Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Not to mention Turn Based systems fundamentally are slower by design. Enemy makes a move, enemy makes an animation, and so on. In other words there is downtime. Compare the likes of Baldur's Gate to Temple of Elemental Evil.

This is not correct. In turn based systems you can allow players do dramatically speed-up or skip animations. While in real-time games all animations have to play out normally. There is no reason the ToEE guys made a turn-based game animations as slow as the ones in RTwP games.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not to mention Turn Based systems fundamentally are slower by design. Enemy makes a move, enemy makes an animation, and so on. In other words there is downtime. Compare the likes of Baldur's Gate to Temple of Elemental Evil.

This is not correct. In turn based systems you can allow players do dramatically speed-up or skip animations. While in real-time games all animations have to play out normally. There is no reason the ToEE guys made a turn-based game animations as slow as the ones in RTwP games.
>This is not correct. In turn based systems you can allow players do dramatically speed-up or skip animations.
Does not apply to all Turn Based games. Two examples that don't allow you to speed up animations are Battle Brothers and Mordhiem: City of the Damned. Reason why I mention these two, is because they are the most recent tactical Turn Based games that I have played, and enjoyed immensely.

To expound upon my point from earlier, what I meant was Turn Based has to consider each individual turn and then make calculations within each subsequent round. Factors such as initiative are considered on an individual basis, and then calculated for each singular action. In contrast, Real Time facilitates the ability for each action to occur at the same time, in other words in synchronous. We can argue the idiosyncrasies between the two gameplay systems, however you can't refute the distinctions.

If I am in an encounter against 5 people. Turn Based will allow each action to occur serially. Where else in Real Time each action will occur in parallel to each other relative to initiative and other compounding factors.

Besides, if your skipping animations to get through an encounter, why not just play it in Real Time instead?

Last edited:
Stankmaker's got 99 problems, but RTwP ain't one of them.

What makes its RTwP so bad is how it's implemented. Healers for example are the most unresponsive I have EVER seen in any game. If you tell them to heal someone, first they will wait forever while their pseudo-turn comes up, then they will have a long-ass casting animation, then they will start walking toward the healing target (because for some fucking reason they have to stand right next to them), so by the time they actually heal, that target is already dead 9/10 times.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does not apply to all Turn Based games.

So? This is about principles. Turn based lets you easily speed up or even fully skip animations. A lot of games allow you to do that. Pump up that combat animation speed slider and watch enemy turns fly past like lightning.

Meanwhile RTwP tends to be stuck at its factory-set speed. NWN is incredibly slow, for example, with each "round" taking 6 seconds as per the D&D pen and paper rules. There is no speed slider there. It is painfully slow as you watch your character perform his action with a 1 second animation, then he stands there doing nothing for the next 5 seconds until the next "round" fires. RTwP often has a lot more downtime than turn based: the time between actions is time of characters standing still doing nothing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Stankmaker's got 99 problems, but RTwP ain't one of them.

What makes its RTwP so bad is how it's implemented. Healers for example are the most unresponsive I have EVER seen in any game. If you tell them to heal someone, first they will wait forever while their pseudo-turn comes up, then they will have a long-ass casting animation, then they will start walking toward the healing target (because for some fucking reason they have to stand right next to them), so by the time they actually heal, that target is already dead 9/10 times.
This just proves again you are bad at this game. When I played RTwP, my healers had AI off and were not doing anything until I told them to. That meant they when they needed to heal anyone, they didn't need to wait for any cooldowns but could start casting right away. And if you wanted it extra fast you gave them quicken rod and they would heal instantly.

This just proves again you are bad at this game. When I played RTwP, my healers had AI off and were not doing anything until I told them to. That meant they when they needed to heal anyone, they didn't need to wait for any cooldowns but could start casting right away. And if you wanted it extra fast you gave them quicken rod and they would heal instantly.

Good job fanboy. Let me see if I follow your train of thought correctly: If I disable a feature, gimp my characters, and use extra equipment, Shitmaker will work like other games work out of the box. :salute:

mondblut

Arcane
Has the Codexian Hive mind still not solved the puzzle ? Try focusing.

Most people here are not even trying. It's probably has something to do that Pathfinder takes his lore from tabletops.

I suspect that nobody really cares about their generic not-Forgotten-Realms setting full of stronky female protagonists wearing field plate burqas and borderline anime illustrations. Well, except for deuxhero I guess :lol:

I mean, I've been interested in fluff over crunch in tabletop for my whole life, but with PF the tendency has changed.

Deleted Member 16721

I love how you are all "this game is too difficult for PorkyTheGreat" while I am literally further into it than 99% of you on a higher difficulty setting. :smug:

Doesn't matter how far u got, u hated every step of the way because the game was kicking ur ass lol.

mondblut

Arcane
Besides, if your skipping animations to get through an encounter, why not just play it in Real Time instead?

Because you can't skip animations in real time, dummy.

Not to mention, speeding up animations in TB does not in any way deprive you of control. You are just skipping the downtime. All this flashy shit that looks teh awesome in trailers on youtube becomes insufferable within 5 minutes of actually playing a game.

S.torch

Arbiter
I suspect that nobody really cares about their generic not-Forgotten-Realms setting full of stronky female protagonists wearing field plate burqas and borderline anime illustrations. Well, except for deuxhero I guess :lol:

I don't disagree with you, but was just telling the guy the reason why people in the Codex don't have interest in resolving the puzzle. Though PF don't have anime illustrations at all, they use a very outdated and akward looking western style.

but with PF the tendency has changed.

Is not like the last version of DnD is any different.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So? This is about principles. Turn based lets you easily speed up or even fully skip animations. A lot of games allow you to do that. Pump up that combat animation speed slider and watch enemy turns fly past like lightning.

Meanwhile RTwP tends to be stuck at its factory-set speed. NWN is incredibly slow, for example, with each "round" taking 6 seconds as per the D&D pen and paper rules. There is no speed slider there. It is painfully slow as you watch your character perform his action with a 1 second animation, then he stands there doing nothing for the next 5 seconds until the next "round" fires. RTwP often has a lot more downtime than turn based: the time between actions is time of characters standing still doing nothing.

No reason you can't have a RTwP speed slider like Deadfire (although admittedly you can only make it so fast), but I think the speed issue misses the point. In theory, the thing RTwP can do better than TB is creating the frenetic feeling of a real time strategy game. But to really make that work, the developers need to lean into what most players hate about RTwP: that it's a messy, confusing clusterfuck. Something like NWN, a slow game where you only control two characters, defeats the purpose. Good RTwP should feel like juggling and nobody gets any satisfaction from juggling just two balls.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
don't allow you to speed up animations
Battle Brothers
What animation does this game have :lol:?
Enemy makes a move animation. Enemy makes an attack animation unique to the weapon he is using. Now multiple for each character on screen, and scale for quantity. Plus, you can't skip turns.
Here's an extreme example, I had to wait a minute until it was my fooking turn:
pBd1OXu.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom