Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

user

Savant
Interview with the lead designer... It's almost sad to watch...

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Cinematic trailer was great, pretty disturbing vibe. Although there is something Diabloish lacking in a minor way, perhaps it does need overt Christian imagery as one poster in this thread suggested. Can't really complain at all though, just a stellar trailer.

Gameplay looks kinda shit though. I played the demo/open beta of D3 and never bought the game, something (actually a lot) was just off, this looks like more of the same. Also too much visual clutter and shit. Looks like D2 will remain the pinnacle of the genre forever.

Also, since this thread is steering towards music, the D2 cave theme rules. Such a good mix of industrial elements (especially the drum machine), choirs and real instruments.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Diablo's soundtrack overall is unsurpassed to this day, IMO. Electric guitars and industrial ambient sounds create a dark and gothic atmosphere like no other. Sends chills down my spine every time.

I still remember that dark day in Fall back in the late '90s when I was playing this game all home alone, no lights on due to losing track of time, the Hell track blaring out of the speakers because nobody else was around, and I was about to go down to the final level where Diablo was. The last few moments of the song were playing intensely and actually made me stop playing from feeling overwhelmed and freaked out. I got to the load screen, saw the pentagram with Diablo's shadow looming over it and TP'd the fuck out.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

Zeriel

Arcane
Diablo's soundtrack overall is unsurpassed to this day, IMO. Electric guitars and industrial ambient sounds create a dark and gothic atmosphere like no other. Sends chills down my spine every time.

Of course, the industry chose to just keep Diablo's hack-slash elements and drop its music, with everything eventually sliding towards full orchestra. You gotta have orchestral soundtrack for your fantasy titles, because of reasons.

The decline of game music since the 90s has been such a hard fall, perhaps the greatest decline we had overall. It should really get more commentary. The constant orchestral drone in every modern game of every genre reminds me of and seems equivelant to elevator "muzak" or the music you hear in corporate ads.

Kingston

Arcane
Cinematic trailer was great, pretty disturbing vibe. Although there is something Diabloish lacking in a minor way, perhaps it does need overt Christian imagery as one poster in this thread suggested.

Have we watched the same trailer? The opening 30 seconds SCREAM Christian imagery...

One cross and one church in the first 30s of a 9min trailer and that's about it. I'm not making some sort of cultural point here about needing more ChristianityTM in games, I just feel the imagery was more direct especially in D1. But this is nitpick territory.

Zeriel

Arcane
To be honest, the world in which Diablo 1 was made is kind of gone now. That was a time when the only religion most people knew was Christianity, so a whole narrative and world built around that makes sense. Now Christianity is a dead religion, and Arab beliefs and religions went from exoticism to something people live with day to day. It's the same way I feel about the design space of the 90's in general--the culture was different, you can see the same people who made games back then make completely different games now, because they've been changed by the new culture (in ways I think are objectively inferior, mind). You look at David fucking Gaider in the early 00's and he was the guy who made a mod called Ascension for BG2, now he's a total fucking loser. Same seems to be the case for most designers.

It's not just a matter of corporate beating down on them, given maximum freedom they still make awful modern shit because they genuinely have been transformed by the shift in culture into believing their old work sucks and the new standard is great.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Never forget the sheer incline that was Diablo 1's Hell theme.

The entire OST is amazing.
And the art design is top tier, too.
Even the game isn't half bad, even if it is a dumbed down Rogue-lite with saving (unless you play solo multiplayer hardcore.)

Zeriel

Arcane
Mommies have big tits because they have to feed their children. We are mommy's children. Give Nephalem milkies.

Irata

Scholar
Sorry if something like this has already been posted, but this thread is moving pretty fast.

Some dude took all the skill and talent trees and their descriptions and put them in one big picture for each class:
Druid
https://i.imgur.com/UyN9KLC.jpg

Barb
https://i.imgur.com/RSDeMPc.jpg

Sorceress
https://i.imgur.com/eInTjCB.jpg

Seems like they're already feeling some backlash too. "We just started the process of learning how to make a better Diablo game." They're asking for feedback from the community.

Zeriel

Arcane
Seems like they're already feeling some backlash too. "We just started the process of learning how to make a better Diablo game." They're asking for feedback from the community.

Yeah. "We've had people telling us how to fix our games for 12 years, but we just ignored them," or even just, "We have no fucking clue how to make an ARPG, even though we popularized the genre. Trust us to make it good, but also tell us how to do that." Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I think the theory that they threw this together in a hurry to defuse the backlash is looking more and more likely.

mondblut

Arcane
Succubus should be the embodiment of male desires. So big tits, red/blond hair and very sexy body is expected.

Precisely. A succubus that doesn't look the part would fail rather spectacularly at temptation - and temptation is her sole raison d'etre.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are sorc fireballs damage scaling with the size and sharpness of her axe like on d3?

Yeah. "We've had people telling us how to fix our games for 12 years, but we just ignored them," or even just, "We have no fucking clue how to make an ARPG, even though we popularized the genre. Trust us to make it good, but also tell us how to do that." Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Was Blizzard North who popularized ARPG. Irvine Blizzard has only experience with wow. A completely different game.

Precisely. A succubus that doesn't look the part would fail rather spectacularly at temptation - and temptation is her sole raison d'etre.

If the average woman is 6/10, the average succubus should be at least 9.5/10 in your game...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Succubus should be the embodiment of male desires. So big tits, red/blond hair and very sexy body is expected.

I'd think a succubus would look as subjectively seductive to those who see her as possible. Big tits might impress some men, but others might find them tacky and wouldn't be beguiled. There's a tendency to falsely assume every man has the same taste in women.

Sentinel

Arcane
Was Blizzard North who popularized ARPG. Irvine Blizzard has only experience with wow. A completely different game.
Blizzard North's diablo was turn based. People seem to forget that many of the ideas that made Diablo the success it was were suggestions from Blizzard, not Condor.

Zeriel

Arcane
Are sorc fireballs damage scaling with the size and sharpness of her axe like on d3?

If the average woman is 6/10, the average succubus should be at least 9.5/10 in your game...

Right, I know that. I understand the whole history. I'm just speaking how it looks for them as a company.

Kingston

Arcane
I'd think a succubus would look as subjectively seductive to those who see her as possible. Big tits might impress some men, but others might find them tacky and wouldn't be beguiled.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Edit: To be fair, I think shape > size to a certain degree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom