Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell... something. ¡Ay, caramba!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Could be another joke. Hopelessly optimistic.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-spa..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Every now and then, Ubisoft likes to make a little noise about Splinter Cell. It's a bit like Sam Fisher stubbing his toe as he sneaks through the shadows behind a large bank of 60s-era supercomputers: You definitely heard something, but when you go to check, there's nothing there.

Today's muffled thump comes courtesy of the Ubisoft Spain Twitter feed, which put this up earlier today:

That, according to Google, translates to, "You need to understand the darkness in order to face it," which is a pretty Splinter Cell thing to say: It's like, the shadows are your ally, but the darkness that lies within is your true enemy. Levels, man. It's heavy stuff.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Can we not? You know it's going to be open world garbage like the recent Ghost Recon games have been (and even if it's not, not like the Montreal team can even design good stealth considering Conviction).

7ffv2v.png

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Double Agent was the beginning of the long, slow free fall of the series. The xbox and ps2 version was good, it was just Chaos Theory, but the 360 and ps3 version was trash.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
If you haven't, play Double Agent.

I forget this one all the time, because it released between consoles, and the 360 version was dogshit.

The only marks against it are the shitty hud and action popups. I liked Chaos Theory's text and classic ui more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Double Agent was the beginning of the long, slow free fall of the series. The xbox and ps2 version was good, it was just Chaos Theory, but the 360 and ps3 version was trash.

Double Agent was utter shit on PC, but the two after it were better. Blacklist especially I remember liking, and thinking was probably my number two after Chaos Theory. It's been so long I don't remember enough to debate it though.

I agree the prospect of another one doesn't really excite me though, because I'm sure it will be online focused and typical Ubisoft formula, which is meh.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Double Agent was utter shit on PC, but the two after it were better.
The two after it were not even Splinter Cell, they were that Jason Borne crap. There are two versions of Double Agent, the PC version is the shitty 360/PS3 version. The good Double Agent is on xbox/ps2. Its Chaos Theory with new missions, even the coop agents return.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The two after it were not even Splinter Cell, they were that Jason Borne crap. There are two versions of Double Agent, the PC version is the shitty 360/PS3 version. The good Double Agent is on xbox/ps2. Its Chaos Theory with new missions, even the coop agents return.

Conviction was, yes. Blacklist was not. But whatever, like I said I don't remember it well enough to debate the finer points. I know the Xbox Double Agent was a good Chaos Theory expansion pack, but anything not on PC doesn't exist to me, so... *shrug*.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
u can assign right thumbstick axis to mouse, if the emulator itself doesn't provide the option (most do) then just use joy2key (or xpadder), takes like 2 seconds to do it ^_^

doesn't matter anyway, no current xbox prime emulator is worth using at the moment. nobody cares enough about the OG xbox to emulate it.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
What Ubisoft things people want: a live service microtransaction filled open world game with little variety in objectives and a constant need for action or scripted events with plot and characters written in the most overly dramatic or uninteresting way possible.

What I actually want:

c98f9x.jpg

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Blacklist was the latest one to be released in the series and was the best after Chaos Theory, though I only tried the first 2 and abandoned Double Agent and Conviction after seeing they were garbage. Conviction was the one where they introduced mark and execute where you ''stealth takedown'' one guy and get an aimbot silent shot to kill the next two guys you mark. I remember this feature because all levels were filled with groups of enemies in 3s and the goggles being replaced by the game just turning black and white when you were in shadows; definitely Conviction was the worst.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Blacklist was the latest one to be released in the series and was the best after Chaos Theory, though I only tried the first 2 and abandoned Double Agent and Conviction after seeing they were garbage. Conviction was the one where they introduced mark and execute where you ''stealth takedown'' one guy and get an aimbot silent shot to kill the next two guys you mark. I remember this feature because all levels were filled with groups of enemies in 3s and the goggles being replaced by the game just turning black and white when you were in shadows; definitely Conviction was the worst.

Yeah the "mark and execute" thing was a ridiculous easy button for analog stick users and the fact reviews praised it should tell you everything you need to know. Even Hitman 2 last year when using a controller just automatically targets the head when you aim. I watch speedruns and stuff of levels on Youtube and just see people take out 3 guards in two seconds by aiming, firing, aiming, firing. Why people want their games to play themselves I'll never understand.

You were able to ignore that shit in Conviction at least, when using a mouse. I did, anyway.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
List of good: Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, Blacklist
List of middling: Pandora Tomorrow
List of bad: Double Agent (7th gen), Conviction
List of no opinion for 99% of people: Double Agent 6th gen (only good version is Xbox and emulation for that still sucks ass), mobile/portable games
This is the correct opinion on the entire series. I have recent, close and unbiased memories to every game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
On the game, if it will be done by the same studio and people as Blacklist it's probably not too fucked but since this is modern Ubisoft we're talking about it will be fucked. Expect GAAS garbage. Blacklist was a happy accident that did drop the ball on numerous things, but it managed to do things right as well by legitimising other forms of play, giving variety in equipment and by having often good level design and locations.
Either Ubi will blueball people again just like last year, this will be another DLC for their new Ghost Recon game or this will turn out to be an utter disappointment, since Ubi has been fucking up everything recently.

Swigen

Arbiter
I think it’d be silly for Ubisoft not to take advantage of the fact that Metal Gear is dead and there’s a wide open space for “tactical espionage” now. If I was a French guy, I might just put down my mille-feuille and get to work on that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly the thing giving me hope is that Ghost Recon Breakpoint and The Division 2 both supposedly bombed. If that's the case Ubisoft might backtrack a bit on their "everything must be open world and online" stance and a make a real Splinter Cell game. You never know.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
That would definitely be the best case scenario but at this point I'd be surprised if whatever the next SC game is hasn't been in development for a few years at this point meaning that if they did go for an open world design, the transition from that to mission to mission progression would be a giant shift in priorities in not just the level design (gameplay mechanics, story progression, etc.). Wouldn't be the first time SC had major changes mid development (if I recall Conviction was originally a hobo simulator then went to an angry dad simulator in the final product) but I'm having trouble actually telling who at the Montreal team who made Chaos Theory is still there (at most, I do recall the director of CT returning around 2015 but I have no idea what he's worked on since coming back).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
List of good: Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, Blacklist
List of middling: Pandora Tomorrow
List of bad: Double Agent (7th gen), Conviction
List of no opinion for 99% of people: Double Agent 6th gen (only good version is Xbox and emulation for that still sucks ass), mobile/portable games
This is the correct opinion on the entire series. I have recent, close and unbiased memories to every game.

I disagree on Double Agent....at first it seems like a step back cause of the light system simplification(3 levels rather than gradual) but at least it's still there and game can still be completed in various ways with different outcomes. In retrospect I don't understand the raeg at the time as it's clearly still a proper SC game. Cause it's in the day? Dunno, even the balance thing between the terrorists and agency is nice thing. Conviction is just Max Payne without bullet time in comparison.

My list would be almost the same, but have Blacklist and Pandora as middling and DA as good. Conviction is so damn bad and pointless and even the retcon where hurr durr your daughter was alive all along doesn't make any sense as it makes Sam totally flip instead of being happy. Christ how bad that game was......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom