Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't know why game like this even needs campaign.

You should start in some random generated gauntlet like dungeon, where everything you get is random (mainly skills) and you can't rely on anything, and you have to go through ever increasing odds to reach particular goals.

No reliable cookie cutter characters, it's rogue for everyone. Like instead playing MTG with prebuilt deck, you draw.

Well, at least I would have fun playing something like that I think.

Sharpedge

Prophet

You should start in some random generated gauntlet like dungeon, where everything you get is random (mainly skills) and you can't rely on anything, and you have to go through ever increasing odds to reach particular goals.

No reliable cookie cutter characters, it's rogue for everyone. Like instead playing MTG with prebuilt deck, you draw.

I like this idea.

abija

Prophet
You should try raising funds for a startup with that exceptional idea.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I am sure you can find such games on mobile. None of them are as good or popular as PoE :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Apparently explosive arrow is getting a boost as well in new league. I hope ignite build with it will still be possible.

Absinthe

Arcane
Just for funny worthless comparison the campaign in PoE has more content than D1 + D2, even the wierdest builds work in it and requires 0 grinding.
Sure, but the PoE campaign is also much stupider than D1 and D2+LoD. I'd take those campaigns over PoE's any day.

Mostly follow the leader shit.

There have been events before where the vendors don't sell shit and you're stuck on SSF as well as stuff like Endless Ledge but this game generally relies on its multiplayer economy in part because otherwise there wouldn't be much point to being an always-online service.

There will still be reliable cookie cutter characters. Necromancer for instance is a very lazy build. If you can do the barest amount of vendor recipe crafting you can get a helmet with +1 or +2 to minion gems and use them to tank and kill everything for you. It's an oldschool hardcore classic, from the beta days, although the vendor recipe for minion gems didn't exist back then, so you would just loot, ID, trans, and alt helmets nonstop until you had one.

A lot of people would, I suspect.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
PoE 1 was originally shaping to be more D1ish, before they introduced the blackguards plotline and discovered their unrestrained fondness for the infodump school of storytelling. Apparently no one told the PoE guys that less is more and that they were doing a lot better when they were telling the story of Wraeclast in the environment details for the most part. But part of the problem is that they completely lost the narrative thread. After a while you somehow ceased to be an exile trying to make the best of things and became a generic adventurer-hero savior of Wraeclast. And at some point GGG started to flirt with SJW leanings when suddenly the Karui Marauder ceased to be a badass warrior from a civilization of badass warriors, but instead became a poor oppressed slave fighting for freedom. Somehow everything turned into a shitty story about fighting the oppression of the blackguards. When they added 6 acts it somehow managed to get much dumber since now it was the oppression of the gods you had to fight or something. It just got really fucking lame now that you were all victims of oppression or something and caused weird shit like waypoints now apparently being able to teleport you across time. And I am also definitely not a fan of mandatory boss-fight losses. I don't think anyone is, but every so often an idiot writer gets it in their heads that this kind of forced garbage would be a great way to "humble" the player. I mean, I like victory and defeat being up to the player's skills and decisions in my games, but that's just me.

Frankly, I miss the original character selection screen. It showed a better concept than what's going on now.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, actually the idea of being some rabble that washed up on shore or was sent to some island prison held much more appeal than whatever shit you eventually become. It would have been more interesting and have had a storyline integration for any PVP interactions since you share the island with other cutthroats and opportunists.

But of course they went the typical way of having some guy that was in rags and in a shitty leaky boat in the midst of a storm become the mightiest hero ever. It had potential to go somewhere interesting and be coherent, but nah let's fight giant Lovecraftian rejects or something.

abija

Prophet
In these games you are forced to make the character a mighty force somehow due to the enemies.

And PvP is similar to what most codex posters do. Love the idea of playing, not really doing it.

If you'd play PoE's campaign over D1/D2's then there is something wrong with your headmeat.

It's actually TONS more enjoyable to PLAY even though it should be slower and more difficult. There are plenty of genres to sperg about story, in this genre story is a "first world problem".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played some pvp duels with a friend in Poe. It's pretty shitty, lots of instant gibbing going around(might be we don't know about pvp survivability tho)

T. Reich

Arcane
I played some pvp duels with a friend in Poe. It's pretty shitty, lots of instant gibbing going around(might be we don't know about pvp survivability tho)

Nah, it's about right.

You can find a few official PVP tournaments GGG threw together before canning the whole thing.
Keep in mind those are low-level only, so there are no power spikes, so you actually get fights that last longer than a split-second.

High-level PVP? A total shitshow. If you can penetrate an opponent's defences, you will kill them nearly instantly, owing to the huge disparity between player dps and player life.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Nah, it's about right.

You can find a few official PVP tournaments GGG threw together before canning the whole thing.
Keep in mind those are low-level only, so there are no power spikes, so you actually get fights that last longer than a split-second.

High-level PVP? A total shitshow. If you can penetrate an opponent's defences, you will kill them nearly instantly, owing to the huge disparity between player dps and player life.
It's kind of a shame, because you can see it once was meant to matter. Act 2 makes you fight party if you disagree on bandits, act 3 has the arena...

I guess it didn't work out.

T. Reich

Arcane
Power creep, as well as the fact that there has been (and still is) inherent insane power disparity between various skills, play styles and gear levels.
PVP simply brings out the worst in those, purely due to being what it is - a living player vs living player experience.
Min-maxing is an integral part of the process, and PoE allows for frankly ridiculous min-maxing.
And for GGG pvp quickly turned into micromanagement nightmare - constant tweaking of certain pvp variables related to specific skills in reaction to meta shifts.

PoE is PvE game through and through; I am of strong opinion that there's no place for PvP in PvE focused games. Purely because of resource conservation - there's simply not enough dev time/effort available to produce good end results in both endeavours; you have to focus on one thing.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Question for you noble gents. Would PoE be a good game to play co-op with my 9 year-old nephew? He has expressed an interest in games with "magic" after seeing me play RPGs on the PC.

He has the typical zoomer attention span so I am looking for something twitchy and ARPG-ish that can hold his interest. I started him out with Magicka and he had a good time with that. I have never played PoE but from the little bit I've seen I figure it might be a good next step, to introduce character creation, leveling, and other RPG basics. Thoughts?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question for you noble gents. Would PoE be a good game to play co-op with my 9 year-old nephew? He has expressed an interest in games with "magic" after seeing me play RPGs on the PC.

He has the typical zoomer attention span so I am looking for something twitchy and ARPG-ish that can hold his interest. I started him out with Magicka and he had a good time with that. I have never played PoE but from the little bit I've seen I figure it might be a good next step, to introduce character creation, leveling, and other RPG basics. Thoughts?
I mean, any game that you play with your kid that has remotely okay mechanics is going to be fun for him, but idk, I feel like there could be better chocies. The passive skill tree is super abstract and he wouldn't be learning so much as you just picking choices.

Generic-Giant-Spider

BROTHA, IF HE'S A ZOOMER TODAY HE'LL BE A ZOOMER TOMORROW.

HE'LL NEVER BE THE GEEK WE WUZ AS KEEDZ. Buy the little scamp a copy of Diabla 3 for his little girly Nintenda Switch and cut your losses on the RPG baptism front. It's not too late to leave strategic copies of Playboy/Maxim around to ward off any homosexual demons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom