Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Vaporum: Lockdown is the upcoming prequel to steampunk dungeon crawler Vaporum

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fatbot Games; Vaporum: Lockdown

The Legend of Grimrock series might be over, but we still have Vaporum, the steampunk dungeon crawler considered by some to be the next best game in the modern revival of the real-time grid-based dungeon crawler genre. The developers at Fatbot Games have been talking about doing a prequel since last year and today they're ready to reveal it. Here's the announcement teaser and press release for Vaporum: Lockdown.

Vaporum: Lockdown, a prequel to the award-winning steampunk dungeon crawler Vaporum (Vaporum Trailer), is coming out in early 2020, and will be available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The game expands on everything that made the first game good, including more menacing enemy types, broadened skill trees, new gadgets, plenty of new unique items, and original puzzles and mechanics. Vaporum: Lockdown follows the story of Lisa Teller, a teleport operator & scientist, who struggles to survive the aftermath of a terrible event.

About Vaporum: Lockdown

Vaporum: Lockdown is a prequel to the award-winning steampunk dungeon crawler Vaporum (90% rating on Steam). It is a grid-based, single-player, single-character game, seen from a first-person perspective in an original steampunk setting, inspired by old-school games like Dungeon Master I and II, the Eye of the Beholder series, and the more recent Legend of Grimrock I and II.

You will encounter even nastier enemies with unique strengths and attack patterns. To beat them, you will have to employ a broad array of weapons, gadgets, upgrades, and smart tactics.

Fortunately, there's plenty of powerful toys to play with. Brand new weapon types, each with a specific use, many new unique weapons, synergistic armor pieces, gadgets that allow you to raise your own army of underlings or to manipulate the battlefield, boosters, and more.

Prepare to solve new kinds of puzzles and hazards, using new interactive elements, which will test both your wits and reflexes. The overall storyline will have you piecing together a solution to the main obstacle, where the individual pieces are spread over several levels. You will learn a lot more about the world and its inhabitants through voiced dialogs, phonodiaries, and written notes.

Improve your exoskeleton to be ready to face the dangers that lurk around every dark corner.

VAPORUM: LOCKDOWN – MAIN FEATURES:

• Fight in real time! First-person real-time combat with deadly foes with varied abilities and behaviors.
  • Stop time mode! Enable this mode at any time to cause time to only pass when you act, giving you unlimited time to reason about your next best move. Useful in both combat and puzzles!
  • Be tactical. Use various attacks and read your opponents – each enemy has a different set of strengths and weaknesses.
  • Fully voiced main characters. Explore the story through a fully voiced main protagonist and several other key characters, in the form of dialogs and phonodiaries.
  • Tons of customization options! The gadget-based RPG system allows you to evolve your exoskeleton over time and also adapt to any situation at will.
  • Absorb fumium from defeated enemies. Unlock additional circuits in your exoskeleton and gain new bonuses and skills.
  • Keep your wits about you. Solve level-wide objectives and puzzles that vary in difficulty.
  • Explore and loot. Look for optional passages filled with additional challenges and rewards.
  • Survive the chaos that has set in after terrible events, and escape the tower on full lockdown!
  • Immersive steampunk setting. Beautiful graphics, stunning sound design, and an atmosphere of constant danger lurking around every corner.

According to its Steam page, Vaporum: Lockdown is due out in the first quarter of 2020. Fatbot plan to reveal more details about it later on at their new official website.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Vaporum was fantastic, glad it was successful enough to justify a sequel.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Vaporum was great! I got far into it, but I have not finished it yet. This new one's espoused features leave me skeptical of it... because it stinks of acquiescence to mass market pressure.

Several of these features I'd rather not have, and I can easily envision them as irritating; also detrimental to a dungeoncrawler—as opposed to games like Daggerfall, or some such.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vaporum is def. one of the best blobbers of the modern era, easily up there with Grimrock. Not with the same cult following, since it's weird SF instead of stock fantasy, plus LoG1 mainstream success was a nostalgia fuelled one-off, but mechanically just as good.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vaporum was a good game and I'll be buying the new one at launch.

The game didn't have the pause option when it was released, but it was added because some of the older gamers couldn't play it well because the enemies were faster than in LoG. You have to move and attack quickly in this game. Also enemies have more varied attack patterns, so side stepping an enemy isn't always a good choice.

The story was decent and the ending left me wanting to know more. The only downside I can find are the graphics, the ones in LoG being better.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the first one quite a lot. I hope this one has a character system that's a bit more involved, because that part was pretty underwhelming in the first game. Most items were just incremental upgrades inside their path and after you chose the armor there weren't really that many options to develop the character.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Awesome story for a blobber, the narrative was great. Good balance in combat. The ending boss was...meh. But still well done and I'm looking forward to the next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom