Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Is Shadowrun Hong Kong worth it?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
talking to the NPC in the magic shop or whatever.
I am very surprised that many people didn't get that one. I thought that everyone got that ending. People are strange.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is with all the retards on the codex that get spasm when they see words on the screen? Oh no,the horrors of RPG having actually writing in it!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is with all the retards on the codex that get spasm when they see words on the screen? Oh no,the horrors of RPG having actually writing in it!
There's a pacing to these things and mining dialogue from the same group of NPCs in-between every mission gets frustrating.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's a pacing to these things and mining dialogue from the same group of NPCs in-between every mission gets frustrating.
Not really,you npc dialogue depending on the missions,some were pretty interesting...or are you talking about the companions too?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not really,you npc dialogue depending on the missions,some were pretty interesting...or are you talking about the companions too?
I'm talking about talking to every shopkeeper, companion, and checking out the computer every time you come back to the hub. It's exhausting reading all of them even if you're interested in what they're saying.

It also doesn't help matters any that the first few missions you can take can be played as pure walk-and-talkies.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I'm talking about talking to every shopkeeper, companion, and checking out the computer every time you come back to the hub. It's exhausting reading all of them even if you're interested in what they're saying.

It also doesn't help matters any that the first few missions you can take can be played as pure walk-and-talkies.
If you do all the missions and talk to everyone between them you will also exhaust everyone's dialogue well before the final mission. Which further proves it's a pacing issue.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you do all the missions and talk to everyone between them you will also exhaust everyone's dialogue well before the final mission. Which further proves it's a pacing issue.
I consider that a good thing since it means you don't have to do every mission and also if you accidentally miss one, you can make up for it. I suspect they did that on purpose.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I consider that a good thing since it means you don't have to do every mission and also if you accidentally miss one, you can make up for it. I suspect they did that on purpose.
Maybe, I think a better method would have been if the conversations were dependent upon other triggers in the game such as specific story points being hit or so. It would also help to reduce the text dumps by about a quarter.

Lios

Cipher
TL;DR: the game. Aside from that, it's good and you should play it if you enjoyed Dragonfall.
Oh and the new matrix is total shit in my opinion. Even the SNES Shadowrun minesweeper-matrix was better.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Honestly don't get why people complain about the amount of text in HK, it didn't feel like there was that much IMO. And I'm speaking as someone who's usually very ADHD about these things.

V_K

Arcane
Honestly don't get why people complain about the amount of text in HK, it didn't feel like there was that much IMO. And I'm speaking as someone who's usually very ADHD about these things.
Well, try being OCD about these things, and you'll see why

Atchodas

Augur
Have you played Returns and Dragonfall ?

Do you still want more of Shadowrun ?

If answer to both questions is yes then go ahead and play Hong Kong

I personally had enough of shadow run from playing first two games over and over again

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh and the new matrix is total shit in my opinion. Even the SNES Shadowrun minesweeper-matrix was better.

The expansion improves it by providing you with clear safe stop-and-observe points, but yeah, adding in realtime gameplay into a turn based game was an absurdly bad decision.

It is somewhat wordier
https://steamcommunity.com/app/346940/discussions/0/412449508283774138/
Dead Man's Switch: ~78,000 words
Dragonfall Director's Cut: ~330,000 words
Shadowrun Hong Kong: ~443,000 words
Shadows of Hong Kong: ~154,000 words

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What needs to be done is companion dialogue and quests being dependent on whether you take them on missions or not. It makes no sense for them to splurge all their most intimate fears and memories when they don't even know you and you neglect taking them on missions. That would cut down considerably on the dialogue and it would make more sense. There's also the misconception devs have that when people say they like writing/stories in games it means they want more of it. A good story isn't told with a set amount of words. D:OS2 has more words than the Bible, but it's nowhere near as good as the Bible and most of it is superfluous verbiage. The more text you have, the easier it is for it to turn into a word salad that doesn't mean anything.

As for whether Hong Kong is worth it, I played Hong Kong before I played Dragonfall and I enjoyed it well enough, and think it was the better decision than playing them how they were released. However, even though Dragonfall is marginally better, it's not SOOOOOOO MUCH better that it invalidates a Hong Kong playthrough. All of the nu-Shadowruns are ok, some are of higher quality than others, but essentially fine.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing that serves no purpose in a RPG is a problem. You are not here to get each character to tell you how hard is life is.
There is literally 0 actionable piece of information you get from all the NPC except the magic vendor (and this one triggers more options, but reading the words doesn't help much).

Vatnik Wumao
What needs to be done is companion dialogue and quests being dependent on whether you take them on missions or not. It makes no sense for them to splurge all their most intimate fears and memories when they don't even know you and you neglect taking them on missions. That would cut down considerably on the dialogue and it would make more sense.
While I mirror your sentiment, the main problem with HK was in regards to hub NPCs that were neither companions nor quest givers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That round-'em-up was terrible, it's better for them to approach you when the story deems it necessary. I know why they did it, it's an attempt to characterize the hub and make you care about it, but the execution was awful.

huskarls

Scholar
bros, we been over this. campfire team talks about feelings are GAY. And they want me to get gay with vendors too, this is a double no-no. The filthy immersion and companion exposition should be terse and during gameplay, I don't want to read an essay by an intern with purple hair about how the devil raped their orphanage in a social sim for autists

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Sure,if you add up everything i would agree with you,there quite a lot of talking,but that was in dragonfall too. I didn't find it as negative or a chore. Sure you could burn out if you play it in sitting,but i did enjoy it playing it by doing a few missions every day. The game was not as good as dragonfall but still a very good game worth playing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What needs to be done is companion dialogue and quests being dependent on whether you take them on missions or not. It makes no sense for them to splurge all their most intimate fears and memories when they don't even know you and you neglect taking them on missions. That would cut down considerably on the dialogue and it would make more sense.

Don't agree with this at all, I like being able to talk to all companions, even ones I'm not using, in every game. Additionally, this is done to some extent; a companion in HK will only have something to say about the previous mission if they were on it. And as mentioned, the companions aren't the issue here, it's the shopkeepers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can technically talk to them, they just won't reveal their secrets or give you their quests if you don't actually take them with you in the party.

Vatnik Wumao
Don't agree with this at all, I like being able to talk to all companions, even ones I'm not using, in every game.
And lets not forget that in many RPGs, especially on higher difficulties, you might not be able to take a companion with you simply because of your party's composition, even if you might prefer him thematically or in terms of writing quality.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Don't agree with this at all, I like being able to talk to all companions, even ones I'm not using, in every game. Additionally, this is done to some extent; a companion in HK will only have something to say about the previous mission if they were on it. And as mentioned, the companions aren't the issue here, it's the shopkeepers.
But you had to talk to the shopkeeper a lot less than in dragonfall. The only important one was the magic one and the hacking one for a few certain missions. Which was pretty obvious by the setting. I don't get how people missed the whole magic shop thing. It is fucking obvious by the whole setting that magic shit is at hand and makes sense to talk to the chick lol,after she tells you about the yama kings it makes sense to keep on talking to her. DragonFall had a lot more talking with shopkeepers,maybe people are mixing it?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't agree with this at all, I like being able to talk to all companions, even ones I'm not using, in every game.
And lets not forget that in many RPGs, especially on higher difficulties, you might not be able to take a companion with you simply because of your party's composition, even if you might prefer him thematically or in terms of writing quality.
Unless you are chad bulgar and take only people that you like :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Writing that serves no purpose in a RPG is a problem. You are not here to get each character to tell you how hard is life is.
There is literally 0 actionable piece of information you get from all the NPC except the magic vendor (and this one triggers more options, but reading the words doesn't help much).
And all that could be ignored,no need to read their life story,on a replay i did just that. Also rpg writing is about telling a story,no about giving you information in spreadsheet format.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom