Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An army of Vampires, Pirates, Snakes and Devilfish, oh my!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: King's Bounty: The Legend

Ascaron, makers of Sacred, <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkklFEkuFFgnkkjEhV.php">have officially announced the release date of their next slightly RPG-related thing</a>. ALL-CAPS IS FUN:
<br>
<blockquote>KING’S BOUNTY: THE LEGEND ANNOUNCED FOR EARLY 2009 RELEASE
<br>
<br>
LEAD AN ARMY OF VAMPIRES, PIRATES, SNAKES AND DEVILFISH TO BECOME A HERO¹ AND SERVE YOUR KING
<br>
<br>
King’s Bounty: The Legend, a knight saga that blends role-playing adventure and battle strategy in a fantasy land, will be released next year by Ascaron Entertainment and Nobilis. Players must become heroes and travel in real-time with their army across a huge continent, completing missions such as leading revolutions, overthrowing evil tyrants, slaying dragons and taking part in strategic battles to stop those with plans for world domination.</blockquote>
<br>
"Blends role-playing adventure and battle strategy". And the world moves one step closer to the first RTSFPSMMORPG4XHackandSlashRoguelike.
<br>
<br>
¹They mean "An Hero" surely.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Prestigous Game Banshee Magazine</a>

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I thought it was already out. It's a good game, and I'm pretty sure it's not by the makers of Sacred.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Re: An army of Vampires, Pirates, Snakes and Devilfish, oh m

DarkUnderlord said:

It goes by personal pronunciation. If you have a tendancy to drop the h or soften it dramatically, then it's "an", if you don't go with "a".
A hero
An 'ero
The only one I've ever seen that seems to be acceptable with "an" and the empasis on the consonant is "an historic", I'm not sure why.

Xerxos

Novice
Jaime Lannister said:
I thought it was already out. It's a good game, and I'm pretty sure it's not by the makers of Sacred.

King's Bounty: The Legend European Release Date

It's out already (I'm halfway though)

coaster

Liturgist
Bought the downloaded version from Gamersgate. Haven't got very far into it yet, but the TB combat is fun and the gameworld is colourful & interesting with lots to explore.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bit puzzling as it was released in Europe in November. It seems to be for the UK version but even that's weird because the EU DVD I got has the English, French, German and Spanish versions of the game ( I play in English).

[Jez]

Novice
Vampires, Pirates, Snakes and Devilfish is a shitty army

Seboss

Liturgist
[Jez] said:
Indeed.

This said, I'm currently playing a lvl 15 paladin and I've hardly used anything but the human units (Inquisitors, Archers, Guardmens, Archmages and Horsemen), except when some of them were depleted (had some fun with alchemists and cannoneers and that's about it).

Anyone could recommend some nice army builds?

Bluebottle said:
DarkUnderlord said:

It goes by personal pronunciation. If you have a tendancy to drop the h or soften it dramatically, then it's "an", if you don't go with "a".
A hero
An 'ero
The only one I've ever seen that seems to be acceptable with "an" and the empasis on the consonant is "an historic", I'm not sure why.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/An_hero

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
I love how they avoided mentioning TB combat... and Katauri.
Yeah. Bastards.

I'm curious how the Nintendo DS version will turn out.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Seboss said:
[Jez] said:
Indeed.

This said, I'm currently playing a lvl 15 paladin and I've hardly used anything but the human units (Inquisitors, Archers, Guardmens, Archmages and Horsemen), except when some of them were depleted (had some fun with alchemists and cannoneers and that's about it).

Royal Snakes will get you a looooooong way. I didn't replace them till I had access to Dragons and Horsemen.

The other nice trick in the game is Hypnotize and Sacrifice. Hypnotize an enemy stack, and Sacrifice them to add units to one of your stacks.

The game is honestly really great, but
the Dragon Labyrinth later on is a real pain in the ass.

I eagerly await the sequel.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Anthony Davis will now be writing the Codex review of this game.

Oarfish

Prophet
Royal snakes are little blue owning machines, no retaliate and damn good stats. You should rush for necromancers as soon as you get to the elven lands, their raise dead ability and high initiative is very handy. You can often knock down a stack with a spell/spirit combo and animate it before their first move. Royal thorns are pretty good too, as you can spit out hundreds of thorn warriors / hunters to sacrifice. They do tend to get targeted by the AI though.

Black

Arcane
Seboss said:
Succubi or w/e they're called with the unique ring that gives +++morale, initiative and other stat bonuses for female units + demoness wifu is great combination.

Although, a demoness as your wifu is nice enough already, eh?

bgillisp

Scholar
I started this game last weekend, and am currently a lvl 10 Mage. Been doing pretty good with just the human armies + a high powered fire storm spell, though I had a lot of fun with Orc Shamans in the 2nd region of the game. My normal army right now is Archers, Peasants (they hit hard when you got 800 of them), Archmages, Swordsmen and Ancient Bears (ancient bears are the cannon fodder troop, I use the swordsmen and peasants to protect the shooters). Seems to be working so far, though I'm going to run out of bears soon and will need to replace them with something else.

Seboss

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
Royal Snakes will get you a looooooong way. I didn't replace them till I had access to Dragons and Horsemen.
Tried out Swamp Snakes for a while in the early part of the game but quickly gave up on them because they're pretty scarce and the AI like to target them a lot (even more than archers and archmages).
As for Royal Snakes, I've yet to find a place where I can recruit them from. Heck, I still even have the Rare Animals quest in my questbook (provide 50 lake dragonflies, 10 royal snakes a 1 cyclop).
Besides, I got horsemen a while ago and haven't found any dragons yet.
It seems the available troops are heavily randomized from one to game to another.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Shamans - they're tough, hit hard (also with their magical axes) and can place totem poles which distract enemy units.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Seboss said:
Anthony Davis said:
Tried out Swamp Snakes for a while in the early part of the game but quickly gave up on them because they're pretty scarce and the AI like to target them a lot (even more than archers and archmages).
As for Royal Snakes, I've yet to find a place where I can recruit them from. Heck, I still even have the Rare Animals quest in my questbook (provide 50 lake dragonflies, 10 royal snakes a 1 cyclop).
Besides, I got horsemen a while ago and haven't found any dragons yet.
It seems the available troops are heavily randomized from one to game to another.

Recruitable Monster Spawns are 'sort of' random. The very first game I played I could not get a decent amount of Royal Snakes - hence the Hypnotize/Sacrifice trick.

Every game since then I have been pretty lucky in finding Royal Snakes.

As far as Dragons go, I am really torn. Black Dragons are great, but you can't buff or ressurect them

Green Dragons have great melee and they can give you Mana.

Red Dragons are like slightly weaker Black Dragons.

Red and Black Dragons BOTH have problems with Demons.

The above advice about Sucubi + the ring that gives +3 to everything for female fighters, including morale - is dead on truth. Finding other female fighters that don't conflict morally is a real challenge though.

Paladins are also the lose except for on very tough difficulty levels where money and units are short.

Mages are easy mode.

Warriors have it kind of tough, their only ace in the hole is the rage chest but it doesn't get 'great' till you get the ice chick and Death.

Seboss

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
Recruitable Monster Spawns are 'sort of' random. The very first game I played I could not get a decent amount of Royal Snakes - hence the Hypnotize/Sacrifice trick.
Same with spells it seems. Never encountered the two spells you mentioned yet.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Seboss said:
Anthony Davis said:
Same with spells it seems. Never encountered the two spells you mentioned yet.

Completing the Rare Animals quest will give them to you for sure....I think. Also, you can complete that quest piece meal too, which I highly suggest.

Psycroptic

Liturgist

Bluebottle said:
DarkUnderlord said:

A hero
An 'ero

The h in historic is silent. But you have to be some sort of blue-blood to pronounce it that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom