talk is incredibly easy and nice option.

I guess I was pretty dumb then. Just another failure in a long line of failures.

I went for the machine the first chance I got. It was an easy check and I knocked it over. Then she put the gun in her mouth. I failed a Rhetoric check, and boom.

Oh stop. You larping some failures doesn't change the fact that some quest lines are pure content which you can miss, and you get nothing out of your choice of *not* doing said content. The gun hunt is a prime example of this.

I got one hell of an emotional experience, and a bunch of new stuff to see on my second playthrough. I would have enjoyed that first run less had I done all of that at once. It would've felt like lawnmowing. I also had a very high chance of getting the lady to sign the paper (because high Suggestion), and I didn't want to have her do that, so I never asked: fuck Evrart, he can keep my damn gun. I wanted to solve that fucking case, damn the rest.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finding your lost firearm, which you are told to do by your superiors and Kim and which makes sense due to incoming events is lawnmowing?

I guess so is doing the cute dice maker quest then? Why do that?

Prime Junta

Finding your lost firearm, which you are told to do by your superiors and Kim and which makes sense due to incoming events is lawnmowing?

I guess so is doing the cute dice maker quest then? Why do that?

Bruh.

I'm just coming down from one of my all time peak gaming experiences.

You're telling me "you're doing it wrong."

With the greatest respect and much affection, go eat a dick.

Prime Junta

You liked the cute dice maker quest I take it.

I didn't know she really had a quest.

In my second playthrough I did get to tell her the true cause of the curse. In my first one I just passed a Shivers check and told her after that, without knowing what the deal with the church was. The first time around I also bought a pair of her most expensive dice because I thought they were cool. Was there something more to it?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well you crashed into some random place NPC asked you not to, got rewarded by a few interesting quests and clues to the case (hidden guns); so I wonder what would be a "reward" of not doing this.

Prime Junta

Well you crashed into some random place NPC asked you not to, got rewarded by a few interesting quests and clues to the case (hidden guns); so I wonder what would be a "reward" of not doing this.

I was looking for a fridge to stow a corpse in. Cuno had told me there is one in the building. Plus I had a severe hangover and wasn't acting entirely rationally. Oh and I thought that since her room was overlooking the yard she might have seen something.

Silentstorm

Learned
You can find some weird stuff, for example, the locked container close to Evrart's office is probably worth save scumming, preferably with Kim close by so that you can open a container with the magic of talking.

You do meet a strange rich man with a face you can't see and apparently light powers that can give you 100 Real, and, amusingly enough, if you talk to Evrart about it, he seems to believe you and implies he told his people to check the containers for reality warping rich people, there's just some weird delightful stuff hidden away not related to the main quest, though this particular one is locked behind a tough skill check.

Parabalus

Arcane
I found that one of the cooler parts of the game.

You can just talk rich people into giving you massive amounts of money, while poor detectives get to pick up bottles in a plastic bag for pennies.

Silentstorm

Learned
Solved the Boombox bug thanks to Reddit, found out a thread there stating what lines to change to get the Boombox, didn't even pay for it but just talking to the clerk makes it look like i did, and i managed to play the tape!

Hell yeah, now at the Ruby part.

Stompa

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla mentioning PnP games often got me thinking about a thing in DE that I found odd. Namely, that the game really likes to wank its setting but barely uses it. It reminded me of DMs and trashy fantasy authors that meticulously craft every little detail in their imaginary worlds and feel like they absolutely need to show you their work even if it's dull deriviative drivel. What DE does strikes me as an infinitely better written version of that. It keeps telling you about those other districts which you never get to see, other made-up countries that boil down to vague not-Africa and not-Japan and a lot of history out of which only one factoid is relevant to the case. There are differences with our world, yes, but how do they play out? Cars look different but are essentially the same, tape computers are in vogue but the only difference is that a nice old lady needs to hear your password, breach-loaded firearms are banned yet no one lets out more than one bullet in quick enough succession for that to matter. About the only truly outlandish thing in DE is pale and the anomaly in church that's connected to it, all the rest is just pointless fluff. Contrast it with Fallouts, AoD or VtM:B where their settings shown off extensively through gameplay and story, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Silentstorm

Learned
I think that wasn't the point, some odd things aside, the game was always intended to be mostly a noir story revolving around a murder that happened in one district, and the side quests are also relegated to being in it, Harry and Kim don't have any reason to go anywhere else in a way that makes sense.

Only if this was a big conspiracy or a case revolving around a country travelling serial killer you were chasing would you go around going to other places, the lore is just there because some people just like lore, or just to give a view of the setting itself to the player, i wasn't really expecting a big world to explore out of DE, but what was there was fine.

As for the setting, the outlandish parts are mostly away from people, Kim isn't exactly a believer for example, they are things you have to go out and look for, and regarding only some slightly different things, it is sadly common, heck, if i look around, there are probably a hundred different names for what is essentially coffee in sci-fi, only changing the name or a design of a thing slightly and acting like it's different is quite a common technique.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm leaving a small note here for a future point when I've found the answer:

I don't think that drug trafficker woman murdered the merc. If the possibility for a sniper shot is real, then it could have been only the other two mercs, because one of them must have been reporting information on the wind to the other. Otherwise a shot through the man's mouth with a 4.5 mm bullet from ~700 m would becomes from nigh impossible a complete impossibility. If the whole sniper shot is a red herring on the other hand, this still doesn't necessarily point to the drug trafficker.
Nice, I was right about half of it at least. Doing such a shot from such a distance is still far fetched IMO.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, the result is that there's a lot of lore in the game you can dig into if you want, but in almost every single case you can ignore it if you don't want a loredump and you are totally fine. People with POE trauma probably appreciate it the most.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I prefer the idea of Harry just never being able to let the woman from his past go, and the memories eating him up until he just snaps and becomes an unhinged alcohol-powered fucker who gave up on life. This, of course, also combines with the stress of his job and the performance expectations he puts on himself for being a SUPERSTAR COP.

At some point, a man's mind just gives in.
A "Boomer Cop", so to speak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom