Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Deleted Member 16721

I expected it to have interesting, relatable characters well grounded in the setting. If they have quests, I expected those to be interesting and to open up new angles on them and the world they’re in. I expected much less but more characterful and impactful loot rather than the mountain of leveled MMO pap we got. I expected that they had actually thought the setting through, with the comedy emerging from the contrast between its inherent absurdity and playing the characters in it straight.

You know, like they did in FO, FO2, Arcanum, and Bloodlines.

None of this would have required a single dollar more, and some of it — loot, specifically — might even have cost less.

1. So far I've found good characters. Parvati, Vicar Max, Reed Tobson. Even the lesser characters are interesting, getting their takes on the colony and their fellow residents of Edgewater. I've only played a few hours so it's still early, but it's looking good so far.

2. Quests are interesting, even if they have you fetch something. The main quest is most interesting, but I enjoyed collecting gravesite fees as well as finding the weird occult book thing. Sometimes a fetch quest can also be interesting if the items involved and lore exposition helps flesh out the world.

3. Itemization so far is excellent, I give the game props for it. The inventory is nice and organized and I haven't found anything MMO about it so far. It's slickly designed.

4. Thought the setting through? So far the setting is one of the best aspects for me. Corporation controlled settlements, that to me is an interesting premise. The ambiance of the game is nice and the music is very good, despite hearing some negative opinions about it.

In short, it's like an immersive sim like Bloodlines mixed with the groundedness of Fallout and the mystery of Arcanum. Of course it's a modern game so it doesn't look exactly like the games of yesteryear, but i feel they pulled it off quite nicely given their shallow budget and the fact it's an AA game. Not sure what else you were expecting or how high those exectations were. It nails it for me so far.

Prime Junta

I’ll nail another thesis to the church wall.

The RPG is a medium for story.

It could be an open story you make, or a branching path the creators make, but if it’s not there or not important, make some other type of game.

For example if you’re only really interested in combat and progression, make Battle Brothers. Not a RPG and doesn’t pretend to be, but it’s hella good. Or if it’s shooting, make a shooter.

But if you want to make a RPG, it’s got to be about something or it’s not worth it.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm 34. And yes, I do have a childlike mind that still gets excited for new games and plays them and enjoys them. It's not hard to do. Just quiet the mind, through meditation or through not paying attention to your thoughts, and enjoy the games with your intuition. Gaming becomes a lot more fun when you're not using your mind to be edgy and come up with 101 reasons why you hate the game.

Keep playing it fluent and tell us if you still feel the same in a few hours. I avoided this thread for ages because I was enjoying it at first and didn't want to be spoiled, but after a while the blandness of everything sucks the fun out the game. I got the same feeling playing this as I did Fallout 4. Technically, there's lots of stuff to do. It's just that there's an air of 'what's the point?' about it all.

No need to think about character builds really as by about lvl 15 you'll be able to do pretty much everything with combat being so easy. Quests are 90% 'go here and kill/ fetch'. Loot is too plentiful and boring with it. Even the main quest fails to engage as why should I care about what the Board does to the system?

Prime Junta is right about this one and I'm pretty sure when you've played a bit more you'll see it.

jewboy

Arbiter
So this game has no redeeming qualities at all? Is it worse than PoE? How does it compare to Rage or Borderlands or Far Cry 4? Far Cry 4 has timed quests and I really hate those, but hunting snow leopards was kind of fun and the graphics were amazing.

Prime Junta

I'm 34. And yes, I do have a childlike mind that still gets excited for new games and plays them and enjoys them. It's not hard to do. Just quiet the mind, through meditation or through not paying attention to your thoughts, and enjoy the games with your intuition. Gaming becomes a lot more fun when you're not using your mind to be edgy and come up with 101 reasons why you hate the game.

Huffing nitrous is fun too.

It’s still true that Bieber isn’t Beethoven and psyching yourself to switch off your critical faculties won’t make it so.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
None of that proves that what said people are asking for is social justice for men.
Maybe I'm just extraordinarily good at pattern detection.
Whether or not you've spotted a pattern is irrelevant. Assertions presented without evidence can be summarily dismissed.
Patterns are evidence. It's not required for someone to say these exact words for it to be the same talking points as the SJWs. Quite the contrary, there's usually paraphrasing in politics to avoid being associated with something else even though it's the same thing.

Deleted Member 16721

You think we are trying to find flaws in most games we play?

Maybe not consciously, but that's the work of the mind. The mind creates thoughts that are negative to sully your enjoyment of things. If you quiet that aspect of yourself and let your heart speak, you see that it's all love. Get back to acting like you did as a kid when you got a new video game for Christmas. Most of the time you always enjoyed it and didn't pick it apart consciously or subconsciously. I can still remember some of my first RPGs that I felt were perfection in every sense of the word. That's the type of approach you should have for new things.

I don't know why Codexers lost that. Your minds are too strong.

Yosharian

Arcane
None of that proves that what said people are asking for is social justice for men.
Maybe I'm just extraordinarily good at pattern detection.
Whether or not you've spotted a pattern is irrelevant. Assertions presented without evidence can be summarily dismissed.
Patterns are evidence. It's not required for someone to say these exact words for it to be the same talking points as the SJWs. Quite the contrary, there's usually paraphrasing in politics to avoid being associated with something else even though it's the same thing.
You didn't present any evidence of a pattern, you simply said that one existed.

Assertions presented without evidence can be summarily dismissed.

JDR13

Arcane
So this game has no redeeming qualities at all? Is it worse than PoE? How does it compare to Rage or Borderlands or Far Cry 4? Far Cry 4 has timed quests and I really hate those, but hunting snow leopards was kind of fun and the graphics were amazing.

Depends what you like. Rage, FC4, and Borderlands are just shooters, so it has more to offer than those at least in RPG elements. Personally, I think it's better than those games, but I don't consider any of those games very good so that's not saying much. If you just want to shoot things though, there are lots of better options.

Kind of hard to compare it to PoE since that's an isometric party-based game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Maybe not consciously, but that's the work of the mind. The mind creates thoughts that are negative to sully your enjoyment of things. If you quiet that aspect of yourself and let your heart speak, you see that it's all love. Get back to acting like you did as a kid when you got a new video game for Christmas. Most of the time you always enjoyed it and didn't pick it apart consciously or subconsciously. I can still remember some of my first RPGs that I felt were perfection in every sense of the word. That's the type of approach you should have for new things.

if i was half as positive as you i might be happier in life i dunno.

Yosharian

Arcane

God, hippies are the worst

zurek

Literate
I've finished Emerald Vale and my opinion so far is that Obsidan should ditch the rtwp nostalgia train and switch to competing with Bethesda.

Trashos

Arcane
I am not sure I can completely fault Tim and Leonard since there was also the incident with the artist making a stink on twitter about Leonard and most of the devs at Obsidian supporting her an artist instead of the director.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Was there infighting during development?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

What the fuck are you talking about? I absolutely picked apart games like an autistic retard when I was a kid.

I remember some of the first games I played as being really fucking good but loo and behold as that opinion was pretty much universal when I went online, across generational barriers.

Prime Junta

If you quiet that aspect of yourself and let your heart speak, you see that it's all love.

I’ve done enough meditation to be confidently able to say that what you’re describing isn’t love. It’s what Chögyam Trungpa dubbed idiot compassion. Not the same thing at all.

It has nothing to do with drugs. My views are based on ancient knowledge described by Hindu and Buddhist religions that's been around for thousands of years. Any good guru will tell you the same thing.
In the Gita, Vishnu advises Arjuna to slay his enemies without regret, if that is his calling. Morale of the story? There is no right or wrong. Even you, supposedly in tune with divine, universal love, are not able to love or even understand our hate for TOW. The love you perceive is yet another illusion of the mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom