Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes - real-time co-op isometric dungeon crawler

Dodo1610

Arcane
Book of Heroes is NOT a Diablo clone.

Guido Henkel, is that you?

(Also, why no English trailer?)

Because even most of us Germans know that the DSA ruleset is shit. That their world is completely boring doesn't help either. No idea why anyone in their right mind would make a DSA game the last ones were all financial failures.

Andhaira

Arcane
Book of Heroes is NOT a Diablo clone.

Guido Henkel, is that you?

(Also, why no English trailer?)

Because even most of us Germans know that the DSA ruleset is shit. That their world is completely boring doesn't help either. No idea why anyone in their right mind would make a DSA game the last ones were all financial failures.

The ruleset (at least the latest 5e version) is a breath of fresh air, at least for non Germans. I really like the roll under mechanic and 3d20 system for skills, it might seem confusing and unintuitive at first but its a breeze to play. it also really helps diversify characters mechanically and distinguish why a certain character passed/failed at a skill check and leads to better roleplaying. (small example: 2 PCs fail a climb check after rolling their 3 checks for COU/AGI/STR; one failed due to failing the STR roll which can be interpreted as his limbs were too weak to support his body or he was just not strong enough to clamber up the vines and needs to go easy on the cheesecakes for a while and hit the gym, the other failed due to failing his COUrage roll meaning he climbed a quarter of the way, looked down and was terrified of the height already and decided to clamber back down)

The world of Aventuria itself is somewhat boring and cliched, and well like many people I don't like playing in established settings where every nook and cranny is explored. But there is still plenty of places/ways to have your own adventures, and you can always chance things about the setting you don't like in your games. One good thing about the setting though is how it supports the rules and vice versa; the setting is low magic, with gritty combat and the rules are built around this assumption. Even the most skilled of warriors (level 15+ D&D equivalent) will get slaughtered if he faces 3-4 orcs simultaneously. PCs can start out quite skilled but their advancement thereafter remains within 'realistic' proportions. No saving the world or the planes here!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

The Dark Eye (TDE) is a role-playing system plunging groups of players into the fantasy world Aventuria. TDE has a long tradition, with the first edition appearing in 1984.

The new computer role-playing game Book of Heroes was developed in close cooperation with the rights owner, Ulisses Spiele; their cooperation ensures that the upcoming game meets the demands of role-playing fans. Book of Heroes is a classic role-playing game with a clear top view. The character mode is extensive: players can choose from 12 different professions and four species and adapt the appearance of their character as they wish. Every created character has their personal agenda, tasks, and missions as well as procedurally generated quests and maps. If you like, you can play in single-player mode and hire a few companions at the Inn of the Wild Boar or you can play with up to four friends in cooperation mode.

This detailed role-playing universe from TDE is the ideal place, with many familiar characters, places, and events.

· 12 playable professions all available in TDE
· 4 playable species from TDE
· Exciting quests and tasks
· One or more players
· No server necessary!
· Extensive character customization
· Character creation and customization with Inrah cards!
· Hand-painted graphics by well-known TDE artists
· Exciting solo stories
· Lots of familiar places, characters, and adversaries from the TDE universe

This screenshot makes it clear, this is likely session based thing:

ss_1243e0a8c99bd91604ce262e59592e47a4a611a8.jpg

Also part of chargen:

Press release from the developer: http://randompotion.com/2019/08/18/press-release-18-8-2019/

Random Potion Is Developing a New The Dark Eye Computer Game
Wild River Games, Ulisses Spiele and Random Potion announce Dark Eye – Book of Heroes!

Random Potion has been working on a new project, The Dark Eye – Book of Heroes, that was announced on Saturday 10th August in Ratcon Limburg roleplaying game convention. The Dark Eye is the most popular tabletop roleplaying game in Germany with over 30 years of history and an active and dedicated fanbase. It aims to bring the tabletop feeling into a digital game. Instead of hack’n’ slash the game has a focus on social interaction and puzzles – though combat also remains an option.

“Our main goal with the game has been to bring a new, more tabletop-like experience to the digital medium and as such The Dark Eye is a perfect fit for us. The game has deep and detailed lore accumulated over decades. It provides content for us to draw from for a long time”, says Creative Director Arto Koistinen. “One of the cool aspects of rules is that it gives the players plenty of options other than just plain old combat. That helps us to bring more varied experience to the Book of Heroes.”

More info of Dark Eye – Book of Heroes from the publisher’s page.

Also follow us on Twitter and Facebook to see the latest updates.

Contact Info

Name: Kirsi Rossi
Email: kirsi.rossi (at) randompotion.com

THE DARK EYE: BOOK OF HEROES © 2019 DAS SCHWARZE AUGE, AVENTURIA, DERE, MYRANOR, RIESLAND, THARUN, UTHURIA and THE DARK EYE Copyright © 2019 Ulisses Spiele GmbH, Waldems. Developed by Random Potion Oy. Wild River © is a trademark of EuroVideo Medien GmbH. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Looks like Path of Exile seven years ago.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The world of Aventuria itself is somewhat boring and cliched, and well like many people I don't like playing in established settings where every nook and cranny is explored.

Depends on which part of the setting. The south is very Conquistador and piratethemed like and has its own flair. But the people love the middlerealm, where most of the story takes place. But there is so much incoherent stuff in there, it shows that the setting is now 35 years old and back then they just added stuff without overthinking it.

One author once said "The Dark Eye is Germany in the middle and build around it the favorite vacation spots of the germans" and that was very astute. Aventurica has one of the more complex religious cosmologies I've ever seen in an RPG. You can build good stories around it, if you take an in-depth look at it.

But like every setting the question is "How" you use this setting. Drakensang 1 did a good job to show us a very comfortable and peaceful part of the continent, while Black Guards took place in the swampy south and it felt very disctinct. When I think of a misused setting, then I think of Luskan in Sword Coast: Legends. The city of pirates and thieves and they didn't use it and turned it into another generic town. So let's wait and see.

Mortmal

Arcane
Should have stopped reading at real time, it usually is shitty, but yet i still managed to get even more disappointed somehow ,thanks Andhaira . Euro trash sword coast clone with procedural generation....

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Yes, you only control one character, plus there is just procedurally generated trash thrown at you, no proper level design / story. Which sadly kills my interest in this.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow this looks bad. Not Schicksalsklinge-HD-hilariously-memetastic-kind-of-bad, more like SkilltreeSaga-boring-and-bland-bad :(

covr

Prophet
Patron
I looks really bad. I guess after Kingmaker, PoE and similar isometric games released in the last years, all other shovelware products are not so sexy as in the early '10.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
This new trend of making everything multiplayer/co-op/social shit is really starting to get on my nerves.
The 21st century world is completely filled with retards and I already have to endure all sorts of assholes and imbeciles whenever I leave home to get to work or to go anywhere else.

I want to play a game to pass time and enjoy an entertainment experience in an alternate imaginary world. I don't want to spend my free time surrounded by idiots in an imaginary world as well.

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer
This new trend of making everything multiplayer/co-op/social shit is really starting to get on my nerves.
The 21st century world is completely filled with retards and I already have to endure all sorts of assholes and imbeciles whenever I leave home to get to work or to go anywhere else.

I want to play a game to pass time and enjoy an entertainment experience in an alternate imaginary world. I don't want to spend my free time surrounded by idiots in an imaginary world as well.
Just do what we did; make the world so big you can only interact with others by purposedly doing multiplayer things and be a lone player if you'd like. I dont see this forced multiplayer thing well, and this is coming from our product being multiplayer-first. Singleplay is a must exactly because there will still have people only focused on doing things in their own pace.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
This game wouldn't exist if not for Pathfinder:Kingmaker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom