Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, shaped coral or iron rings, some of the amulets as well as all elder belts except for heavy ones arent selling all that well, even at high ilvls. But I've only gotten like 4 full sets so far that were worth doing the recipe with, so its definitely not a common thing. You could probably make profit buying low ilvl shaped/elder jewelry though.

I'm sure some people are doing that, just because.
In fact, I think some people are buying shaper/elder scarabs just towards that goal - get good shelder bases to sell, and if you don't, there's always the exshard recipe.
But, maaan, is it a drag or what. At least chaos recipe is an automatic thing - you only need to pick up items and maybe have an organised space in stash for convenient set assembly.
With exshards you actually need to spend time on trade sites buying the missing pieces for cheap, which means dealing with woops, competition and shitty sellers. Really breaks the flow of the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Officially deader than Synthesis. Impressive.
:hero:

League's 1 month and 3 weeks old - of course it's fucking dead, you sour faggots! Typical PoE league life cycle.
Even I stopped playing until the next league.
Current league was super boring for me. Also game changes not as fun as I hoped for. Shortest league for me yet, I quit before 3 weeks have passed. It didn't help that the build I made for me kind of sucked but normally I make another one or try to fix this one. This time I just quit.
I've played enough summoners through the years that I didn't feel like playing another standard one. And fuck poison builds.

Also I am not enjoying the speed clear meta. Worst thing is that all monsters do crazy damage because of it and if you are not killing them in 1s they are killing you unless you make your whole build around tanking. You either go full tanking or full clear. Dare to make something in between and red maps and beyond murder your ass.
This shit started with Abyss league and it has become worse in the meantime.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Current league was super boring for me. Also game changes not as fun as I hoped for. Shortest league for me yet, I quit before 3 weeks have passed. It didn't help that the build I made for me kind of sucked but normally I make another one or try to fix this one. This time I just quit.
I've played enough summoners through the years that I didn't feel like playing another standard one. And fuck poison builds.

Also I am not enjoying the speed clear meta. Worst thing is that all monsters do crazy damage because of it and if you are not killing them in 1s they are killing you unless you make your whole build around tanking. You either go full tanking or full clear. Dare to make something in between and red maps and beyond murder your ass.
I think poe has two major problems. Hopefully they will fix for 4.0, but I doubt it.
The first is the clear speed meta balance. Gotta oneshot all enemies, or get oneshot yourself. Unfortunately, the way potions work kinda enforces this, because as long as you are killing you'll have a lot of flask charges, meaning there's little attrition possible.
The second is the item drops. There's just way too many shit tier rares to sort through, it becomes more of a chore than a reward.

What I actually expect for 4.0 is a rework of the first 4 acts and some nicer graphics. And being able to choose gender of your character so you can play female templar if you want.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
4.0.0 is going to be PoE 2 for all intents and purposes, and GGG has repeatedly stated (via Chris and Jonathan) that if they can improve game systems before 4.0.0 hits, they will. Jonathan himself is on record stating (this was on stream just before 3.7.0 hit) that "too many items dropping" was on his list of problems to work on next (after addressing melee which was 3.7.0). So I'm not so sure about clear speed meta, but I expect the item issue will get addressed before 4.0.0 actually hits. They need to fix that at any rate -- it is one of the problems feeding the clear speed meta tumor.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think poe has two major problems. Hopefully they will fix for 4.0, but I doubt it.
The first is the clear speed meta balance. Gotta oneshot all enemies, or get oneshot yourself. Unfortunately, the way potions work kinda enforces this, because as long as you are killing you'll have a lot of flask charges, meaning there's little attrition possible.
The second is the item drops. There's just way too many shit tier rares to sort through, it becomes more of a chore than a reward.

What I actually expect for 4.0 is a rework of the first 4 acts and some nicer graphics. And being able to choose gender of your character so you can play female templar if you want.
Potions are also a real problem. Their main purpose is to give Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, not to improve the game. That shit needs to go.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Potions are also a real problem. Their main purpose is to give Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, not to improve the game. That shit needs to go.
What, you don't think tapping 3,4,5 every 4 seconds is an engaging gameplay mechanic ?
I do think poe style potions are a better solution than diablo 1/2 style though. Problem is all the utility pots you have to keep up constantly.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There used to be a sense of choice economy associated with flasks back when we weren't clearing a thousand mobs a second, and that was back in 2012, 2013. That's what needs to come back. Flask mechanics simply haven't kept up with the rampant power creep, and they've devolved into "press buttons every x seconds" as a result. A massive nerf to flask maintenance will ironically make them feel good again.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
And being able to choose gender of your character so you can play female templar if you want.
First character i will make will be sexy dark-skinned marauder archer girl. Second - male, who identifies as lesbian ranger. Third - aryan beast scion.

Razor

Arcane
The scary part is they actually think majority of players enjoy it.

Yeah, I admit I have not logged in since late 2017/early 2018 so I am by far not in the loop on how PoE has evolved since that time. Yet I too highly doubt that the majority find this as a negative. Reason is that in my experience ever since the early days of primordial open beta there have always dominated at least three major trends that the ARPG grognards strongly gravitate towards:

a) going as fast as possible since speed is associated with efficiency which in turn is attractive to the min/max mindset.
b) min/max the fuck out of your builds and refining them to the purest form possible. Usually this translates to max dps with the absolute minimum required survivability, so as to not get killed. One of the earliest examples I can remember is probably one of those Kripps early discharge builds.
c) violently reacting to any attempt to curb their power creep, resulting in loss of players in the more extreme cases. As a example I can remember the time when Bringer of Rain/Soul Taker combos roamed Wraelcast and were hit with a hard nerf hammer in a big patch. There were other nerfs associated with the patch and I remember C.Wilson himself commented about the sharp decline of player activity and how people simply dont like it when you take their power away.

For better or worse this creates a perpetual loop that forces things to escalate to even bigger extremes as time goes on.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The scary part is they actually think majority of players enjoy it.

Yeah, I admit I have not logged in since late 2017/early 2018 so I am by far not in the loop on how PoE has evolved since that time. Yet I too highly doubt that the majority find this as a negative. Reason is that in my experience ever since the early days of primordial open beta there have always dominated at least three major trends that the ARPG grognards strongly gravitate towards:

a) going as fast as possible since speed is associated with efficiency which in turn is attractive to the min/max mindset.
b) min/max the fuck out of your builds and refining them to the purest form possible. Usually this translates to max dps with the absolute minimum required survivability, so as to not get killed. One of the earliest examples I can remember is probably one of those Kripps early discharge builds.
c) violently reacting to any attempt to curb their power creep, resulting in loss of players in the more extreme cases. As a example I can remember the time when Bringer of Rain/Soul Taker combos roamed Wraelcast and were hit with a hard nerf hammer in a big patch. There were other nerfs associated with the patch and I remember C.Wilson himself commented about the sharp decline of player activity and how people simply dont like it when you take their power away.

For better or worse this creates a perpetual loop that forces things to escalate to even bigger extremes as time goes on.
And it has. And atm it is barely playable for me and many others. But I guess they got enough influx of Diablo 3 kids now that they don't care.

Unless PoE 4.0 reverses direction I am switching to D2 Remastered (if it being made), Lost Ark (if it comes out to the wider world) or whatever new Grim Dawn devs have in store.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Usually this translates to max dps with the absolute minimum required survivability, so as to not get killed.
In my experience, MAX DEEPS is your first line of survivability. PoE can be incredibly brutal and take you from 7k ehp to 0 in half a second. The best way to avoid death is to kill the enemies before they get a chance to attack.

And still people complain that the passive tree is 'path of life nodes'. And this is a fairly legit complaint.

Defense rework for 4.0 plx.

Balor

Arcane
If enemies truly get you, will WILL die. Ehp is only to prevent being one-shotted.

Razor

Arcane
In my experience, MAX DEEPS is your first line of survivability. PoE can be incredibly brutal and take you from 7k ehp to 0 in half a second. The best way to avoid death is to kill the enemies before they get a chance to attack.

The more things change the more they stay the same. So PoE hasnt really changed that much: 7k ehp hits , even as a random example, is relatively moderate. There used to be >10k hp Kaom's Heart builds running around in parallel with >15k ES LL builds. All those numbers were before taking into account other defences which boosted EHP-s to even more absurd hights. Even then there were still extreme instances in which nasty Magic/Rare mobs+ map mod combos atomized these walking tanks be merely sneezing on them.

So far it seems really all that has changed is even bigger dps numbers.

EDIT: Minions still viable? Last time I was around golems were the hot shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom