Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Blissing out over a mediocre game with some redeeming qualities is totally allowed. Most people do it from time to time (unless they're complete edgelords who hate everything on general principles while masturbating furiously to it.)

It's that he's such a manwhore about games. He can't tell the difference in facial animations between TOW and Bloodlines, or in writing between T:ToN and PS:T. That rather seriously undermines your credibility when saying anything related to quality.
mediocre? there's nothing to be ashamed of in loving crap. this is the codex, we all love some old, obscure, horrible turd somehow, and it's perfectly fine as long as it's aknowledged as a subjective taste. we love deeply flawed people, no issue in loving deeply flawed software.
the real problem arises when "this is the best thing ever since sliced bread", *then*, in that moment, you turn from a normal person into a total retard.
The problem with TOW is not in it's mediocrity but with it being almost purposefully so. It's consistently and constantly the same throughout the entire game. There's not a single memorable quest, character or location. It has no redeeming value. It's a nothing burger. It's better than boredom, so one can dump time into it, but you get nothing in return in the end.

frajaq

Erudite
The issue isn't technical quality, it's expressiveness. TOWs anims are technically fine, they just don't convey much of anything.

it doesnt help that the quality of the faces in this game is all over the place, some are really good and unique, but some it looks like they just opened the character creation and hit the randomize button

Wesp5

Arcane
The issue isn't technical quality, it's expressiveness. TOWs anims are technically fine, they just don't convey much of anything.

This might be connected to the qualitiy of the faces themselves. Some are really good, like most of the companions, others look completely unrealistic from the start, like the Edgewater leader or the Groundbreaker fence. Like wrinkled texture slapped on a young face! No wonder animations don't work then... Oops, frajaq posted basically the same thing a second before :)!

Razor

Arcane
Oh boy, a while ago I was joking about ToW when the pre release thread got derailed hard left into all sorts of obscure places. But ToW really does seem to be-
"The Outher Worlds: Of Space Homos and Vegan Obscura". :hmmm:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Based on my playthrough, it's a well polished experience that provides just enough character through it's setting to stand out from other AA/AAA Action RPGs of recent years. Most if not all major quest lines have multiple resolutions based on character skills and player moral choices, though I won't say that each option is super developed. It's more about breadth than depth with this game on a lot of fronts. Spent 25 hours on it and I felt like I did most of the quests. However there aren't too many memorable moments that elevate it to something great, and there's a lot left on the table with regards to faction interplay. Felt like the whole rep system was rather pointless (like in the Pillars games).

I can see why people comparing it to New Vegas might feel underwhelmed but I had fun running around with Max and my cleaning robot. It's the Knights of the Old Republic of 2019.

"It's good for what it is."

:happytrollboy:

Trashos

Arcane
It's more about breadth than depth with this game on a lot of fronts. Spent 25 hours on it and I felt like I did most of the quests.

The issue here (and my possible disagreement with the comment about breadth) is the following: It seems that the argument goes from
"We make something smaller, so it can be deeper/better realized"
to
"It is neither big nor deep. It is just bugless.".

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem with TOW is not in it's mediocrity but with it being almost purposefully so. It's consistently and constantly the same throughout the entire game. There's not a single memorable quest, character or location. It has no redeeming value. It's a nothing burger. It's better than boredom, so one can dump time into it, but you get nothing in return in the end.
Only memorable part for me was retrieving the book for Max. :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, I think it's pretty clever how they made a lore explanation for all the reused assets.

2KTPAD5.jpg

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's more about breadth than depth with this game on a lot of fronts. Spent 25 hours on it and I felt like I did most of the quests.

The issue here (and my possible disagreement with the comment about breadth) is the following: It seems that the argument goes from
"We make something smaller, so it can be deeper/better realized"
to
"It is neither big nor deep. It is just bugless.".
I kind of agree, I don't subscribe to the idea that making the game smaller in scope actually helped it develop better realised or deeper gameplay/quest paths. Personally, I feel like tightening the scope allowed Obsidian to polish the game better and enable it to have stronger production values.

Blissing out over a mediocre game with some redeeming qualities is totally allowed. Most people do it from time to time (unless they're complete edgelords who hate everything on general principles while masturbating furiously to it.)

It's that he's such a manwhore about games. He can't tell the difference in facial animations between TOW and Bloodlines, or in writing between T:ToN and PS:T. That rather seriously undermines your credibility when saying anything related to quality.
mediocre? there's nothing to be ashamed of in loving crap. this is the codex, we all love some old, obscure, horrible turd somehow, and it's perfectly fine as long as it's aknowledged as a subjective taste. we love deeply flawed people, no issue in loving deeply flawed software.
the real problem arises when "this is the best thing ever since sliced bread", *then*, in that moment, you turn from a normal person into a total retard.
you're late to the party, pal. i already went into details to demonstrate why this game is distilled shit. mediocrity would be a dream.

Deleted Member 16721

Wunderbar the garden gnome goblin rated my post shit, what a surprise. The little boy likes to throw rocks, it's understandable. Go play with your friends little boy, leave the big guys alone. :)

Adon

Arcane
Alright so, I can't put this game down! Groundbreaker is such a fascinating place, great follow-up to the sprawling world of Emerald Vale. Once you get coordinates to fly your ship to new locations, things gets really interesting. I love it. Can't believe you guys don't see this game as a classic. It's going to be held in high regard as time passes, mark my words.

I physically can't put this game down. I didn't think it could get better after Emerald Vale, I was wrong. Please send help, I'm glued to my PC and can't stop playing! :D

For someone who's glued to his PC playing this game, it doesn't look like you've made much progress in 12 hours.

Deleted Member 16721

For someone who's glued to his PC playing this game, it doesn't look like you've made much progress in 12 hours.

I was sleeping.

You're being way too excited in your enjoyment of the game, even for a fanboy.

Why?

I think Fluent have a stroke and someone should call ambulance. It's just his way to call for help.

I need some Spacer's Choice quality saltuna. Now with extra added ingredients at no extra cost!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Could it be an extremely rare medical condition ? Could Fluent be turned on by writing over-enthusiastic posts on the codex about games he KNOWS are considered banal shit boring ? Does he get off by watching people rate & reply, baffled at his posts ?

Or is this some personal quest you've set for yourself Fluent ? Trying to prove the world it's technically possible to defend the qualities of any random game out there ?

There is so much to unveil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom