Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Insert Title Here
After finishing a high Int Psy run, I've started a high Phy Mot character, and can't stop laughing at dual flipping off Garte disaster. This is going to be special.

I was so damn relieved Lena was OK after that. That frozen moment looked really bad.
sweatonmybrow.png

Prime Junta

Rene, tell us more!

Nothing much to tell, just bog standard boring Binnish conscript military training. Most of us go through it. I did enjoy shooting and got the nice gold badge for marksmanship. After reserve officers' school I could check out a nice M/39 rifle and go to the firing range pretty much whenever I wanted (on my free time).

I also know how to set up a tank trap or an ambush with claymores. So bring it on Maxie

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Rene, tell us more!

Nothing much to tell, just bog standard boring Binnish conscript military training. Most of us go through it. I did enjoy shooting and got the nice gold badge for marksmanship. After reserve officers' school I could check out a nice M/39 rifle and go to the firing range pretty much whenever I wanted (on my free time).

I also know how to set up a tank trap or an ambush with claymores. So bring it on Maxie

Nice, I probably shouldn't abandon reserve officers' school either.
All we do before I departed were running and crawling around with some AKMs we've never fired.

Prime Junta

Remember, this is a super shitty old rifle with an old sight.

I don't think the rifle + sight are a problem. A well maintained old rifle with an old sight can be more than accurate enough, more so if the shooter is really married to it like the case is here. Shitty rifles aren't shitty for being inaccurate as much as for being unreliable.

But yeah it is really fucking hard and somewhat unlikely even in the best of circumstances. But not impossible.

--> He says that hitting him in the mouth was a fluke, he aimed for the head and wanted his brains splattered on the wall. A trained sniper wouldn't have aimed for the head at that range, he would know that he's much more likely to miss than to kill; he would have aimed for the centre of mass which would have given a much higher chance of hitting. He was deep in his fantasies however. His story is psychologically credible: he's in a mix of lust, jealousy, and ideological fervour, fantasising about killing the fascist killer fucking the girl he's in love with, looking through the sights, putting his head in the crosshairs... and he pulls the trigger. Maybe he didn't even expect to hit. But he did. It's not impossible, and as I said above, this kind of thing is "allowed" in detective stories -- if he had missed, there would just be a fright, a broken window pane, and no RCM involvement.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rene, tell us more!

cool. i never even touched a gun. i have practiced with bows tho. i can use beginner's recurve and compound decently. never tried firing athtletes bows but i have pulled the string of one that have 25kg drawbacks.
it made me appreciate longbowmen of the olden times. my first time practicing 18Kg recurve bow for 90 minutes made me forearm sore all weekend.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
And as an aside, I think they got the ballistics right -- at that range, and having gone through the window pane, the bullet probably wouldn't have the energy to exit the skull. At a more normal range it would've gone right through.)
now let's not get carried away - the explanation that the bullet flies at the speed of plot makes sense, but any mention of ballistics stretches it about 200 meters too far

when the game does attempt something resembling "ballistics" or firearm mechanics, the caliber mentioned is "4.46" (cute). now i don't know what kind of unicorn superglue they used to make it mechanically sound in the p&p ruleset, but that caliber strongly implies a low-weight high-velocity round that penetrates flesh like the needle it is but isn't famous for stopping power, and loses ~80% of its kinetic energy (and drops more than 1m from sight zero) at 500 meters

imagining that kind of very thin but long paraboloid of lead striking a window pane after most of its energy had been depleted and not tumbling immediately - but piercing the glass and throat-shotting the merc is... beyond my (arguably limited) boundaries of verisimilitude

if it had it been an (imaginary) "8.62×53mmR" caliber round it would work though

Last edited:

Prime Junta

caliber mentioned is "4.46" (cute)

Yeah it's a weird caliber. It would have to be either a flechette or made of something like depleted uranium to really work I think, and the bullet as we see it is clearly not a flechette, nor is DU mentioned anywhere. I think they were just being unnecessarily cute there, giant-ass musket-style balls would've fit the mostly muzzle-loading aesthetic better anyway...

vota DC

Augur
And as an aside, I think they got the ballistics right -- at that range, and having gone through the window pane, the bullet probably wouldn't have the energy to exit the skull. At a more normal range it would've gone right through.)
now let's not get carried away - the explanation that the bullet flies at the speed of plot makes sense, but any mention of ballistics stretches it about 200 meters too far

when the game does attempt something resembling "ballistics" or firearm mechanics, the caliber mentioned is "4.46" (cute). now i don't know what kind of unicorn superglue they used to make it mechanically sound in the p&p ruleset, but that caliber strongly implies a low-weight high-velocity round that penetrates flesh like the needle it is but isn't famous for stopping power, and loses ~80% of its kinetic energy (and drops more than 1m from sight zero) at 500 meters

imagining that kind of very thin but long paraboloid of lead striking a window pane after most of its energy had been depleted and not tumbling immediately - but piercing the glass and throat-shotting the merc is... beyond my (arguably limited) boundaries of verisimilitude

if it had it been an (imaginary) "8.62×53mmR" caliber round it would work though
The distance is in metres, the caliber could be anything.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

The distance is in metres, the caliber could be anything.
Silly murricans and your non standardized troglodytes measuring unit.

Saduj

Arcane
Who is to say units of measurement represent the same distance in the game universe as in ours?

:philosoraptor:

Here is an existential question for y'all: Caustic Echo or White Mourning, and why? Not in terms of mechanics but, you know, l'existance.

I have my own answer but I'm curious to hear what others think.

Vatnik Wumao
Here is an existential question for y'all: Caustic Echo or White Mourning, and why? Not in terms of mechanics but, you know, l'existance.

I have my own answer but I'm curious to hear what others think.
Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.

Tigranes

Arcane
To what extent can the game accommodate failing Key Checks?

E.g. I tried to progress while failing Titus Key Check (Rhetoric?) that makes him send lawyergirl away and talk about Ruby. From what I can tell, you should have enough of a hunch to go to the fishing village and keep investigating, but you lack a lot of the options that let you actually progress, softlocking you. Why? Seems shit.

What about the Visual Calculus check on the window to generate three possible sniper spots? Can you progress with the game while failing to make this check? I am trying now, we will see what happens.

We know the Feld Shivers check is mandatory, which seems extremely silly - there are clearly so many different ways you could plausibly decide to look inside that could use Motorics checks, etc.

I feel like the first day allows a lot of variation in when, how, and if you ever gain important clues about the victim - but the middle portion of the game in particular is needlessly railroaded at certain points. Does the grandma with the gun even exist in the gamewolrld until your cocksucking Evrart makes her pop in?

Again, would be very happy to learn I am wrong about some of these things and there are alternative paths.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah I don't like the mandatory checks. I love the game as a whole, but these mandatory skill checks don't seem to fit - the game is all about failing forward. You can do exceptionally retarded shit, fail, and still progress. You can theoretically arrive at the end without knowing all too much about the murder. You can be a successful detective or a useless broken wreck. Most situations allow you to use different skillsets to get the info you need: if you fail to find the bullet in the autopsy, you can find out the guy was shot by talking to the witnesses (Klaasje, Hardy Boys). There are multiple ways to get your hands on clues and information.

But there are a few places in the game - like the mandatory shivers check - which force you to pass one specific skill check. Sure, you can usually pass it without being good at the skill, since solving side quests gives you a massive bonus to the roll.

And yet.

That means you have to succeed at a lot of sidequests which don't necessarily have a connection to the search for Ruby.

Merely the fact that you checked everything else and didn't find her anywhere should tip you off that a huge abandoned building might be the next place to look.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Is there even a single good reason for Ruby to stay in the city? I mean she is a smuggler getting out of cities undetected is her job.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:lol: I just managed to enter the strange-looking container, and also pass the harder check inside... by rolling a critical success roll :lol: This game is crazy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom