Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Habits - Paying Bills while Farming Kills

How strict is your gaming regimen?

• I play on a strict timetable

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I play whenever and don't feel the need to organise my time

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So, I love RPGs. I've come to accept that about myself, all treatment has failed and it's a condition I must endure for the remainder of my life. There's no point in running any more, instead I want to get the most out of my condition.

With that said it's hard to approach these beasts in a responsible manner. Over periods between jobs I've been able to complete and enjoy the likes of Mass Effect and the The Witcher but I never seem to have the energy to get fully immersed and have the extreme levels of fun that I so crave while working full time.

I'm interested in how people fit RPGs into your life. Is it a one day a week dedicated to it? Is it something you are very disciplined with or does it depend on the game? Once you fully understand a game and its systems does it become more like reading a book for you and it becomes more relaxing? Do you restart a lot to achieve this?

Tell me you fuckers. How do I make it work without constantly day dreaming about games I'll never actually be able to get into as much as I want to.

overly excitable young man

I don't replay games. (except gothic)
Only a few games come out in the year.

laclongquan

Arcane
That can be a job killer~ Reading at work possibly harmed me already (since they never said I was punished because of reading) . I try never playing at work.

Anyway, play shorter game sessions and slot it whenever~

overly excitable young man

I chose not to have a partner/wife or have kids. I'm 43 and decided some time ago that becoming a grownup was shit. I can do what I want, when I want, for as long as I want. So the secret to finding time to dedicate yourself to gaming is staying single and masturbating a lot.
How does masturbating give you time?

Deleted Member 16721

I play as I'm immersed and as long as the interest lasts. Sometimes that means beating a game, sometimes not, but I just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. Just relax and treat it as an escape pleasure, if it becomes a chore or too serious you are not going to have fun. Set aside time and immerse yourself, and most importantly, enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibson

Learned
So, I love RPGs. I've come to accept that about myself, all treatment has failed and it's a condition I must endure for the remainder of my life. There's no point in running any more, instead I want to get the most out of my condition.

With that said it's hard to approach these beasts in a responsible manner. Over periods between jobs I've been able to complete and enjoy the likes of Mass Effect and the The Witcher but I never seem to have the energy to get fully immersed and have the extreme levels of fun that I so crave while working full time.

I'm interested in how people fit RPGs into your life. Is it a one day a week dedicated to it? Is it something you are very disciplined with or does it depend on the game? Once you fully understand a game and its systems does it become more like reading a book for you and it becomes more relaxing? Do you restart a lot to achieve this?

Tell me you fuckers. How do I make it work without constantly day dreaming about games I'll never actually be able to get into as much as I want to.

2-3h per week max; usually friday as it's my recovery day from the gym, so instead of spending 2h for the gym it's gaming with burning a joint or two. I try to play every weekend but it's not a must.
i only have 1 game installed and I'm dedicated to it, no installing other games and shit because if you're out a while, especially with rpgs, it's really hard to back track the whole story, pc+companion gear+level+skills or if it's a gamepad game to get back that button mashing hand-eye coordination. i try to stick with the game but don't strive to complete it if it's not doing it for me - I dropped PoE1 quite fast, but I'm finding Underrail enjoyable (even with all the asskicking I'm receiving; edit: also, man, fuck deep caverns).

the downside is, of course, that it takes me a whole bunch of months to complete an rpg (i tend to click on everything and also less than 99% explored map is for pathetic weaklings), but it's still a nice balance for me :) also luckily, when checking for new releases i see that I'm really not missing anything new. after underrail I'll probably give PoE2 a chance cause it was decently priced some time ago; would really really love to play PF:K but it seems to be a big ass fucking game and it would probably take me a whole year to complete, but you never know...

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
I chose not to have a partner/wife or have kids. I'm 43 and decided some time ago that becoming a grownup was shit. I can do what I want, when I want, for as long as I want. So the secret to finding time to dedicate yourself to gaming is staying single and masturbating a lot.

I'm in a similar situation but even so I find myself short on quality gaming time.

Sounds like I'm boned whatever I do and just need to grind it out. Good to know I'm not alone at least!

mushaden

Scholar
People might act like rpgs require a ton of time, but I find that’s not true for many games. I’m playing vtm:b right now and I feel like I can make progress playing under 2 hours a day (and not every day). I mean I can do at least a quest or two or three, and stay engaged by the game.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

2-3h per week max; usually friday as it's my recovery day from the gym, so instead of spending 2h for the gym it's gaming with burning a joint or two. I try to play every weekend but it's not a must.
i only have 1 game installed and I'm dedicated to it, no installing other games and shit because if you're out a while, especially with rpgs, it's really hard to back track the whole story, pc+companion gear+level+skills or if it's a gamepad game to get back that button mashing hand-eye coordination. i try to stick with the game but don't strive to complete it if it's not doing it for me - I dropped PoE1 quite fast, but I'm finding Underrail enjoyable (even with all the asskicking I'm receiving; edit: also, man, fuck deep caverns).

the downside is, of course, that it takes me a whole bunch of months to complete an rpg (i tend to click on everything and also less than 99% explored map is for pathetic weaklings), but it's still a nice balance for me :) also luckily, when checking for new releases i see that I'm really not missing anything new. after underrail I'll probably give PoE2 a chance cause it was decently priced some time ago; would really really love to play PF:K but it seems to be a big ass fucking game and it would probably take me a whole year to complete, but you never know...

I think this is something similar to where I need to get to. A nice slot carved out of my week strictly dedicated to a single game.

I don't see harm in a game lasting for a long time and it's not like the release schedule of quality RPGs is something to worry about keeping up with.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
People might act like rpgs require a ton of time, but I find that’s not true for many games. I’m playing vtm:b right now and I feel like I can make progress playing under 2 hours a day (and not every day). I mean I can do at least a quest or two or three, and stay engaged by the game.

Ye I've beaten bloodlines in a single weekend. I definitely found myself rushing it however and I hate that tendency in myself. It's like speed reading a fantasy novel, completely spoon headed.

Tiger

Learned

I'm in a similar situation but even so I find myself short on quality gaming time.

Sounds like I'm boned whatever I do and just need to grind it out. Good to know I'm not alone at least!

Just go with it. There are times when you just don't feel like gaming, that can last for days or weeks. Don't try to force it, just do other things and come back to it when you're in the mood.

One thing I do when I'm really in to a game, I tend to watch a lets play alongside it to compliment my playthrough. Obviously not to the point that I spoil anything so I make sure I'm ahead of where the lets play is. A glass of wine in the evening with a lets play helps keep me in the zone and immersed in the world I find, it also gives me tips to improve my play. I've just started Pathfinder Kingmaker and am watching ColonelRPG play as well.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Just go with it. There are times when you just don't feel like gaming, that can last for days or weeks. Don't try to force it, just do other things and come back to it when you're in the mood.

One thing I do when I'm really in to a game, I tend to watch a lets play alongside it to compliment my playthrough. Obviously not to the point that I spoil anything so I make sure I'm ahead of where the lets play is. A glass of wine in the evening with a lets play helps keep me in the zone and immersed in the world I find, it also gives me tips to improve my play. I've just started Pathfinder Kingmaker and am watching ColonelRPG play as well.

Sounds downright civilised. I think this is the kind of approach I want to take, anything I can do to increase immersion is worth trying.

Gibson

Learned
I think this is something similar to where I need to get to. A nice slot carved out of my week strictly dedicated to a single game.

I don't see harm in a game lasting for a long time and it's not like the release schedule of quality RPGs is something to worry about keeping up with.

having "me time" can only do you good; it sounds selfish but to me it's necessary and if somebody is important to you, you'll find the time for them somehow; when gaming i don't check my phone - people around me got used the fact that if you call me I'll always pick up because it could be an emergency, but if somebody texts me...well then it's not really an emergency and it can fucking wait till I finish this quest or whatever I'm doing at the moment:D it does help alot, that i don't use other social media besides this prestigious forum :obviously:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

having "me time" can only do you good; it sounds selfish but to me it's necessary and if somebody is important to you, you'll find the time for them somehow; when gaming i don't check my phone - people around me got used the fact that if you call me I'll always pick up because it could be an emergency, but if somebody texts me...well then it's not really an emergency and it can fucking wait till I finish this quest or whatever I'm doing at the moment:D it does help alot, that i don't use other social media besides this prestigious forum :obviously:

Yeah honestly a couple of quality gaming hours of proper immersion a week would tick the box for me. Allowing myself to hyperfocus without feeling bad about it is definitely part of it.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I have a job and study at the same time (both technically full time). Outside of necessities and physical training, the time I have I either put it with my wife, in tabletop RPG or vidya, in that order. So when my wife is gone for something and nobody wants to play D&D, I can have a bunch of hours into vidya each week. But I never go out, drink alcool, do normal stuff etc. I guess you have to find time somewhere and make choices ? If the game I play is okay I put less time in it, if it's awesome I'll try to make room for it. Last time it happened was Dark Souls 1, but that's about it. Most games are just okay anyway.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Stop watching TV, and spend that time on playing a game. 1) What's on TV is mostly bullcrap anyway, and 2) it's a passive activity. When you're gaming at least you're applying yourself.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
I have a job and study at the same time (both technically full time). Outside of necessities and physical training, the time I have I either put it with my wife, in tabletop RPG or vidya, in that order. So when my wife is gone for something and nobody wants to play D&D, I can have a bunch of hours into vidya each week. But I never go out, drink alcool, do normal stuff etc. I guess you have to find time somewhere and make choices ? If the game I play is okay I put less time in it, if it's awesome I'll try to make room for it. Last time it happened was Dark Souls 1, but that's about it. Most games are just okay anyway.

Yeah I loved DS1 too but games like that are easy to focus on because they are unique.

I guess what I'd really like to do is find a way to enjoy an RPG like I do a book. Not necessarily needing it to blow my mind but feeling immersed and having a nice time without going to that "click click click, oh god why, click click click" place normies love so much.

I don't know honestly I'm mostly just interested in how other people enjoy these wonderful games and fit them into a busy modern schedule.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Stop watching TV, and spend that time on playing a game. 1) What's on TV is mostly bullcrap anyway, and 2) it's a passive activity. When you're gaming at least you're applying yourself.

Yeah funnily enough this happened naturally a few years back. I wouldn't watch TV if you paid me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom