Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Memorable Gaming Moments

Falksi

Arcane
We all have our fave games, but which moments from gaming stick with you the most?

Good, bad, ugly funny etc. It doesn't even have to be from a game you like, just moments in gaming which will stick with you forever.

Here's mine to get the ball rolling, obviously SPOILERS ahead.........

1. Boom! Bomber!!! - Contra 3

Contra+III+-+The+Alien+Wars_00015.bmp

"Wow!" Only word for it. Only a handful of minutes into this high octane, action packed SNES classic and I was just trying to catch my breath from the action. Finally get 2 seconds to settle on a screen where nothing appears to be happening and boom! This bod boy swoops down from the sky in all it's glorious Mode 7 glory. Absolutely blown away.

2. I can fly my friend! - Super Mario World

218714-super-mario-world-snes-screenshot-flying-with-a-cape.png

When I bought this masterpiece I bought it on Jap import, and had never played a Mario game before, so I'd no idea what did what, and had to figure it all out from scratch. Needless to say, I was hooked by it's awesome layered simplistic depth from the off, however the moment it went from amazing to supa-fucking-awesome-amazing was when I fluked flying. No idea how I did it, I thought the feather just made you glide after jumping, and the next thing you know I'm somehow flying across the entire level. It was like each go on the game revealed another mint little secret, but this is the one I spunked at.

3. Zangief's Dance - Street Fighter 2

dKepDm4.gif

Haha, what a fucking bellend. When Gorb appeared that was a fair bit of a "WTF" moment, but when Zang gets down & boogies with him I was pissing myself. Surreal shit. Loved it.

4. Psycho Mantis' Controller Switch - Metal Gear Solid 1

249105-mantis_diggaa_castlevaniaa.jpg

Yeah it was a gimmick, but it took that 4th wall and tore it a new one.

5. Joker falling for Batman & Harley - Arkham Origins

Lovely little decent into madness. Here you've got this dumb bird getting wetter by the second as Joker pours his heart out about his desire for Batman.

6. Mowing folk over in a Golf Cart in Vice City to the sound of "Japanese Boy" - GTA Vice City

hqdefault.jpg

Vice City is still to this day the best GTA game for me. The abomination life-sim, play themselves games which the GTA series has become is bollocks, and thankfully Saints Row have picked up the sillyness baton. Anyway, beating someone to death whilst in golfing attire to the song "Japanese Boy" was one of those "WTF?!?" moments I'm eternally greatful for.

7. Pulling Out The Master Sword - A Link To The Past

19c04d230877b4150b5844e2e9bf4098.jpg

Excalibur! Well, not quite, but it was the closest I've come to experiencing such a moment. It really felt significant, and sweetly switched the journey from prologue to main quest.

8. Saved By A Metroid - Super Metroid

Super-Metroid-large-220.jpg

Sent shivers down my spine even just posting this. What a fucking moment. All going to shit, no chance in hell, and the pup you saved early doors comes back to sacrifice itself for you. Things shouldn't be this emotion provoking in the 16-bit era, but it was. Mint.

9. Dying - Curse of Monkey Island

Pirates3_04.jpg

I'm dead?!? What a fucking joke! Well yep, but it did have me going for a second. Great moment in a superb game of a superb trilogy (the rest after Curse don't exist in my mind)

10. Watching your lass get her brains blown out.

2130502-darkness_paulie_and_jenny.jpg

Holy fuck this kicked me straight in the love-spuds like Stuart Pearce twatting a free kick. Brutal shit, yeah I know the game was gonna be dark, it's called "The Darkness" after all, durr, but the speed & punch this was delivered with made it hit home. She looked nice too (Would still have skull fucked her after)

11. Blanka's Reunion

source.gif

Another SF2 WTF moment. That raging beast is gonna cry after his mam? WTF? Brilliant. It's just a shame his sis didn't turn up after for him to rape her, but there's always SF6

12. Divinity 2's Ending

latest

Didn't expect that. Brilliant.

13.. Summoner 2's Ending

hqdefault.jpg

For a game that plays it straight as arrows most the way through, the ending was unexpected & funny as fuck. Awesome game too, one of the best action RPGs I've ever played. check it out.

14. Witcher 2's "reveal"

maxresdefault.jpg

I was fortunate enough to play Roche's path first, which then led to the dragon reveal being even more impactful. Great moment, such a shame more games don't do genuine game-changing C&C like this did.

15. Aeris Alys Dies

maxresdefault.jpg

Fuck Aeris. I mean, I liked FF7, but she was just some daft flower girl who didn't really stand out to me. Alys however was a beastin' hard as nails bitch who was never gonna die. But she did. Quite early into the game too. Played through every playthrough of this still mourning the loss as I progress through the game.

Walking behind the scenery props in Super Mario 3. Nothing is real, everything is permitted.

Doing a very convoluted set of steps that I found in a geocities web ring to unlock the triforce in Ocarina of Time and finding a bunch of wow it's fucking nothing because the "Triforce slot" in the menu is just decoration after all.

Outrunning the camera in Sonic 2 and dying because I can't see the spikes ahead. Blast processing or Assblast programming?

Killing the slavers in the Den in FO2 with the cheesiest method possible, stealing Metzger's shotgun, leaving the room, locking it, leaving the building, then shooting the guys in the entrance through the windows.

Feeling bad about letting Slippy die in Star Fox. Then I learned he's just away repairing his ship during the next mission. But that was totally a death scream.

Cerulean

Cipher
When you leave Vault 101 through the tunnel, and see daylight for the first time in your life. People can criticize Fallout 3 all they want, but damn if this isn't one of the most memorable moments ever...

NsQCFss.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Dude, I feels ya - the end of Fallout 3 what I came here to post. Dude, I made it out of that vault, found my father, watched. him. die. For a dream! A dream of turning on the Jefferson Memorial. I actually tried to get this crazy mutant to do the work for me, but instead I found wisdom. It was like the time I called up an exterminator to get rid of the hornets in my attic. When he got to my house, he said "I will not go. Go up there and get stung to death." Still get a lump in my throat when I think about this memorable gaming moment.

1748c178ed8be532600x.png

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I got a friend to play Morrowind a bit when it first came out. He was a console tard and it took moving heaven and earth to get him to sit down at a PC.

He talked a bunch of trash, 'this is boring', 'what does that potion do?' 'how come my sword isn't hitting the skeletons?' all that kind of shit. Then he wandered into Red Mountain and got chased by an Ogrim Titan as a dust storm kicked up. He lost it and was screaming like a little girl as he ran. blinded by the storm as the Ogrim was on his heels. He finally fell down a ravine and booked it out off the mountain. Then he turned the game over back to me and told me to never ask him to play a computer game again. I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Another one was after a sex romp with my ex. After she passed out, I stayed up for several more hours and finally beat Silent Hill 2. The reason I mention that is because to have both great sex AND defeat a game like SH2 for the first time is not only a wonderful moment, but exceedingly rare. And I celebrated it all before bed with cookies and milk and one final cigarette. What a night.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
way to share

Most memorable "scene" was playing as Spain and stuffing the college of cardinals with all my bishops. I simply assassinated my pope after wiping out a christian faction and replaced him with another bishop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Richard

Arcane
A quiet and sombre moment springs to mind. At the beginning of Wing Commander IV the series protagonist Christopher Blair (played by Mark Hamill) walks into a scuzzy bar, gives a vet some cash for a hot meal, and then peers down at the bartop lost in thought. The dim lighting contributes towards making Blair look particularly worn down. I couldn't help thinking about all the friends I'd lost over three previous games - Spirit, Angel, Shadow, and Hobbes. Then, just as suddenly, Blair's eyes light up when Maniac asks him to come out of retirement.

Despite never liking each other, Blair and Maniac end up becoming friends in this game by virtue of being the only old timers left alive.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you leave Vault 101 through the tunnel, and see daylight for the first time in your life. People can criticize Fallout 3 all they want, but damn if this isn't one of the most memorable moments ever...

NsQCFss.jpg
I completely agree here, all those rating his post bad, put yourself to that position as it was back then, try to re-imagine that moment without the benefit of hindsight: After having completed a silly tutorial/character creation, you get the feeling now the real thing starts, no more silly games, no more tunnel snakes.
Now it's real! Time to embrace Fallout after all these years you've waited, this time in 3D.

(I at least didn't read anything before trying to game, lest I spoil it, so really didn't have any idea what's going to happen.)

....too bad that was the best moment of the game by a fair margin and almost all of it turned shite very shortly after that. A fleeting break, almost instantly over. :negative:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Its less impressive if you played Oblivion first. They're the same game, start to finish.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Feels like I've had deja vu about this thread before, but anyway...

My party in Bard's Tale 1 returned from defeating 396 Berserkers and heading for the Review Board, and kicked in the wrong door.
You meet death itself in the form of:
1 Hobbit

Beheading my opponent in Barbarian while my easily scared little girl cousin watched.

Realizing that I could throw daggers through bars in Dungeon Master. Reinforced by the fact that no (that I know of) modern games have as advanced physics. Instead they can make digital tits bounce.
Killing the Dragon in Dungeon Master. Round and round we danced around the central pillar, then there was a puff of smoke and when it lifted there were lots of dragon steaks neatly stacked on the floor.

Killing several smaller dragons in Chaos Strikes Back, by using sound instead of vision to keep track of them while they breathed though illsionary walls.
Killing a four member squad of Chaos Knights in CSB by opening not just one, but two trapdoors underneath them. And someone said in another thread that real time games have no tactics. :lol:

Watching my gaming buddy play Doom. Momentarily distracted he was surpised by a pinky and jumped a feet or two right up. Never saw such athletisism from him before or after.

A perfect grenade throw over a big rock on the first Ghost Recon map, killing an entire platoon.
Similar in Deus Ex, in the guards' barracks. Couldn't duplicate it with GMDX, though, since the soldiers were more spread out.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I completely agree here, all those rating his post bad, put yourself to that position as it was back then, try to re-imagine that moment without the benefit of hindsight:

I don't see it.
What it is, is just bloom fading out to slightly less bloom.

The idea is the same as it was in Fallout 1, except in first-person. Nothing special.

Maybe it would've been more interesting (at least visually because there's nothing special about the idea) if you got out of an actually dark area AND if there was no loading screen right before it.
Loading screen into bloom all over the screen. Yeah, it's shit.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bruh, The Darkness. The motherfucking The Darkness. I remember back in 2009 exploring the PS3 PS Store, downloading demos of crappy games and then I found The Darkness demo. After playing it I ran to a near videogames shop where they did sell used games because I used to see a copy of the game for 8 bucks or so. Man, what a blast of a game. Maybe it was a mediocre shooter, but I loved playing around with the darkness powers and the ragdolls physics of the enemies. Also the story, atmosphere and overall setting was pretty nice. Even the music.

The sequel was way more faithful to the comics, but nos as good as the first one.

Venser

Erudite
Deus Ex
When Anna Navarre wanted me to kill Lebedev and I blew her up instead.
When I managed to save Miguel and escape with him from UNATCO prison

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
First time I saw the plane crash in Dead Air in Left 4 Dead was a pretty big holy shit moment for me.

laclongquan

Arcane

NsQCFss.jpg
I completely agree here, all those rating his post bad, put yourself to that position as it was back then, try to re-imagine that moment without the benefit of hindsight: After having completed a silly tutorial/character creation, you get the feeling now the real thing starts, no more silly games, no more tunnel snakes.
Now it's real! Time to embrace Fallout after all these years you've waited, this time in 3D.

(I at least didn't read anything before trying to game, lest I spoil it, so really didn't have any idea what's going to happen.)

....too bad that was the best moment of the game by a fair margin and almost all of it turned shite very shortly after that. A fleeting break, almost instantly over. :negative:

Bitch please~

It was the same but of less impact than walking through a morgue and finally, FINALLY get out into the fresh air of city. SIGIL!

And it was ten years earlier too.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

NsQCFss.jpg

Bitch please~

It was the same but of less impact than walking through a morgue and finally, FINALLY get out into the fresh air of city. SIGIL!

And it was ten years earlier too.
But the point is, here was the whole build-up during the wait for the sequel after FO2 - all those years. PST came out of nowhere back then, in a sense. At least without any of the baggage FO3 in the form of expectations.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Was thinking about moments in games that made me laugh recently which is kind of relevant to this thread.

So one of my most memorable moments in gaming was meeting Arch Dornan in Fallout 2.
I was caught so off guard by his never ending barrage of anger that he had me howling of laughter. I still remember it, and it was great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom