Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why so little love for Nethack?

This game barely gets mentioned here, never makes it on the top RPG lists.

And yet it is without a doubt one of the greatest RPGs ever made, and with the Vulture 2D graphical interface (the whole package available on Steam for like $3), there is no "I don't play ASCII" excuse.

This game, if you don't look up online hints/guides, can take many, many years to play through, as you uncover its secrets, and understand how everything works. I've been playing it on and off for years (close to a decade), and the furthest I've gotten is level 29 out of the 50 floors in the main dungeon.

The combination of intelligent gameplay and the thrill of discovering awesome loot, leveling up your character, and learning new shit makes this game the thinking man's Diablo (which I believe was sorta based on it in the beginning).

So, Codex, what's your excuse?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341390/Vulture_for_NetHack/

Max Damage

Savant
I like the game (and its Dynahack fanmake), but I'm not good enough at the game yet to discuss it in details. There's a lot of stuff and depth, indeed.

Martyr

Arcane
in the past I've played Nethack for years and years. beat it a couple of times, died a billion times.
then I stopped playing it in 2014 I think, after trying the Vulture's Eye mod (which I disliked back then). I've actually got it installed right now, with Vulture's Eye. maybe I'll be playing it again, soon. anyway, the OP is right, awesome game!

Thal

Augur
Nethack is a game come back to year after year. I've ascended every class, done wishless, genoless and polyless conducts. I've dabbled with SLASH'EM so as to get something new, but haven't really gotten into it yet. I think many people see roguelikes as a genre of their own instead of being crpgs, which is probably the reason why it doesn't make it to best of lists.

Don't read spoilers if you want to keep the magic alive.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Yeah, I have yet to play it. I thought I was playing it on iPad but I guess it’s a knockoff called iNethack 2. Don’t know how similar it is but imma get the real PC one in light of the recent 3.6.3 update. Fucken love rogue-likes and have been meaning to see if I can’t find any Diablo mods that make Diablo even more Roguey.

Gibson

Learned
So, Codex, what's your excuse?

it's in the category of "just not my thing" - no special reason or hating on them but I just don't like/play Rogue-likes.
The same as MMORPGs, Counter Strike and a ton of other games that are simply not on my radar.

still, wish you all to have a good time with them. :salute:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Played a lot of Crawl back in the day. Nethack not so much.

Have had vulture on my wishlist for almost 3 years now. Someday.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I just played adom because a few friends played that and got me into playing that too. Nobody really played nethack for some reason, and while I was aware of it, it took me years to just beat adom and I never really tried nethack at all.

Gord

Arcane
I've played DCSS on and off for a couple of years, but I always lose interest after a couple of (failed) runs. Guess I just don't want to bother with properly learning these game and their systems.

index.php

Arcane
there is no "I don't play ASCII" excuse.

The official (and free) version also has some great tilesets. These two are my favorites:

DawnHack:
https://www.deviantart.com/dragondeplatino/art/DawnHack-NetHack-3-6-1-UnNetHack-5-1-0-416312313
3T1aUyj.png

Nevanda:
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/File:Nevanda.png
mM57tQE.png

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ASCII is great, and of course better than any tileset ever could be, but otherwise Porky's post is something I can agree with 100%.

Nethack is a great game!

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what reasons there are to get into Nethack instead of say ADOM? I've thinked about moving on from ToME and ADOM seems like the most interesting option.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I enjoy roguelikes a lot but I remember watching a Nethack let's play and it seemed especially esoteric. The guy was dropping stuff in a fountain and how it splashed determined whether it was magic or not?

Are these things you could ever figure out for yourself or is it taken for granted that you've been told by somebody or are following a guide.

spectre

Arcane
Seems like I'm part of the "dunno, I just went with ADOM and it scratched all the itches for me" crowd.
ADOM felt logical, relatively fair (for a roguelike) and quite developed with its backstory. I admit, I never
seriously tried getting into Nethack, but it felt much more esoteric than ADOM.

No roguelike deserves a spot in the top 20 compared to real hand-made RPGs with actual level design and hand-placed encounters.
Sorry my man, but playing a game on and off for years with minimal spoilers and still finding new stuff, hidden endings and challenges, then finally getting your first win is something to bring a grown man to tears.
There's very few traditional RPGs , especially recent-made that can give you the same experience. You miss the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos and the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos misses you,
but alas, some things were never meant to be.

On the other hand, you could argue that being a hack-and-slash ADOM (or Nethack, but I am only familar with ADOM, so I'll stick with that one) is closer to Diablo than a proper RPG game, and I would be inclined to agree.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No roguelike deserves a spot in the top 20 compared to real hand-made RPGs with actual level design and hand-placed encounters.
You do realize your "muh handmade levels and encounters!" shtick does get rather tiresome?
I realize you won't stop, but I'm just wondering if it is your goal to appear, even within the Codex, as the grumpy old man who yells at the passing teens from behind the fence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom