Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Discussing a game which isn't wholly an RPG

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Do you bother with the game if it isn't committed to the RPG design fully and what are your reasons? I.E. Lack of customisable character in my example above.

Sure I do, but not games as per your example because they tend to just be boring, just like many ”RPG’s” made in their image.

2. Do you ever rate games that aren't fully RPGs among your favourites?

Civ series, HoMM series, for example. I loved the olden tyme Sierra and Lucas Arts adventures, but haven’t revisited them in a while, so can’t quite say they’re exactly my ”favorites”, but still up there scratching that door.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I believe there is a place for games with dialogue choices/c&c but no rpg mechanics; in various Witchers and Mass Effects the character building is already completely divorced from dialogue system, and in Witcher 3 I found most rpg mechanics detrimental to the experience; it would’ve worked better as a pure action game.

Such games shouldn’t be called rpgs though.

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
Obviously this is a faggy thread but on the plus side I'm already starting to get some of that famous codexer masculinity.

Thal said:
if it doesn't have character development, it can't be an rpg
MpuMngwana said:
Such games shouldn’t be called rpgs though
Yeah I wouldn't refer to what i'm proposing as an rpg, just to see whether it could catch the interest of an audience like codexers

Darth Cannoli said:
What kind of fucking retarded question is that ?
Now this is what I'm here for!

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
Let me guess, Lilura Troll's alt ? Or Roguey maybe ... something smells familiar.
No definitely not, though I am flattered. Was just tryna be funny.
You can find me on basically every online gaming community using the same username, including steam etc

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let me guess, Lilura Troll's alt ? Or Roguey maybe ... something smells familiar.
No definitely not, though I am flattered. Was just tryna be funny.
You can find me on basically every online gaming community using the same username, including steam etc

Gee, there's a lot of people using your username on Steam. Which one of these is you?

HNmlFO0.png

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
1. Do you bother with the game if it isn't committed to the RPG design fully and what are your reasons? I.E. Lack of customisable character in my example above.

1. Yes, as long as it is incline.
2. Yes, Thief and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance are the best games ever put out in their respective genres, and I also like Terraria and buzzwordvanias like La Mulana.

Silly Germans

2. Yes, Thief and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance are the best games ever put out in their respective genres, and I also like Terraria and buzzwordvanias like La Mulana.

Sadly, Surpeme Commander Forged Alliance/FAF is still unrivaled. One of the few games that stands absolutely undisputed at the top in its genre. Has there ever been anything even close to it ?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Sadly, Surpeme Commander Forged Alliance/FAF is still unrivaled. One of the few games that stands absolutely undisputed at the top in its genre. Has there ever been anything even close to it ?
Dawn of War Complete has nowhere near the complexity of Forged Alliance but ties with age of kings in my ranking for the second best RTS. (Although both of them are really RTT, Supreme Commander is one of the few RTS games that is actually an RTS, most are RTT)

user

Savant
Hey guys, this is my first post here so I thought I would start with something which I've been wondering.
Your opinions here are important to me since this is something I would like to create.

1. When it comes to adventure/action games, rarely, if there's no customization at all for the character.
2. Sure.

You could still make the abilities or other intrinsic aspects for your character customizable without changing them much, couldn't you? In other words, customization that doesn't affect their capacity for dialog options like in AoD, fallout etc. Seems to me like not-much-work for potentially much more replayability. No idea what kind of game you want to make though. Have you ever played Outcast btw?

...BUT THEN AGAIN, WHAT IS AN ARPIGI??? NONE KNOWS FOR SURE

Silly Germans

I agree that DoW1 is great, id say its much closer to Warcraft3 than SupCom. It lacks the strategic layer and the long term gameplay. RTT really is an neglected genre.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I agree that DoW1 is great, id say its much closer to Warcraft3 than SupCom. It lacks the strategic layer and the long term gameplay. RTT really is an neglected genre.
I hope that was a typo and you meant RTS. RTT has basically been the de facto implementation of the entire genre that claims to be called "RTS". Shit like starcraft put the nail in the coffin there. There are barely any true RTS games like Supcom where the strategy part of the title is earned in the gameplay versus tactical gookclicking trash which most are.

Silly Germans

You are right of course, this was a typo but I don't know if the popularity of RTT killed RTS games. If the genre grows as a whole there should be more crumbs even for the less popular branches of the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom