Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

RickOmbo

Learned
Obsidian is accumulating new audience which they will turn into rpg fans with their later projects.

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Rick-Moranis-Then-sdfs.jpg

Flou

Arbiter
You could tell they expected a hostile reaction with how Sawyer took time to explain this game was in development before they joined Microsoft.

Well they are being smart about it. You already have people blaming Microsoft about it, even though they specifically said that this was started prior to the purchase.
They know their fans and what the expectation is for an Obsidian game. They've already made the Pathfinder card game and Armored Warfare. So at least to me this is not that shocking.

It seems like Bobby Null is working on the game as well, or at least in one of the articles it says it was him and Brennecke who came up with the idea sometime after Deadfire.

These guys have been working on Pillars franchise for half a decade. I don't think it is that surprsing that they want to do something completely different for a change. Codex would have blown up if Brennecke and Null had left the company. Hell, Avellone already hinted that Brennecke was looking to switch studios back in his May of Rage times.

The interview with Brennecke Usgamer is quite good and informative. It would seem like there is a backstory and the characters are fleshed out etc. even though the rpg mechanics will be on the lighter side. But then again, was South Park deep into the rpg mechanics either?

If "passion" projects like this keep the people who have been at company for a decade or longer, then let them do them. I think that is better option than losing those core people from the company because they were forced to work on a yet another Pillars of Eternity game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Brennecke describes Grounded as a Metroidvania-like that it'll require you to craft items in order to proceed through the storyline and the gameworld, which will allegedly be "huge," despite being made by a team of only 13. Brennecke doesn't see the team getting any bigger. "I like it small and tight," he says before mentioning that most of the people working on it wear a variety of hats.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Other game announced at the same event, probably have believed this is the same game but in a different map:

Introducing Drake Hollow, the next game from The Molasses Flood.

Explore a blighted world with your friends. Gather supplies, battle savage creatures, and build villages to protect the local innocent vegetable folks known as Drakes.

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Grounded's Pitch meeting:

Obsidian: "We want to make a super generic survival game with a cartoony artstyle that looks just like all of the other 200 generic online survival asset flips out there."
Microsoft: "An online survival game! Thats a sequence of buzzwords that I've heard of before!"
Obsidian: "Yes, it will probably make very little money because its competing with hundreds of other identical games and it will piss of our entire fanbase in the process."
Microsoft: "Oh... very little money... I don't like the sound of that. Cancel it."
Obsidian: "No wait! Uhmm, you know Fortnite right?"
Microsoft: "Of course, it made 2.4 billion dollars in microtransactions last year."
Obsidian: "Right, well this is a Fortnite clone."
Microsoft: "I just had an erection. Uncancel it. So it has a battle royale mode?"
Obsidian: "No. Its not like Fortnite Battle Royale, which was a huge commercial success. Its more like Fortnite: Save the World, which was a failure.
Microsoft: "Oh, so you took something that people liked and removed the thing that people liked about it!? Just llike BattleCry Studios did with Team Foretress 2 and Fallout!? Genius! Those games worked out so wel!"
Obsidian: "Ikr"
Microsoft: "But, uhmmm, what makes this game unique? What makes it stand out in the marketplace?"
Obsidian: "Absolutely nothing"
Microsoft: "I love it. Soulles generic garbage, just like Halo, Gears, Forza, State of Decay and all of our other games. Thats precisely what the market wants!"

Murk

Arcane
Hahahahaahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

*ahem* Sorry. That was rude. What I meant was,

:evilcodex:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
We're going to see people pretending they like it, obsidian-dedicated 100% shitposters who aren't banned for mysterious reasons spamming threads with inane crap and infinitron bumping them with "sawyer said" screenshots anyway.

I'm way past caring for obsidian and their games, but the fact that they manage to bring tangible decline directly to the codex itself still pisses me off.

deuxhero

Arcane
The premise could have worked as anything other than the genre it was put in.

Bizarre pulp inspired RPG where the types of small animals are different factions?
Point and click adventure?
Survival horror where you have to evade predators and those who want to dissect you?
ect.

Also the kid's faces look utterly soulless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom