Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Vorark

Erudite
Even worse, nearly all the characters could afford to be a lot darker. Like, is this a fucked up dystopia that’s running low on resources or what? Other than Slaughterhouse Clive, who’s a cartoon, you don’t see many characters actually doing shit that’s straight up evil. You can read about strangers doing terrible things on the terminals, but somehow you rarely seem to see any of that in person. IMO, Sublight’s particular brand of amorality really should’ve been closer to the baseline for every faction because necessity is a cruel bitch. And Sublight should’ve been much, much worse.

Sublight was such a wasted opportunity. The final request by the big bad boss of this barely legal organization was so goddamn fucking dumb, besides the possible deal you could cut with the scientist.

alens.jpg

Trashos

Arcane
Hey, I thought of something nice to say about TOW.

It's a new franchise, and it's selling well. That's good news for everyone in an industry that's seems like it's just delivering one <word> <word> <roman numeral> after another. Maybe down the line it'll give some executive the fortitude to go "damn it, let's go for it" when somebody pitches a new IP that's actually good.

I vaguely remember Electronic Arts changing strategy and trying to come up with new IPs for a while. But the new IPs didn't do well, and they pulled back. Don't quote me on this, though.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Sorry, only the franchises that do well can afford to remain. The argument that there are lots of sequels proves that.

Deleted Member 16721

Bros, there were gooey amounts of subtle C&C im the Roseway area. I felt like I made at least two bad choices so far, one in Roseway and one in Groundbreaker. But Roseway had good choices and exciting combat areas dispersed throughout very solid exploration. And the loot! I love how they shower you with shiny objects. And the survival mechanics! The game keeps on giving.

JDR13

Arcane
I'd dare to say that among the all Obsidian personnel who made TOW only environment artists earned my true respect. Even with their work often hamstrung by actual area-layouts and eye-bleeding post-processing places like Scylla is nothing less than beautiful.

I did Scylla last night, and yeah, it's pretty coo looking. Still, I think the soundtrack stands out more than anything else. The music is really good especially compared to how mediocre other aspects of the game are.

JDR13

Arcane
While I think your point about choosing to do something more interesting rather than following the path of least resistance is an interesting one, I don't think this your characterization is particularly fair in this case.

I did turn off HUD quest markers right after this incident, but unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to turn them off in the compass. The attempt to do what you suggest, then, would literally be to constantly ignore a piece of visual information being given to me in a way that is meant to draw my attention, and in order to do what? I would basically have to pretend I didn't know where to go. There's the green marker, telling me exactly where I should be on my compass, and I say "No, instead I will climb a hill and look down into the valley and notice the river and act like I didn't see the compass was pointing me there the whole time". That's not exactly the same as refraining from using OP spells or hitting myself with a bat. Lol.

Also, it has a direct impact on the verisimilitude of the world. I am supposed to be investigating the location of a contraband book of philosophical thought that's location is a mystery, but as soon as I read a clue I can make a bee line direction for it. What reason is there for such a thing except to short circuit actually having to engage with both the world and the systems of the game?

Track a different quest. I think the baseball analogy is quite apt here, as I fail to believe you incapable of realizing that you can track the main quest rather than this side quest so that you do not have to “constantly ignore” the quest marker.

I don’t like quest markers, either. I’m just opposed to this ridiculous claim that the game killed your enjoyment by literally forcing you with no option to not have fun. If there was a similar main quest and you had no side quests to track instead... but yeah, take some responsibility for your own behavior rather than pushing it off on the game. You killed that quest for yourself as there was a very easy solution to your problem.

I actually did take your advice by turning off the HUD altogether. Now I can't stand to have the HUD on because it feels too cluttered. Haha. (This has led to another issue, which is that the cross-hair is part of the HUD, thereby making scopes unusable, but that's a separate issue). As I said before, your point about taking responsibility for the fun of the game is an interesting one, but it is not a settled question.

You can change the HUD without turning it off entirely by editing the config file. I turned off the compass and the markers that float above enemies, and the game is more immersive without them imo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dn7m91/disable_enemy_markers/

Deleted Member 16721

Does the game give you too much loot? Yeah, probably. But I feel the game wasn't designed to reach every nook and cranny. The weapons are great, very nice progression and fun to mod (same with armor.) The companions are well written. The medical inhaler is a cool mechanic, as is the disguise effect. Combat is satisfying, the AI is aggressive and will pursue you especially if you are hurt. The quests generally offer C&C but the side quests let you explore the lore and do simple tasks that are still fun. The maps and level design are very good and it's a joy to explore. There are often multiple paths and you can approach it in your own way. You can build an interesting character if you delve deeper into character creation and level up well. The graphics and music are beautiful, period. Overall it's subjective of course, but I am really enjoying the ride so far. It's a 9.5/10 for me personally.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Does the game give you too much loot? Yeah, probably. But I feel the game wasn't designed to reach every nook and cranny.

Yeah, you'll have way, way, WAY more resources than you need very quickly if you open every box. Right or wrong the game was designed around players NOT doing that, which was maybe a mistake because of compulsive gamers tend to be with such things.

Still, they should have spread the unique weapons and armors around more, and made more of them. Finding a side cave unrelated to any quest should reward you in some fashion other than generic ammo and repair parts you already have 1,000 of.

JDR13

Arcane
Still, they should have spread the unique weapons and armors around more, and made more of them.

They should have made unique weapons more powerful as well. I'm finding the Science weapons very underwhelming, and that's even with the perk to make them 50% stronger.

Hey, I thought of something nice to say about TOW.

It's a new franchise, and it's selling well. That's good news for everyone in an industry that's seems like it's just delivering one <word> <word> <roman numeral> after another. Maybe down the line it'll give some executive the fortitude to go "damn it, let's go for it" when somebody pitches a new IP that's actually good.

I vaguely remember Electronic Arts changing strategy and trying to come up with new IPs for a while. But the new IPs didn't do well, and they pulled back. Don't quote me on this, though.

the new ips were dead space and mirror's edge. they were good. ea ain't.
ea. ea never changes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
is it true performance goes completely down the drain in Byzantium?

just read an article by some dude saying it tanks to 40fps at 1080p on his [insert current flagship card] when he reaches that place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom