Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Best RPGs from the crowdfunding era

Your three favorite crowdfunded games.

• Wasteland 2

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Pillars of Eternity

• Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Expeditions: Conquistador

• Expeditions: Viking

• Shadowrun Returns

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall

• Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• The Banner Saga

• The Banner Saga 2

• The Banner Saga 3

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• ATOM RPG

• Darkest Dungeon

• Grim Dawn

• Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

• Hard West

• Indivisible

• Lords of Xulima

• Insomnia: The Ark

• Serpent in the Staglands

• Unrest

• Legends of Eisenwald

• Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

• Dex

• Dead State

• Paper Sorcerer

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

• Underworld Ascendant (KC)

• Other

• Quest for Infamy

• Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements

• Star Traders: Frontiers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Let's have this poll now that the Kickstarter fad is over and most funded games got released already (sorry Wasteland 3). Hopefully I'm not forgetting any relevant title.

I'm including direct sequels to crowdfunded games (like Dragonfall), but not indie games that directly competed against them.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Now that I see all the games listed... damn, what a fucking mess this whole thing was. So much disappointment.

axedice

Cipher
Well Kickstarter gave us Kingmaker and Deliverance, so not all was a loss.

What I'd like to know is their effect on indie developers. Maybe Styg and Vault Dweller can enlighten us whether the reception to oldschool nostalgia increased their confidence and trust in the market.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
3 choices is tough.
Nothing absolutely stands out, the only one two i can't remove from my choices are QfI and ATOM.

My full list :
  1. Quest for Infamy
  2. ATOM
  3. DOS (i really enjoyed the first half, afterward it's a borefest, i hope the trap designer is taken hostage by the cartels and never work on a cRPG again)
  4. Wasteland 2 (very good combat system and map design, almost everything else is disappointing, particularly the retarded "tier" itemization)
  5. The Banner Saga (not sure it's a real cRPG, great interactive story)
  6. Expeditions Conquistadors
  7. Legends of Eisenwald
  8. Expeditions Vikings
  9. Dead State (Almost great, lacks interactions outside the base and lame zombie combat)
  10. Grimoire
  11. Lords of Xulima (Good ideas and bad ideas mixed together along with probable budget issues)
  12. Pathfinder Cuckmaker (alright but missed opportunity)

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Yes, come to think of it, it's kinda funny how most of the games I enjoyed the most in the past decade (Grimrock 2, Heroine's Quest, Voidpire Tactics, West of Loathing, Unexplored) have all been done without any crowdfunding. The two major exceptions are Xulima and Dragonfall, and even the latter can be argued not to be a properly crowdfunded game, in the sense that it didn't have a separate kickstarter and most of its development was funded by SRR's profits.
The list is missing Quest for Infamy and Mage's Initiation though. Not that anyone is going to vote for MI, but QfI was ok most of the time.

Atchodas

Augur
PFKM and DOS 1&2 stands tall above the rest of kickstarted shovelware

Then maybe Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall and Wasteland2 (this one was so bugged I still have ptsd)

Also I think its important to mention these 2 games :

Underrail
Age of Decadence

they were not Kickstarted but they were released in same era and are easily top 5 crpg games of last decade

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I wasn't expecting Dragonfall to be this popular, I just never gave it a chance since I found Returns to be awful.

The Expeditions games on the other hand are criminally underrated.

Not enough votes,fuck off!
C&C, bitch.

Ok, ok, those who want unlimited votes just
popamole.png
this post.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Shadowrun Returns - had the lowest expectations for that of all phase 1 KS campaigns, overdelivered - got a trilogy instead.

HBS needs to start making more.

:salute:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Haven't managed to finish Dragonfall yet. I've tried a few times but it just doesn't grab me hard enough.

Danikas

Arcane
Shadowrun Returns - had the lowest expectations for that of all phase 1 KS campaigns, overdelivered - got a trilogy instead.

HBS needs to start making more.

:salute:
It felt like a mobile game, didnt enjoy it that much. My pick is Kingdom Come: Deliverance just because it had high production values for a kickstarter project, hope we will get more games like this.

Danikas

Arcane
My pick is Kingdom Come: Deliverance just because it had high production values for a kickstarter project
KCD got slightly over $1 mil on kickstarter out of its $36 mil budget. In all honesty, it just shouldn't be on this list.
Heh that explains why it stands out so much from other games on the list. In that case I would choose Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh. I've only played three games from this list, and two of those sucked. Of the rest, there are only four or five I'd like to get to eventually. Non-crowdfunded indies have inherited the earth, apparently.

Turuko

Learned
I like more than 3 from the list so I'm gonna go with the ones i backed even if they're not my favourites

Exp.Vikings
Grim Dawn
Wasteland 2

Like another pissant on here said, Grimoire is really in it's own category. And it is. I feel HBS' Shadowrun titles were bloody works of art, especially Dragonfall, which was a borderline masterpiece. HBS needs to get back to doing proper RPGs and enough with the Battletech horseshit.

SniperHF

Arcane
Legends of Eisenwald is seriously underrated.

I liked Eisenwald but I got really tired of the campaign going all and now you reset back to zero on the new map stuff.

IMO it would have been better with say 4-5 good smaller campaigns than one long kinda crap story mode.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I've yet to play Serpent in the Staglands which I would like to since it definitely interests me.

But as of now...

GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Honorable mention: Dragonfall, Grim Dawn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom