Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's pretty unfair to the games on my list; I just appreciate when they don't waste my time. I have no problem with florid or purple prose, but only if it serves a point. I respect a game that respects my limited time.
You could be overreacting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i told you it was a trap

but now it's too late

soon the cult will coerce you into saying it's your favourite game

poor jasede; so young, and already in the next world
It is time to stop with those passive aggressive posts and just admit that it is your favourite game of 2019!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's pretty unfair to the games on my list; I just appreciate when they don't waste my time. I have no problem with florid or purple prose, but only if it serves a point. I respect a game that respects my limited time.
You could be overreacting.
Go play the new spellforce game,the writing is really fucking good and to the point. One of the best rpgs from the last few years.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede
I doubt it's bias, it just is immensely overrated. I've had no (negative) bias prior to playing it, it was one of the most anticipated games of this year for me but I ended up disappointed, especially after all the hype this game got. Here's my opinion of it: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...view-disco-elysium.130591/page-5#post-6395765
That was a nice long review, thanks for the link brother.
His review was fucking DOG SHIT. And he keeps reposting it to get his ratings because he's a fucking loser. I responded to every one of his critiques, and there was not a single word edgewise from this bitch.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...view-disco-elysium.130591/page-5#post-6395844
Literally 90% of the things he said can be applied to AoD, a game Goral likes and has as his avatar. Unbiased he is clearly not.
Ah, most likely I still won't like it, but I should at least play past the first few minutes I guess. Especially if that guy says the opening conversation is one of the weaker parts.

In all honesty, I also think the Mortuary in PS:T is one of the more slow, boring parts.
Just pirate it, play a couple of hours, and if you like it, buy the game and finish it. No reason to waste money or potentially rob yourself of a good gaming experience.

As for your list of games with good writing, I'll reiterate what I said in the shitbox. You have a fundamentally different view of what constitutes good writing in a game, and it's entirely possible that DE doesn't fit that mold. The problem is that you're imposing your arbitrary view of what makes video game writing good when you're coming from a completely different viewpoint from everyone else. It's not fair to say a game has shit writing when you want something entirely different from a game's writing than what someone else might want. Using myself as an example, I don't really like blobbers. A couple of them were good and I finished, but the vast majority I just don't find fun. You've never seen me go into a thread about blobbers though, and rail about the game being shit. The game isn't being made for people like me, and similarily, DE is a storytelling focused game that is targeted to a specific group of people. Not liking the game is understandable, but coming into the main thread, saying the game has shit/overrated writing, and that anyone who likes it is a grognard/modern ape, is just not accurate.

Oh, and all the stuff you said about PS:T,
Planescape: Torment - obviously, the writing in PS:T is pretty verbose. If it were made today, with a proper budget, a lot of the flavor writing would be off-loaded to the animations or graphics department. That said, despite the vast quantity of text, I never feel like a line is just there to insist upon itself. As in, each line has a concrete purpose: it builds the setting, or it teaches you about your main character. The word choices are nuanced without being outlandish. All in all very memorable writing, as far as video game writing goes.
can be applied to DE very easily. The only way I can see it going wrong is if you get triggered by the actual stlye of the writing, but that can't be helped.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Thank God that Goral linked his review again, otherwise we could have missed it considering it was only posted to about three different threads and then where would we be?

His review was fucking DOG SHIT. And he keeps reposting it to get his ratings because he's a fucking loser. I responded to every one of his critiques, and there was not a single word edgewise from this bitch.

Kim did warn you about Goral Cuno but you did not listen.

Citizen

Is this just pure storyfaggotry like Visual Novel: Torment or is it actually good? I'm afraid my combatfag brain will melt if I play for more than half a hour without my comfort-zone murderhobo routine

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It can be quite a shock coming from Obsidian games, it's like starving in a desert from eating your own feces, then trying to eat a humongous juicy steak. Try emptying your mind, play some game devoid of writing as a palate cleanser (see whatever Roxxor is playing if you can't find anything).

Think of DE as a unique foreign feast served in an obscure hole in a wall type of restaurant, let them just serve you, don't try to add McDonald's to it.

Citizen

Okay I'll give it a try, but you two are completely responsible for whatever damage this does to fragile psyche

Would be visiting me weekly in a mental institution, changing flowers in a pot and my diapers

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
i told you it was a trap

but now it's too late

soon the cult will coerce you into saying it's your favourite game

poor jasede; so young, and already in the next world
A prerequisite to reviewing a story-driven game like DE is being able to speak English Roxor, which renders your opinion irrelevant. KURWA MAĆ!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I responded to every one of his critiques, and there was not a single word edgewise from this bitch.
lol

You want me to respond to your retarded arguments? OK.
This was a garbage example. Perhaps instead of jumping into the docks from the railing, you should have considered the consequences of jumping down to an enclosed area, with no obvious way of getting back up.
An obvious way is climbing up or using Kim who was still up there or using jacket/coat or going down by jumping further down or dozen other ways e.g. using crane that moved containers (although that could require one of them to temporarily stay there if the console had monostable relay instead of bistable) or just shooting the door or just breaking the door glass. The fact that you can't think of even one obvious way of going back doesn't mean it's garbage example, it just means you're retarded. Not to mention that it was ridiculous that one fat man could prevent two policeman (one of whom was armed) from getting out.
Almost every game has some form of gated content, whether it's the old IE games, Underrail, AoD, etc. This example is valid, it's just ridiculous of you to hold it against the game.
The problem isn't that gated content exists, the problem is in its frequency, amount and form and in the dev's statement that it's an open world game. Not being able to go through such laughable obstacle is just ridiculous. Anyway, I would like to hear examples of gated content in Age of Decadence, let's here it and compare it with DE.

Except you can advance the plot without Kim, right up until encountering with Ruby.
You can only to certain degree. At the very start you can't advance the plot until you talk with Kim and conclude the day, later you won't be able to take things further unless Kim is with you. Just ridiculous.

An open-world game doesn't mean every option is possible, it just means that you have the right to attempt things with no guarantee of success.
WTF are you talking about? Your definition of an open world game is just utterly dumb. You're spouting some irrelevant shit right now or making obvious statements. Of course we can't have all options available in any game (open-world or otherwise), that wasn't the point of my argument. My point was that even such an obvious move like going solo to progress the plot was unavailable to us and without any sensible reason. In fact knowing what we know Harry working alone was his modus operandi and at least in my playthrough his contribution was minimal (the car and the radio and that's it). Maybe if I had a different build his presence would be needed but that actually works against the game (they made him essential so that no matter which build we chose we wouldn't get stuck).

You have an AoD avatar, one would think you'd understand that.
No I don't, which shows how retarded you are. It's no wonder that someone with your (lack of) observation skills and intelligence is praising DE. To me many plot twists or hints were obvious (like the one with deeper footprints), to you it must have been mind blowing.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having to fulfill a requirement if you want to do a specific action.
Oh, but there is in this case. That "conclude day" thing requires us to talk with Kim for some reason, we can't just go to sleep. If that is your idea of an open world game then now you know why I didn't even bother to respond to your stupid arguments.

How do you know he's going to be there the following days? Whether or not he doesn't just up and leave after the conversation is left ambiguous.
I wasn't talking about that you retard. We literally can't talk to a guy that we talked to 5 seconds earlier. Once we leave the room it's the end, we can't go back (we can't even get in). And no, it's not just one example, I've presented plenty more (but not all of course, there are too many to name).

And if the game hit you with some text and/or killed you, you would have railed against the game for preventing you from doing something. Short of letting you walk in the dark without a flashlight, you would have found some bullshit to say about the game keeping you from doing something.
You're making some audacious assumptions here and indirectly admit that it is ridiculous and retarded but since you have no way of countering my argument you're going ad personam :D.At least you've admitted that the tape thing was stupid but that makes me wonder, if you see how stupid this example is how come you don't see the rest?

For the rest I don't have time and discussing with you is pointless anyway, you're just too stupid.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Jesus fucking christ, the words "retard" comes up 5 times, "stupid" 4 times, "ridiculous" 4 times, and so on, in this post. That is some high grade quality arguing right here, I cannot get enough of these 8 years old sharpened rethrorics, it's not obnoxious at all

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
An obvious way is climbing up or using Kim who was still up there or using jacket/coat or going down by jumping further down or dozen other ways e.g. using crane that moved containers (although that could require one of them to temporarily stay there if the console had monostable relay instead of bistable) or just shooting the door or just breaking the door glass. The fact that you can't think of even one obvious way of going back doesn't mean it's garbage example, it just means you're retarded. Not to mention that it was ridiculous that one fat man could prevent two policeman (one of whom was armed) from getting out.
It's not that I can't think of other ways to get up, it's that you're expecting every single possible scenario or thing you can try to be represented in the game world. There is NOT A SINGLE FUCKING RPG that maps out every single possible thing that can be attempted. Perhaps the reason the game didn't allow you to use Kim get back up is that the wall was too high. Maybe the Crane couldn't reach, or perhaps it was monostable versus bistable as you said. Obviously I can think of ways to try and get out, but you sitting here and acting like the game is absolute trash because it doesn't allow you to try every strategy or idea that you might be able to think of. No other game is held to this level of scrutiny regarding what can and can't be done.

Also, the Fatman doesn't prevent the policemen from getting out, they're simply locked in with no other way of getting outside other than going through the door. Sure they could break it down, but why the fuck would they do that? Talking to the Union leader is one of the tasks that Kim and Harry need to do, why the fuck would you jump down into the Union docks if you didn't want to talk to him yet?
The problem isn't that gated content exists, the problem is in its frequency, amount and form and in the dev's statement that it's an open world game.
Yet to really hear any examples of gated content other than the second half of the map being closed off till Wednesday.
You can only to certain degree. At the very start you can't advance the plot until you talk with Kim and conclude the day, later you won't be able to take things further unless Kim is with you. Just ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous...Every game has triggers like this. You can't advance the plot in Underrail until you take the circuit board to Tanner. You can't advance the plot in PS:T until you talk to Pharod. IWD literally gates off sections of the map so you go through it in the order it asks you to. BG prevents you from advancing the plot until you investigate specific areas. Age of Decadence teleports you to the person you need to talk to, while DE instead forces you to walk over and talk to him. There is literally no difference you fucking brainlet. And again, what the fuck do you mean you can't take things further unless Kim is with you? Short of the Ruby encounter, you can advance the story and visit wherever you want. You're absolutely full of shit.
WTF are you talking about?
Maybe if you had a brain you'd know what I was talking about.
upload_2019-11-30_17-21-16.png

The game is a mix of gated content with linear sections, nested in an open world where the player can explore and approach objectives freely. What is there to misunderstand? There is nothing about being able to play the game solo or with companions? Is Underrail suddenly a less open-world game because it doesn't allow you to recruit a companion? If games are allowed to force you to go through the entire thing solo, they should also be allowed to force you through the game with a companion. You can progress the plot when you're alone right up until you get to the Ruby encounter. This does not mean the entire game is linear and gated off. Fuck off.
No I don't, which shows how retarded you are. It's no wonder that someone with your (lack of) observation skills and intelligence is praising DE. To me many plot twists or hints were obvious (like the one with deeper footprints), to you it must have been mind blowing.
Too bad I wasn't talking about the plot at all, but sections of the game that are gated and forced upon the player, something AoD is filled with.
Oh, but there is in this case. That "conclude day" thing requires us to talk with Kim for some reason, we can't just go to sleep. If that is your idea of an open world game then now you know why I didn't even bother to respond to your stupid arguments.
In Goral's world, a single requirement like this automatically disqualifies the game from being open-world. Literal fucking monkey. Oh, but you wouldn't have a problem if the game just teleported you to the balcony and thrust you into the conversation as AoD does? You fucking ape.

You're making some audacious assumptions here and indirectly admit that it is ridiculous and retarded but since you have no way of countering my argument you're going ad personam :D.At least you've admitted that the tape thing was stupid but that makes me wonder, if you see how stupid this example is how come you don't see the rest?

For the rest I don't have time and discussing with you is pointless anyway, you're just too stupid.
Am I wrong? What real fucking difference is there between the game killing you when walking in darkness without a flashlight, and just not letting you do it?

I'm done. What's sad is that Goral really tries to larp like he's unbiased and gave the game a fair shake, while at least people like Roxor, Latro, Aweigh, etc, openly refuse to play it and shit on it anyway because they're pushing an agenda. The same things he shits on DE for, he turns a blind eye when to when it comes to AoD.

And why the fuck is there such a big emphasis on whether or not the game is open world? Even if I was to completely all his arguments about linearity, and gated content, we're still left with a game that tells a great story, in a fascinating setting, with excellent writing. Is IWD less of a game because it's so linear? Absolutely not. Goral has no argument, he's just a butthurt faggot.

EDIT: Notice how he didn't touch any of my arguments addressing his complaints about the game's writing. That's because he clearly misunderstood or purposefully misrepresented several of his points regarding the game's writing, and there's no way to weasel out of me exposing them.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, just a note on page 142 of a thread on Disco Elysium, I finally finished the game without looking at clues and threads and played the game as someone recommended: without reloads after failed rolls, choosing the options that made the most sense at the time.

Without reading any of the shit here... I really liked the game. It was unique. It had it's own style and rhythm. I didn't agree with everything, but what I saw I really liked. Very rare for a game to allow me enough dialogue to play as I like. As over the top some of the dialogue was in some points, it set a new standard for open world dialogue. Honestly, you want C&C? Here it is, bitch.

The irony that it didn't have any combat still kind of has me scratching my head. Also, some of the skill checks were a little stacked against me. Ok, I have 5 points in perception, but the roll is 3%... so let me back out of the conversation, change into my perception clothes and get... uh.. 48%...

Emily blew her head off, 7 folks died in the execution, I had to get someone to get that body down, I made enemies to find the drug dealing trucker, I was labeled a nationalist and a racist but a damn good cop by that Chinaman partner, and I went deeper into the thing that makes no noise than any man would have a right to, but I can see my next play through being a totally different experience. This is a good thing. Really!

I'm not just blowing smoke as the hivemind - this game is good. Shee-it.

Puteo

Learned
in fact you might even make fun of me for naming these.

Nah, I was only going to do that if you listed Undertale. :shittydog:

Gothic 1/2 - the German in this game is astoundingly well-written for being so light-hearted. Every other game written in German suffers from German just not working too well in 'high fantasy' settings. But here, they pulled it off. Maybe it's their tone of levity, or the permanent snark of the main character, but the writing in this just works.

Deus Ex - just strong all around, even the flavor text and emails

Pathologic 2 (I think I don't need to explain this one. It trims the fat from P1 while retaining its unique bizarre style. Like with Disco, it's ... odd, but at least in this one I can see what they are going for.)

Are you hitting on me? because yes

Jesus fucking christ, the words "retard" comes up 5 times, "stupid" 4 times, "ridiculous" 4 times, and so on, in this post. That is some high grade quality arguing right here, I cannot get enough of these 8 years old sharpened rethrorics, it's not obnoxious at all

This is what happens when the bourgeois batailles hoard all the adjectives for their own reviews; refusing to share with the working class Gorals who must subsist on the scraps. Leaving them only the unwanted "retard"s and "stupid"s to express their discontent

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Goral simply ran out of vocabulary in a single sentence :)

'avin' a giggle mate? I'lldeckyouonthehead swearonmemum!

Black Angel

Arcane
I really can't comprehend why is Goral on a literal crusade against this game. Literally every post praising the game/objecting his arguments, at least those that he can get to, are rated 'No'.

Mortmal

Arcane
I really can't comprehend why is Goral on a literal crusade against this game. Literally every post praising the game/objecting his arguments, at least those that he can get to, are rated 'No'.
Cause the game is That good, we are used to find thread shitting on fallout or planescape or arcanum, soon you will have some of those on disco too, cause its really a memorable game as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom