Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
TOW is being sold for 1 dollar...
As part of Microsoft's strategy to get people into the Xbox ecosystem. Also, rented is the word, not sold.

Codex Year of the Donut
The thing is, people that have been catered to suddenly find out that the entire world is not comprised of people like them and they got cranky. All the while not realizing that companies do continue to cater to them because they are the majority, it's just not all the time with everything ever like it was before, companies will not compromise profit for ideology, they know what to target and how to target it.

Deadfire flopped and TOW is being sold for 1 dollar...
Not on consoles.
TOW is the only singeplayer game in the top 10(? I don't think there's even another singleplayer game in the top 20 either) most watched games on Twitch in the past week: https://sullygnome.com/games/watched
Take from that what you will.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't misrepresent things, PLENTY of codexers absolutely despise the garbage that is DE. I'd venture to say more people dislike DE or are neutral about it than people who do like it. It's not even an RPG for god's sake.

I used to think you were based, Jarl. What happened? :(

You dislike it for the lack of combat/oldschool RPG mechanics, my mate.

I do like dungeon crawls as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy RPGs with a different focus (Planescape Torment is a big favorite of mine, too).

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Not on consoles.
TOW is the only singeplayer game in the top 10 most watched games on Twitch in the past week: https://sullygnome.com/games/watched

Didn't a twitter post was talking about the games sales being really good was posted here.. Anyone can confirmed if that was actually true yet.

Anyway, the game certainly is WAY more popular than Deadfire (maybe even POE1). Especialy with the media and general streamers liking a lot so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If those SJW cunts had any kind of talent and all and would deliver a genuinely good game, I could even look past them pushing their shitty ideology into it.

It's almost as if that's what I've been saying the whole time. It's not politics, it's how shit the writers are, yet people complain it's "politics in muh vidya" while failing to realize that politics have always existed. Actually, they don't fail to realize that, they want to make it seem like the previous politics were a neutral stance with no political affiliation, which is devious.

No, previous RPGs who just offered you cool fantasy stories without agenda pushing were not political.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The thing is, people that have been catered to suddenly find out that the entire world is not comprised of people like them and they got cranky. All the while not realizing that companies do continue to cater to them because they are the majority, it's just not all the time with everything ever like it was before, companies will not compromise profit for ideology, they know what to target and how to target it.

Deadfire flopped and TOW is being sold for 1 dollar...
Not on consoles.
TOW is the only singeplayer game in the top 10(? I don't think there's even another singleplayer game in the top 20 either) most watched games on Twitch in the past week: https://sullygnome.com/games/watched

Minecraft isn't a single player game? Also, a lot of the CoD streams were initially the campaign.

Anyway, this happens with every moderately large release.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not a shit argument because this is what it boils down to. Expecting something that has come before means something has been normalized and you don't notice it, which is where the problem is. To make a different analogy, the mass consumption of meat at which most people don't bat an eye is because the systematic suffering and death of animals on a massive scale has been normalized. Everything can be habituated through repetition, no matter how unjustified and extreme. That doesn't mean the normalized thing isn't political, it might not be, but when we are dealing with groups of people (especially prostitutes to be exploited by straight men) it most likely is.
I never gone of a brothel on my life and I think men that pay for sex are just major losers but I like brothels to be there, normalization is a so overused and overexploited concept that pretty much means shit at this point. Brothels are cool not because I condone the supposedly exploitation of women through "normalization" or that I find it normal or moral but because it signal things about the setting on a quick glance, the struggle of the lower classes, the dirty feeling of anomie on the poorer districts and as you are a roleplayer, it lets you be a part of the societal degeneracy. My biggest issue with this normalization bs argument certain kinds of people use, is that showing isn't condoning and the arts are filled with showing of the most terrible things.

Because artists condone sons killing their fathers? Or incest? Or all kinds of depravity depicted on movies or books? If you have your work showing certain unsavory things, that means you are normalizing it? Art wasn't made to show only the nicest things about human beings on a safe way but it is as interesting if not more to see the degraded and the depravity inherent on human nature. It is extremely arrogant and naive to think that sanitizing works of art will make people stop being depraved, irrational, greedy, crazy and all that shit. "Normalization" is just a delusion, a way for people to imagine humans as pure and you just need to remove the bad influences of society and they will become good savages.

Arts is in great part of a way of people to talk about such things that are so bad and out of understanding that need to be told through stories so the person consuming understand the feeling. I despise and only have contempt for people that think sanitizing the medium of talk and expression will cure men of their insanity.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Literally the only time I've ever even spent more than 2 seconds thinking about "brothels in RPGs" was just now while reading this thread. I have never once, ever, seen anyone say they "needed a brothel" in X or Y game. Smells like that female writer was just conjuring that out of thin air as justification for some belief she already had, or whatever.

"We put a brothel in because we know how much RPG players demand it!" is a 100% false statement. She might believe that though, which is the actual problem.

Codex Year of the Donut
Literally the only time I've ever even spent more than 2 seconds thinking about "brothels in RPGs" was just now while reading this thread. I have never once, ever, seen anyone say they "needed a brothel" in X or Y game. Smells like that female writer was just conjuring that out of thin air as justification for some belief she already had, or whatever.

"We put a brothel in because we know how much RPG players demand it!" is a 100% false statement. She might believe that though, which is the actual problem.
They put it in because it's expected.
Typically when creating a world based around a setting you put things from that setting in it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sure, that I understand. If you're desigining an area that should have a brothel in it, then you put a brothel in it.

I thought she was saying though that rpg players "demand" a brothel in every RPG, which is untrue.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
do i lose much by going solo?

Yeah, although it's worth pointing out there are some perks supporting solo playthroughs. So you lose some gain some.

Is there any decent reason to turn in the doctor for the bounty, even though he was the only one responsible for releasing you from cryo stasis? A reason that is not "lol I'm playing an evil character this time"?

Supposedly you branch out into entire new main quest line with different missions. Although I'm sure the board story and scientist story eventually overlap because in the end it's all centered around Hope and the state of colony.

and 8 others

Savant
I'm like 10 pages behind but I find it hilarious that 'Gogol' which is an actual name can't be used because it means... uhh... something in some language?

I think it's an ethnic slur for Ukrainians. Russians spell it хохол (khokhol) but Ukrainians use the letter g for almost the same phoneme. I think Nikolai Gogol picked it as his nom de plume as a self-deprecatory pun.
His name was not a nom de plume and Nikolai Gogol subscribed to the doctrine of the triune Russian nation. And as far as hohol is concerned, it's written exactly the same in Ukrainian as in Russian.

Don't know if this was answered already but "gogol" is an insult in French, a derivative of "mongol" (i.e. someone suffering from Down syndrome), but I don't think I've heard it since the 80s.

Edit: I should add that in French "mongol" both means Mongolian and mongoloid. Hey, thanks to this game we're learning so much about other cultures...

Last edited:

hexer

Don't know if this was answered already but "gogol" is an insult in French, a derivative of "mongol" (i.e. someone suffering from Down syndrome), but I don't think I've heard it since the 80s.

Edit: I should add that in French "mongol" both means Mongolian and mongoloid. Hey, thanks to this game we're learning so much about other cultures...

People with Down syndrome are always happy-looking. Bless them

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never gone of a brothel on my life and I think men that pay for sex are just major losers but I like brothels to be there, normalization is a so overused and overexploited concept that pretty much means shit at this point. Brothels are cool not because I condone the supposedly exploitation of women through "normalization" or that I find it normal or moral but because it signal things about the setting on a quick glance, the struggle of the lower classes, the dirty feeling of anomie on the poorer districts and as you are a roleplayer, it lets you be a part of the societal degeneracy. My biggest issue with this normalization bs argument certain kinds of people use, is that showing isn't condoning and the arts are filled with showing of the most terrible things.
But this is not what I am arguing. I'm not saying this from the perspective of the artist, but from the perspective of the people who want buff dudes to save the pretty maidens and getting cranky when not getting that. There is no problem with showing brothels and buff dudes saving maidens, but not showing brothels and showing an asexual girl mechanic who is in love with a Chinese woman also shouldn't be a problem, but somehow it is. They argue that the first is apolitical (which is not true), but the second is politics turned up to eleven and women/SJWism ruining writing in video games.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is there any decent reason to turn in the doctor for the bounty, even though he was the only one responsible for releasing you from cryo stasis? A reason that is not "lol I'm playing an evil character this time"?
no
and it leads to bad ending sort of

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not a shit argument because this is what it boils down to. Expecting something that has come before means something has been normalized and you don't notice it, which is where the problem is. To make a different analogy, the mass consumption of meat at which most people don't bat an eye is because the systematic suffering and death of animals on a massive scale has been normalized. Everything can be habituated through repetition, no matter how unjustified and extreme. That doesn't mean the normalized thing isn't political, it might not be, but when we are dealing with groups of people (especially prostitutes to be exploited by straight men) it most likely is.

Because artists condone sons killing their fathers? Or incest? Or all kinds of depravity depicted on movies or books? If you have your work showing certain unsavory things, that means you are normalizing it? Art wasn't made to show only the nicest things about human beings on a safe way but it is as interesting if not more to see the degraded and the depravity inherent on human nature. It is extremely arrogant and naive to think that sanitizing works of art will make people stop being depraved, irrational, greedy, crazy and all that shit. "Normalization" is just a delusion, a way for people to imagine humans as pure and you just need to remove the bad influences of society and they will become good savages.

Arts is in great part of a way of people to talk about such things that are so bad and out of understanding that need to be told through stories so the person consuming understand the feeling. I despise and only have contempt for people that think sanitizing the medium of talk and expression will cure men of their insanity.
What you say is perfectly true. But what is happening is completely bonkers, there are people out there who think that when an artist puts something into his/her story, they condone it. Just rememer when MCA was questioned about him condoning rape, just because he wrote about it in a game. These people are nuts.

brothels.... lets you be a part of the societal degeneracy.
Hey, hey hey! Don't call me a social degenerate!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom