Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Roads - turn-based Australian post-apocalyptic RPG with "unique morality system" - coming April 10th

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I don't see any Abbos. Australians still pretending they don't exist?

Who can pretend they don't exist, besides non-Australians?

They would be perfect for post-apocalyptic Australia.

Could pay respect to the positive aspects of thier culture, The Dreamtime being a good example. Would work great in a CRPG as the typical "spirit-realm/dimension" you could jump in and out of. Lots of story potential there.

d1nolore

Savant
I don't see any Abbos. Australians still pretending they don't exist?

Who can pretend they don't exist, besides non-Australians?

They would be perfect for post-apocalyptic Australia.

Could pay respect to the positive aspects of thier culture, The Dreamtime being a good example. Would work great in a CRPG as the typical "spirit-realm/dimension" you could jump in and out of. Lots of story potential there.

Or you could simply just put aboriginal looking characters in the game. You know since its Australia, and post-apocalyptic, and Abbos have survived there for 10's of thousands of years.

Even Arcanum had boomerangs.

d1nolore

Savant
Seriously if I can play an Abbo with a spear chucking thing, spear quiver, cork hat, croc skin belt, and a boomerang side arm I will buy this game.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Seriously if I can play an Abbo with a spear chucking thing, spear quiver, cork hat, croc skin belt, and a boomerang side arm I will buy this game.
Need the can of sniff too der mate, dun forget dat.

Racial Perk: +80% to END after sniffing unleaded petrol fumes, 3 hour buff.

bataille

Arcane
Torturing someone is a nihilistic act? What? Are you sure you're not confusing amoralism with immoralism?

And how does it even make sense to have an "existentialist" coordinate if the compass itself is existentialist by the sheer virtue of being someone's mental portrait?

Not to mention that to adequately classify the morality of an action you would need another "moral compass," which is actually existentialist, to compare the action against, simply because it often boils down to intention. As it is right now, it's not a compass, but 4 unrelated concepts that have no business being near each other.

Sorry, but all this nonsense sounds like something Demiurgos' (rest in peace) clueless sibling would say...

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Torturing someone is a nihilistic act? What? Are you sure you're not confusing amoralism with immoralism?

And how does it even make sense to have an "existentialist" coordinate if the compass itself is existentialist by the sheer virtue of being someone's mental portrait?

Not to mention that to adequately classify the morality of an action you would need another "moral compass," which is actually existentialist, to compare the action against, simply because it often boils down to intention. As it is right now, it's not a compass, but 4 unrelated concepts that have no business being near each other.

Sorry, but all this nonsense sounds like something Demiurgos' (rest in peace) clueless sibling would say...
TIDY FUCKING KRIIIIIIIIIIIST SHUT THE FUCK UP WOMAN!!11!!!1!!!!!!1!!1!!!!!!!2q1!!

Nietzsche-Gun.jpg

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Perhaps the compass reflects a shift in ethics and morals being it's set in the post-nuclear apocalypse of Straya?

If not, who cares? If the writers aren't claiming the game as some prophetic, literary masterwork that will shape minds - they can be given a free pass.

It's fiction after all, not all writers want to be an L. Ron Hubbard. If they focus on making a good CRPG (strategy+c&c) that's all that matters.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a letter of approval from a nearby cultural centre that basically says I am approaching this in a respectful way

Yeah, we wouldn't want to be culturally insensitive in a post apocalyptic setting.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Isn't there some kind of taboo about depicting dead aborginals in their culture? I remember The Proposition having disclaimer in the start about that. If that's true, then it might not be really feasible having aborginals in the game.

just

Liturgist
nearby cultural center approves that there are no abos in the game

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
i'm not clicking that site, it's full of fascists
can someone copy the post here
The post is basically just him virtue signalling and self censoring. He has no spine along with his dev team and is probably a pussy. Seems too afraid to offend someone. And everything has to be run by his "advisors" whether it can be in the game or not. Because God forbid the people that will never buy or play the game might get upset.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've never particularly liked morality systems. Torment probably did it the best, but I think that locking some options behind faction or character reputation works the better and is relatively simple on paper.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I've never particularly liked morality systems. Torment probably did it the best, but I think that locking some options behind faction or character reputation works the better and is relatively simple on paper.

Best to just stick with DnD morality system imo. Everyone understands it and it never comes across as abstract in any setting.

Kotor's mortality system was entertaining, only because it fell heavily into the cheese category with "dark side v light side". Unintentionally hilarious.

Dark Side path was almost like a comedy, protagonist basically becomes Black Adder style evil, just a prick at every opportunity to his squad, unprovoked. Ask Carth casually about his history in the Sith Wars, only to snap and call him a worthless coward, mere
seconds later, question his loyalty to you as leader and give the impression he's close to treason already. Then do the same with everyone else - and they put up with you, just because :lol:

thesecret1

Arcane
I have a letter of approval from a nearby cultural centre that basically says I am approaching this in a respectful way
What the hell, this is one of the most spineless things I've ever heard anyone say. Imagine id software going "Yeah, we ran it through our advisors and the local parish, and after removing all blood and gore from the game, we have a letter of approval from the bishop that we're approaching this in a Christian way".

Swigen

Arbiter
I dunno, I think it shows foresight and a realistic understanding of the times we live in. 99% of the people who complain about the portrayal of minority groups in gaems are not the even members of said minority groups. When twitter ‘tards start crying (and they will) it’d be good to be able to say, “look, I have a note from the abbos that says they don’t give a shit, so plz STFU”.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing to do is to just ignore, not to make somersaults to appease them.

But there is more to it here, since it involves money too:

acquired for some government funding we applied for

The post is basically just him virtue signalling and self censoring. He has no spine along with his dev team and is probably a pussy. Seems too afraid to offend someone. And everything has to be run by his "advisors" whether it can be in the game or not. Because God forbid the people that will never buy or play the game might get upset.

Thanks for the summary.

:updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom