Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Prime Junta

Picked up Untitled Goose Game. It's legit hilarious. Don't remember when I've had this much fun being a complete asshole.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just like that the entire weekend went into soul calibur 6. Having fun with the rpg mode, though some of the conditional fights are really pushing it.

Swigen

Arbiter
I’ve got like 60 hours each in Persona 5, Trails in the Sky SC, and ELEX. I’m trying to make a push to close ‘em all out but they just keep fucken going. ELEX... Jesus fuck! I need how much CUNNING in order acquire 6th Sense to wear Captain armor? GAWD, I don’t even need Sixth Sense, I already get it from my glasses FFS!

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The Long Dark. I keep going back to that one. It's hard, depressing, and devours you with loneliness. And here I thought we played games for escapism.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Beat that Far Cry on Challening. Still one of the most difficult shooters of the modern day, not only because of good reasons. Hilarious/frustrating AI -split 7" EP made my day several times every time I booted this up. 4/5 game at least and an essential part of my childhood.

Puukko

Arcane
I’ve got like 60 hours each in Persona 5, Trails in the Sky SC, and ELEX. I’m trying to make a push to close ‘em all out but they just keep fucken going. ELEX... Jesus fuck! I need how much CUNNING in order acquire 6th Sense to wear Captain armor? GAWD, I don’t even need Sixth Sense, I already get it from my glasses FFS!

Persona 5 goes on and on yet it feels like you don't got much back for that time investment. Which palace are you at?

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Solomon's Key 2 (Fire n' Ice) - Really good nes puzzle game. I got stuck in 5-5 for 10 minutes, read the news, got back, and solved it in 30 seconds. Very satisfying.

Couple more roguelikes from 7DLR 2019:

HackAttack - At it's core it's a standard roguelike - go down and kill enemies. The gimmick is that you can collect moves (go down, attack right) and use an editor to chain them together as you wish, for a maximum of three. So while the enemy can move only one tile, you can move up to three in a row. Those special moves serve as your spells, and naturally they cost mana, which regenerates after a couple of turns. I can see how the game could be fun, but in practice this design isn't. The first few levels are dedicated to killings easy monsters to hoard moves, and only than the game begins, and potentially ends very very fast. So you have to grind quite a lot just to start the game. The moves you collect also aren't that interesting, there's nothing too interesting about moving two times right and attacking up. More unique moves are needed to create creative thinking (move all the way right, switch positions).
An expanded moveset would make the game really interesting, but right now it's too bare bones (it was made in seven days, so that's not a complaint in any way).
For a game made in seven days it is surprisingly polished. The editor was easy to use and understand, and it's the sort of advanced features I expect most games to mess up.

Ars Moriendi - A roguelike where winning is easy, but the challenge is to find all possible ways to die, including healing potion overdose and self stoning. Perfect idea for a short game. I don't think I ever encountered a roguelike that unlocks new content this way, and this seems like a nice way of doing it.

Octarine, Pocket Dimensions RL - it's ok.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Decided to return to Age of Wonders, the first one.
Just reached the Lizardmen part in cult of storms campaign, they're are fun to play as.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started dabbling with StarCrawlers, second blobber I've played, the first being Rance VI (I think it counts as a blobber).

I like the presentation, not sure about the progression system. Being able to use custom pictures for your characters is a nice touch.

55B66DFD0304F7B35E72E8F15A16092723768418

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Hi Ho, The Mario!
Living in the barrio!
He don't know what he don't know.
Hi Ho, The Mario.

Just finished Bard's Tale 4 on game journalist mode (Easy battles, skipable puzzles, etc)

Well, I say finished, but I only did 1/3 of the last dungeon before watching a walkthrough of the endng.

Game was OK, I guess. Nothing to write home about.

I tried the puzzles, even completed some. But most were obscure busy work I'm glad I had the option to skip. (The rotating fire things come to mind especially).

All my gear was better than any fully solved Elven weapon...didn't see the point in those either.

A pretty generic experience.

Zep--

Swigen

Arbiter

Persona 5 goes on and on yet it feels like you don't got much back for that time investment. Which palace are you at?

Just started Futaba’s. I’ve been playing just a little at a time since it came out so it’s not like a slog for me, more like watching a series over time instead of binge watching over the weekend, but there’s just so many other games I wanna play. I’ve been taking my time grinding mementos and building a relationship with that milf teacher cuz someone here said you get to see her in a bathing suit if you max her out before August or some shit.

Swigen

Arbiter
“Weakened” Albs my ass... Fucken gaem shoulda been called “how can I cheese every goddamn encounter”.

Dramart

Learned
Tomb Raider 2013 (the first reboot of the series). I only played one other Tomb Raider in my life many years ago and it was a milestone in my gaming existence as the first DirectX/3D title I played going right from DOS with my first true 3D accelerator graphics card (Stealth II). It was Tomb Raider 2 and I remember being frustrated as fuck because it had these HUGE, sprawling puzzle oriented levels with absolutely no hand-holding and very little combat. I never played another in the franchise until now. TR 2013 has precisely the opposite problem - massive hand-holding and too fucking much combat. It is also quite linear with out of the way side missions (tombs) being optional. But it has a moderately interesting presentation that keeps you on your toes if you can tolerate ridiculous respawning enemies (one respawned right in front of me) and that you're basically watching an interactive movie (Hi SquareSoft!).

I have to break my habit of automatically assuming that since most of these modern games were designed for consoletards it can't possibly be that difficult to an advanced, sophisticated PC gamer like myself. So I selected "hard" difficulty right off the bat, expecting a breeze. Bad idea. Hard difficulty rewards you with not only waves and waves of more respawning enemies, but ones with hit point bloat. Artificial difficulty up the ass. After I finish this I will probably never play another Tomb Raider game as long as I live.

You don't make sense. You don't like that the game has a lot of enmies, but you also dislike it because it has a lot of scenes. Also, I don't think the hardest difficulty has more enemies, you just die faster. The amount of enemies was okay, they should have been more.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Tomb Raider 2013 (the first reboot of the series). I only played one other Tomb Raider in my life many years ago and it was a milestone in my gaming existence as the first DirectX/3D title I played going right from DOS with my first true 3D accelerator graphics card (Stealth II). It was Tomb Raider 2 and I remember being frustrated as fuck because it had these HUGE, sprawling puzzle oriented levels with absolutely no hand-holding and very little combat. I never played another in the franchise until now. TR 2013 has precisely the opposite problem - massive hand-holding and too fucking much combat. It is also quite linear with out of the way side missions (tombs) being optional. But it has a moderately interesting presentation that keeps you on your toes if you can tolerate ridiculous respawning enemies (one respawned right in front of me) and that you're basically watching an interactive movie (Hi SquareSoft!).

I have to break my habit of automatically assuming that since most of these modern games were designed for consoletards it can't possibly be that difficult to an advanced, sophisticated PC gamer like myself. So I selected "hard" difficulty right off the bat, expecting a breeze. Bad idea. Hard difficulty rewards you with not only waves and waves of more respawning enemies, but ones with hit point bloat. Artificial difficulty up the ass. After I finish this I will probably never play another Tomb Raider game as long as I live.

You don't make sense. You don't like that the game has a lot of enmies, but you also dislike it because it has a lot of scenes. Also, I don't think the hardest difficulty has more enemies, you just die faster. The amount of enemies was okay, they should have been more.

Wrong. There ARE more enemies at higher difficulties. In one tough area, I counted them myself on both normal and hard difficulties.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Playing ToEE first time having a blast.
It's amazing how they achieved porting the DnD combat system so accurately into a computer game.
Really weird how that didn't catch on.

curds

Magister
Dividing my time between Fallout, HoMM 2, Quake II and Fantasy General. Having a hard time sticking with one game at the moment, usually I pick one game and don't play anything else until I finish or get bored with it.

4th-or-5th playthrough of Fallout I think. Not much to be said about it that hasn't already been said on this site. Found a few things I haven't seen before, so that's nice. For example I never bothered to explore Boneyard before.

HoMM 2 is great, can see myself getting really addicted to this one. Sat down to play a couple of turns today and ended up playing for about two hours. Only ever played HoMM 3 before.

Third attempt at playing through Quake II. Always end up getting bored of this one, but I really want to see it through to the end because I love id's pre-Q2 work. But this game is just nowhere near as good as Quake 1, Doom/II or even Wolf3d.

Fantasy General seems like it could be a lot of fun. No idea what I'm doing though, need to RTFM with this one I think. Chose the Knight as my hero which I think was a bad choice, will probably restart as the Mage or Summoner.

Going to start either Diablo or (more likely) Might & Magic VI when I finish Fallout (probably tomorrow). And the Doom 64 PC port announcement has inspired my to replay Doom 64 EX.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Wanted to waste my time with shovelware. Also replayed all FEAR games plus expansions up until Fear 2 Reborn, but putting into writing a good evaluation of FEAR 1+2 would require a wall of text beyond belief. So, with shovelware we go.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: It's a AoE2 mod. And I rediscovered that single player AoE2 gameplay isn't good enough to keep anyone interested for long. It's also lovable how mod-like and primitive everything feels (space age civilizations have rams, they felt the need to have an entire Naboo faction for Gods-know-what-reason).

Then went for a 2000AD binge. Because sometimes you have to reconnect with your inner teen.

Judge Dredd: Dredd VS Death: it's a cheap console shooter. Mechanically very simple, level design is basic. The only saving grace is that it feels like a very faithful 2000AD adaptation, a lot of love in the details (you can judge people on the fly and the like, gang members can surrender if you kill the big 'uns or scare them, they managed to get a completely functional Lawgiver with all six types of rounds). Then you realize the Judge mechanics are very limited and you can sorta ignore them, and that even the Lawgiver is completely killed by the fact that the basic rounds are the most ammo-effective. Why should I bother with explosive rounds or heat seeking if headshotting people works fine?

It's a good timewaster. 6/10, points for effort.

Rogue Trooper: I replayed it after years, this time with critical thinking. This one's weird. Third person. There's again so much loyalty to the comics, and it means that you have a frankly amazing amount of variety and abilities to use. Standard weaponry. Mortar. Lighting Gun. A great sniper rifle. Four different grenades. Quick-deploying mines. Deployable gun turret. Holographic projections to misdirect enemies. Baits. Silencer. Working stealth mechanics. Cover mechanics.

They built all of this, and then of course realized they had to put this on consoles and the level design and enemy AI can't follow you, so you pretty much have to play suboptimally to use all the deluge of toys the give you, because sniping everything is the optimal choice 99% of the time.

Weird game, but not bad. I'd recommend if you want to waste a couple of evenings in a very detailed if flawed sci-fi action game, and of course if you like old 2000AD comics. Got a remaster, but didn't bother. Also, all the two female characters in the game are .... well,

2B511D3D272050CEFBF196469D7EE3A27169CEDD

Q8iQZJg.jpg

Someone truly liked military, muscular tiddies. Nothing wrong with that, God bless their British souls.

blurbo

Novice
Uncharted 4 - it's a combination of 3 things:

1) walking simulator with stunning visuals + climbing mini-game where you just repeatedly press the jump button to get over obstacles. halfway through you get a pick which you can stick into otherwise unclimbable surfaces - would make for a nice mechanics were its use not so obvious and the exploration so unbelievably linear.

2) stealth setpiece - they can't spot you if you're in the grass (there's grass everywhere)/hanging from ledges, again very simple business. can turn into 3) if you fuck it up

3) action setpiece - can be fun on high difficulty. stick your head out for more than 2 secs and you're dead, stay behind cover for too long and they toss grenades to lure you out, later on you have heavy armored guys coming after you and they can only be killed by explosives/headshot after you took their helmet off. when you run out of ammo you're forced to pick up the nearest weapon, use your shitty pistol or melee the nearest guy etc.

all of which could be considered good gameplay - but a) most of the action maps are small and linear b) even when they're not (and it's only a couple), the challenge is trivialized by mid-battle checkpoints. Anyways 3) is what the whole game should have been about, but then one wouldn't have had the deeply immersive cinematic experience with 4h of cutscenes I guess

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rogue Trooper: Weird game, but not bad. I'd recommend if you want to waste a couple of evenings in a very detailed if flawed sci-fi action game, and of course if you like old 2000AD comics. Got a remaster, but didn't bother. Also, all the two female characters in the game are .... well,

2B511D3D272050CEFBF196469D7EE3A27169CEDD

Q8iQZJg.jpg

Skip to 1:21:50, then look at that screenshot again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom