Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have 1 hour played on PC in the last 14 days. Currently playing South Park: Fractured But Whole on PS4. I think that I'm nearing the end. It's fairly fun, but I might prefer the first one a little bit more. Ubisoft manages to make it feel like a Ubisoft game. Well, duh is a good response to that, but they really do. There's all these bars you can fill for this and that. I will give them some credit: I was thinking that the game would be a lot "safer" than it is, but it feels like good old South Park to me, even if all the fart jokes get a bit old and stale. It's a decent time waster.

I'm playing through quite a few console games, since it feels like I have neglected them for quite a while. Maybe I'll even turn on my Switch one of these days.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Replayed Doki Doki Literature Club.

14fd1f95f75ee4ba936795723316.jpg

I unironically love it. But after replaying it... I can't help but wonder if the game wouldn't be even better without the meta creepypasta gimmick. Realistic psychological horror maybe? Fuck, I would play it as a normal anime dating VN. Yes, I'm a massive faggot apparently.
Gotta love the amount of clever details. Sayori theme variant being somewhat apathetic; some suspicious words she reacts to during the poetry minigame; realizing what was the meaning of her first poem. Genuinely clever stuff... in a free creepypasta gimmick game.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
The creepypasta gimmick ruins the game with its (initially) serious themes and devalues all of its characters. But the game is hyped up because of the creepypasta gimmick.
rating_prosper.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Took all seven characters through Nightmare in Diablo 2.
Now on Hell things are really starting to get hard. My cold Sorceress went from easiest to hardest to play suddenly, with so many monster being Cold Immune. And I thought Cold Mastery would pierce that immunity? Fire and Lightning spells are just so weak and/or slow compared with the two top Ice spells.

Anyway I get the impression Diablo 2 is not very much liked around here? Can't recall any dedicated Diablo 2 threads, and very little response on my own small postings.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Anyway I get the impression Diablo 2 is not very much liked around here? Can't recall any dedicated Diablo 2 threads, and very little response on my own small postings.

The Diablo 4 thread made me think about Diablo 2, as I never played it. I downloaded it on Thursday and played it throughout the weekend.

Gregz

Arcane
Now on Hell things are really starting to get hard. My cold Sorceress went from easiest to hardest to play suddenly, with so many monster being Cold Immune. And I thought Cold Mastery would pierce that immunity? Fire and Lightning spells are just so weak and/or slow compared with the two top Ice spells.

Diablo II is a fantastic game, but it's a mainstream aRPG so you don't get KKKs for promoting it here.

There are certain items that can help reduce enemy elemental resists.

At the phase of the game you are currently playing, you are basically expected to play online and trade with other players for extremely rare items to enhance whatever build you're going for. There are still people playing online, so you could go that route, but I would highly recommend trying Median XL instead. I can almost guarantee it will blow your mind if you enjoyed D2. Try the version I've linked below, not Sigma.

I would start with a summoner necro to help you farm items for other builds:

http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/
https://web.archive.org/web/20100727201648/http://modsbylaz.14.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Last edited:

Comte

I have never played Diablo 2 but your posts have got me interested in it. I value your prestigious opinions on games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Diablo II is a fantastic game, but it's a mainstream aRPG so you don't get KKKs for promoting it here.

There are certain items that can help reduce enemy elemental resists.

At the phase of the game you are currently playing, you are basically expected to play online and trade with other players for extremely rare items to enhance whatever build you're going for. There are still people playing online, so you could go that route, but I would highly recommend trying Median XL instead. I can almost guarantee it will blow your mind if you enjoyed D2. Try the version I've linked below, not Sigma.

I would start with a summoner necro to help you farm items for other builds:

http://modsbylaz.vn.cz/
https://web.archive.org/web/20100727201648/http://modsbylaz.14.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Median XL is on my list, but I reckon it will take some years before I'll try it.

I had hoped seven characters would be enough to get me the items I need, but I've still only completed some of the basic Sets, of which all are too weak now. Parts of them (Sigon's and Cleglaw's) are still useful, though.
Online play is not attractive to me. I get the impression most of them already have all the items. Every time someone asks "is this item any good?", it's always "use this and that instead" as if you can just buy the rarest items from Carsi.

But I discovered that with PlugY I can respec my characters at will, so I'm changing my sorceress into a Ice/Lightning combo, with Nova as the main Lightning spell. It seems like the fastest and most effective of the Lightning spells.

I think I completed D2 Classic on Hell with a WW Barbarian back in the days, and that was before I knew about Runewords and Plugy, so Hell should be doable with most of the characters even without farming or trading.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Bad North - It's a very simple RTS with nice minimalistic visuals. You get up to four units to defend an island from a viking invasion. Those units belong to one of three types (swords, immobile pikes, archers), and all of them are really simple to master. The enemies mostly belong to the same three types. This leads to simple battles with no deep strategies to master. Just basic logic, put archers up high, immobile pikes in choke points, tell swords to chase enemies. The ai will always run at you like zombies. Done, that's the game.
This simplicity comes to the fore by a rogue lite design where you start over after a lose (there are a few checkpoints), which forces the players to play the same parts over and over again without learning anything or improving their skills, because there isn't much to improve, the game isn't deep enough for that. Naturally, the earlier parts with less units are simpler and more boring, and the game forces the players to play these parts over and over again. There might be advanced content somewhere down the line, but playing those boring early levels was a chore the first time, replaying them is a punishment.
This issue with roguelites pops up a lot. They ape the basic structure of roguelikes without putting in a mechanism for skipping the early game. Nethack allows players to fall into holes in the ground to speed up their decent, Zangband has staircases that lead to floor 50 of 100, accessible right from the start. This allows players to balance the difficulty on their own, so new players usually grind the early levels, while skilled players might opt to rely on their wits and skip straight to the deeper and harder levels. Bad North has neither the skill component to practice, nor the mechanism for skipping the early parts. There are no challenges to chase, or a button to speed up the combat and animations, so it really is just playing the same thing over and over again.
It's a nice game if you're new to RTS games, than one might find it challenging to handle the controls, or grasp the basic strategies involved. I can see how it would appeal to players who are truly new to the genre but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I finished Nier:Automata and a second playthrough as 9S up to the final boss before I decided to call it quits at 32~ hours. Overall, I think it was a solid well made game and I would definitely recommend it to others for a playthrough, keyword being a. It's a beautiful visual direction and fun world to explore the first time around. The combat is entertaining and has a lot going for it for the first 15 hours. Ultimately the game overstays its welcome and shoves in padding by putting multiple continuations kind of like an NG+ that you have to play if you want to further develop and see parts of the characters and story that weren't in the first playthrough. Throughout that, you have to then run around the same small world and participate in many of the same things you did while repeating the combat which stopped being fresh and fluid after the first 15 hours. It then becomes a chore to run around the same locations, and the combat while fun for the first playthrough gets stale and repetitive, where I started button mashing to victory because I just wanted to get it over with.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I finished Nier:Automata and a second playthrough as 9S up to the final boss before I decided to call it quits at 32~ hours.
Does "a second playthrough as 9S up to the final boss" indicate you stopped at Ending B and therefore missed the second half of the game (Endings C, D, and E)? :M

Meaning that you never played as A2.

0wApDGG.png

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Yes. The core gameplay became button mashing at that point with the occasional evade thrown in to most efficiently remove enemies, and it was a chore I wanted to get over with to reach closure with the game.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Overall, I think it was a solid well made game and I would definitely recommend it to others for a playthrough, keyword being a.
Sort of seems like you'd actually recommend it for half a playthrough.:M
If that's what they were going for then it was needless padding to force playtime when they should have condensed all of the storylines and characters into one full shot. Bad design decision.

Jinn

Arcane
If that's what they were going for then it was needless padding to force playtime when they should have condensed all of the storylines and characters into one full shot. Bad design decision.

You'll be missing an entirely unique playthrough by not continuing to play, just so you know. Maybe give it a break for awhile and come back to it at a later date? You'll be missing a lot if you just end it at 9S. Also curious how much you used 9S's hacking ability, as that mixes up the gameplay for his playthrough quite a bit.

Vatnik Wumao

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Been playing a bit of Valfaris. A game I somehow found out about through the steam tag search, which I'm not sure they actually intend to be actually used by anyone it's so crap.
I think it's pretty sweet. Its surprisingly successful in its heavy metal aesthetic and that the difficulty was at an adequate level almost right out the gate. I'm 3 hours in and looking forward to playing more.

I also played around 20 hours of Rogue Legacy, because sometimes you just want a game to help you turn your mind off so that you can pretend you don't exist. Basic busywork grind that only works when listening to a podcast on the side.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Wasteland (PC)

What a masterpiece. Overall, I enjoyed it even more than I did Fallout, which itself is among my top 10 games ever.

I never played this back when it was released, but I wish I had! It took me just over 25 hours to finish, but that includes a couple of restarts where I discovered that I didn't really like how I had built my party. Once I got used to the interface, I found the game to have aged extremely well; great interface that lets you just zip through menus in seconds once you learn it.

The combat was pretty dull. You can't heal during combat (although you can heal wounds), so it just seemed like a battle of attrition without any tactics at all. It was very satisfying, however, to take down stronger enemy groups and watch my combat skills go through the roof!

Of course, one doesn't play Wasteland for the combat—it's the exploration and freedom you have in interacting with non-combat encounters. Outside of Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum, it's simply unparalleled.

---

My next RPG is either going to be Bard's Tale 2 (I'm already near the end) or Demon's Winter (a childhood favorite that I never finished).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Warcraft 2
You spend a lot of time on developing your base and amassing enough forces compared to how much time is spent on fighting. Everything tends to die very quickly.
It looks like the addon campaigns turned down the amount of naval missions and the need to develop the fleet from what little i tried of them.
It's a bit annoying that you usually need to wipe all of the enemy units/building to complete missions.

I kinda dig the cartoony look of this one compared to what it turned into in WoW.

Fr0gic

Literate
Been playing BotW and Hollow Knight on my Switch. Finally defeated Ancient #4 (the flying one) and now just idly wandering around the highlands area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom