Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Is Shadowrun Hong Kong worth it?

S.torch

Arbiter
So I just ended Shadowrun: Dragonfall, the combat was nice enough, but like a good storybro that I am, the story was good enough to follow it all the way to the end.

So for all I know, Shadowrun: Hong Kong is the next one in the series, it is worth a shot? the story is on the same level than Dragonfall?

Vatnik Wumao
It has a quite strong character cast in terms of companions and the worldbuilding is pretty neat. You should definitely check it out, but be warned in advance that the NPC chatting at the home hub in-between runs is much more spammy this time around.

Also, without spoiling anything, do be consistent about talking to the NPC in the magic shop or whatever.

It's the weakest of the 3, but worth playing once.
First is weakest and most barebones.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Hong Kong is worth it just for Racter companion, comrade.

Npc_humanmale_racter.png

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has a quite strong character cast in terms of companions and the worldbuilding is pretty neat. You should definitely check it out, but be warned in advance that the NPC chatting at the home hub in-between runs is much more spammy this time around.

Also, without spoiling anything, do be consistent about talking to the NPC in the magic shop or whatever.

First is weakest and most barebones.
I liked the first one. The ending was a real kick to the balls. You fight otherworldly monsters while also saving the world. Only to have a big corporation either offer you a job, or tell you to kindly fuck off.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The combat is overall easier than Dragonfall but the plot, characters, and setting are more interesting, IMO.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd argue the very first is the weakest on the basis that it is the least refined.

I understand the events of the first game are cannon, but the change of pacing from low key, detective cyberpunk to fighting interdimensional monsters is jarring, in Hong Kong something in the same vein happens but it's less jarring as it's foreshadowed, and the game is definitely more refined. Perhaps it's seen as weak since its the same thing 3rd time round.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Shadowrun Returns was pretty good storyline wise... up to when you solve the Emerald Ripper case. Then it takes a sudden turn into fighting an evil insect cult or some shit for the good of the world.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
So I just ended Shadowrun: Dragonfall, the combat was nice enough, but like a good storybro that I am, the story was good enough to follow it all the way to the end.

So for all I know, Shadowrun: Hong Kong is the next one in the series, it is worth a shot? the story is on the same level than Dragonfall?
As others have said, weakest of the tree. Main storyline/writing is bad (IMO), but some of the NPCs are nice. Some portion are frustrating and it seemed (in my mind, I have no empiral data for this) to have less C&C and "fluidity" of skill usage in mission than both the two others (even though the first had less than Dragonfall). I suggest running the first one instead. But if you REALLY like it, why not ? Wait for it to be on sale or something. Overall, having played all of them multiple times, my conclusion is this: Dragonfall > 1st one > Hong Kong

S.torch

Arbiter
It has a quite strong character cast in terms of companions and the worldbuilding is pretty neat.
The combat is overall easier than Dragonfall but the plot, characters, and setting are more interesting, IMO.

No problem with the combat, these things that you mention like characters and plot is what interest me. If you said they're better than Dragonfall, I feel the need to play it.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Actually I think of Honk--Honk as a strongest of three.

Still linear tactics crap disqused as RPG, but story and art direction was good.

Didn't finish though, went to the war with Deadfire, from which I shall never fully recover.

Vatnik Wumao
I'd say that DF nailed the shadowrunner experience better, but HK overall has better worldbuilding and gameplay & story integration (the quest in Whampoa being a shining example of that).

I think that focusing too much on the Yama Kings alienated a significant part of the playerbase, especially coupled with the amount of purple prose pertaining to it. That aside, the story hook with the whole family subplot was also quite mediocre.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Yes, it's worth playing, but I wouldn't play it immediately if you just finished Dragonfall. It's too similar despite the differences. Play something else first and then come back to it.

Xeon

Augur
Dragonfall has the better combat, Hong Kong offers you the option to do almost all quests using your skills so you can pretty much avoid most combat in the game if you have appropriate party members and skills iirc.

Gord

Arcane
Overall Dragonfall was the better game in terms of story and having some missions that stood out more. Hong Kong isn't bad though, but a somewhat different setting and while the missions in general are varied, they are missing some really memorable ones.
I was a bit let down by HBS not improving the matrix more (despite it being one of their goals). It does offer some new mechanics, but imo Blitz' personal quest from Dragonfall had the best gameplay there. SRHK's matrix felt like a step back again.
As for the wall-of-text-NPCs - it's worth mentioning that most of them can be ignored completely. The only ones that are really important are your companions and the bookstore-lady (that one is tied into the main quest, so talk to her regularly even if you don't have a caster for MC).
In contrast, the non-vendor NPCs in the hub in particular just offer (lots of) flavor text. If you don't like to read random stories from the Shadowrun-universe, just ignore them.

Falksi

Arcane
Dragonfall>Returns>Hong Kong

I loved the first 2, found Hong Kong WAY too dull & text spammy to stay interested. It just goes on, and on, and on without you really doing much half the time.

Vatnik Wumao
Returns is basically the gameplay skeleton upon which DF and HK were built. Both of the latter have their flaws, but at least they're fully fleshed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom