Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian - "Project New Jersey"

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Phantasmal said:
An RPG with Street Fighter 3-like combat would even be awesome, if it could somehow be worked into a keyboard and mouse control scheme. Some jRPGs have touched on that and they were damn fun, Star Ocean and Tales of... series comes to mind. Devil May Cry combat was a little too much button mashing though.
Fixed. Because Namco gameplay is noob faggotry.
No, just no. Street Fighter garbage has nothing on Tekken.
Fuck you.

A user named cat

I'm not a fighting game fanboy, far from it really as I'll only touch them if I have a friend to play with. But I've played most of them, and always enjoyed Tekken the most. Used to play Tekken 3 at stoner parties and played Tekken 4 plenty enough. 2D fighting games blow, they sucked back in the day and they suck now. Street Fighter is no exception, I don't believe I've met a single person outside the internet who still plays that shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm.. I've played most fighting games and what I can say is that I like Soul Calibur the most, then comes King of Fighters, and then.. well... then all the rest.

I like Soul calibur because of the art style and.. well.. the weapons, levels, characters and the possibility to design some yourself. Seems to be just my taste. And that it not has what I dislike about Street Fighter:

I disliked about the "recent" Street Fighter games is that there were those completely silly combos, that just killed you, once started. People who were able to do those were impossible to beat for those who weren't, even if they had equal or better reactions, etc. Just because they were not able to produce an flawless stream of button-combos. Sure, that is always a part of beat 'em ups, but it shouldn't be everything that counts. At least that was the case with some Street Fighter Alpha I played.

What I dislike about Tekken is that it just is so painfully slow. Seriously, play a round of KoF or Street Fighter, followed by a round of Tekken. Feels like slow motion.
On the other hand, if you have a girlfriend, this might be the right beat em up game to play together. And I mean this in a positive way, as you can still have fun with Tekken, of course ;)

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Hümmelgümpf said:
Gummi Bears RPG?! :shock:

No, but that idea is really something, you know? Bouncing sim! Why, they bounce here, they bounce THERE... one could even say they bounce EVERYWHERE!

...okay my oldskool cartoon fangirlery stops now. I think the fact that the Codex is ARGUING OVER FIGHTING GAMES broke my brain somehow.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, come on. You know there are far more terrifying things happening here ;)

Also, thanks for bringing that song to my mind.... :?

Silellak

Cipher
Annie Carlson said:
Hümmelgümpf said:

No, but that idea is really something, you know? Bouncing sim! Why, they bounce here, they bounce THERE... one could even say they bounce EVERYWHERE!

...okay my oldskool cartoon fangirlery stops now. I think the fact that the Codex is ARGUING OVER FIGHTING GAMES broke my brain somehow.

Street Fighter 2 was too short on choices & consequences. "Do I want to kick, punch, or throw a fireball" is not a valid choice.

[Jez]

Novice
Silellak said:
Street Fighter 2 was too short on choices & consequences. "Do I want to kick, punch, or throw a fireball" is not a valid choice.
I disagree, no matter the occasion being able to throw a fireball should always be a valid choice

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
[Jez] said:
Silellak said:
I disagree, no matter the occasion being able to throw a Hadouken should always be a valid choice
Fixed.

Silellak

Cipher
[Jez] said:
Silellak said:
I disagree, no matter the occasion being able to throw a fireball should always be a valid choice

Admit it, the C&C in Street Fighter 2 was crap. No matter what decision you made, it was always the same result: you knocked your opponent out. There was no choice; just the illusion of choice.

Now, Mortal Kombat 2 revolutionzed the genre. Why? One word: Friendship. Finally, diplomacy was a valid choice in fighting games, and has been ever since. There were even consequences: the people you spared came back to aid you in the final battle against Shao Khan, while you had to face the ghosts of the ones you chose to slay.*

* - note: may not actually be true

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Raapys said:
Mortal Combat > *
Actually this is sorta accurate... MK vs DC is easily the best fighting game within several years.

And it has the best roster EVAR, for it has Captain Marvel. Other rosters don't.

Vaarna_Aarne

Silellak said:
Annie Carlson said:
Hümmelgümpf said:

What about a flying headbutt or a balls-grab-crush?

Silellak

Cipher
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Silellak said:
Annie Carlson said:
Hümmelgümpf said:

What about a flying headbutt or a balls-grab-crush?

See above. It's still a cosmetic, shallow choice, because all choices lead to the same two consequences:

I knocked out the enemy
I got knocked out

Unacceptable.

Silellak

Cipher
thesheeep said:
Not true. There is also the not very probable, but possible case of a draw.

Technically, that's just a combination of both of the other consequences, sort of like finding a way to get both the "good" and "evil" quest rewards in an RPG.

Combining two existing consequences to form a third consequence is incredibly lazy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Raapys said:
It had great writing though.
And the combat was very entertaining, despite being RT.

Though it did have little in the way of dialogue or world interaction. Deep-down, it was linear as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom