Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Psquit

Arcane
Doggo Birkin can instakill you but yeah, Bosses in resident evil were always shit, get locked in a room with the boss rinse & repeat. I always enjoyed the whole "ahhhh not my final form yet!"

This is Resident evil peak performance. A shitload of entries in the franchise and yet they can't beat the best B.O.W. in the franchise.
lKiXhY4.jpg

garren

Arcane
Patron
What's so good about code veronica? I watched some partial youtube playthrough a long time ago and and just remember that the dialogue was cringy as fuck (didn't watch the later antarctica part), and the backgrounds had that kinda ugly early 3D look.

JDR13

Arcane
What's so good about code veronica? I watched some partial youtube playthrough a long time ago and and just remember that the dialogue was cringy as fuck (didn't watch the later antarctica part), and the backgrounds had that kinda ugly early 3D look.

A Resident Evil game with cringy dialogue?!

:hmmm:

garren

Arcane
Patron

A Resident Evil game with cringy dialogue?!

:hmmm:
Sure, the earlier games had pretty bad voice acting at times, but that high pitched voice and cringy dialogue of the dude traveling with claire made the game sound like some teen comedy. I dunno, the gameplay didn't look as good or polished as the earlier games either. That being said, I haven't actually played it myself, that's why I asked what's so good about it.

Psquit

Arcane
I like that code veronica is an amalgamation of themes such as concentration camps, eugenics, incest and mixtures of the movie psycho + other b movies.

Also, Cv is the closest thing to a Parasite eve 3 game.

Sure, Cv is not the best Re out there but fuck you.

After RE 3 remake maybe they will Remake Code veronica.

I'm surprised they haven't already tbh, but I guess they want to stick to chronological order.

If and when they remake Code Veronica, I hope they keep the isometric camera like they did with REmake.

Code Veronica is the real RE3. RE3 was developed as a spinoff, and only ended up getting the 3 because of a deal Capcom had with Sony that the next numerical title would be on the PSX.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did a remake of Code Veronica. It's the game Wesker comes back in, and at least internally it seems like they like Alexia. Code Veronica is also the most like the first game.

aJCuMo07fW-N-vtPlst4dS6gpB5RqZCNZQI8elJXCOc.jpg

When it comes to having fixed camera angles I think the most you can hope for is something like Cold Fear, which has fixed angles but goes into third person while aiming. Although CV would be the one to do that in I guess, as it's 3D environments allowed for camera movement, and it already had some first person stuff.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Code veronica being the original RE3 is not true. None of them were the original RE3. The original setting for Resident evil 3 was on a boat, with HUNK as the protagonist, and was discarded.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis scenario writer Yasuhisa Kawamura Project Umbrella the arrival of the PlayStation 2 derailed Capcom’s plans for Resident Evil 3.

The publisher had multiple Resident Evil projects on the go, including a team under Hideki Kamiya working on what was planned to be the next core Resident Evil game.

“The game was loosely set on a luxury cruise liner and had a general plot where HUNK was attempting to bring back a sample of the G-Virus,” Kawamura said of Kamiya’s project.

In mid 1998, Kamiya’s crew realised their project would be finished far too late for a PSOne release – and didn’t have time to upgrade to the PS2. It had to be shelved.

“Code: Veronica was a Dreamcast exclusive game, the scenario for ZERO was just getting started, and Mr Kamiya’s team was forced to go back to the drawing board to design for the PlayStation 2. This meant that fans on the PlayStation would have to wait several years for the next sequel, a scenario that Capcom wanted to avoid,” Kawamura remembered.

Capcom turned to a relatively inexperienced team under director Kazuhiro Aoyama, which was busy making a “gaiden”, or spin-off project. Development general manager Yohsiki Okamoto announced that the spin-off would be reworked as the third canonical entry, while Kamiya’s team moved onto Resident Evil 4 on the PS2.

“With the sudden promotion of the ‘Gaiden’ game, I was forced to expand the scale of the content. The story was initially supposed to just be an escape chronicle from an infected Raccoon City, but after discussions with the producer and director, it was decided that instead of introducing a new character, Jill Valentine will play the role of the main character,” Kawamura said.

“It was also decided that Raccoon City would be wiped from existence. You can say that in a sense, the launch of the PlayStation 2 ended up taking the lives of one hundred thousand Raccoon City citizens.”

Kawamura joined the Resident Evil 4 when resident Evil 3: Nemesis shipped, where he was responsible for a prototype scenario which was eventually shelved, and then recycled for Devil May Cry. He left Capcom before development on Resident Evil 4 wrapped, and currently works as a freelance designer and scenario writer.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/resident-evil-3-nemesis-began-life-as-a-spin-off/

Now you know where the inspiration for Revelations came from

Code veronica being the original RE3 is not true. None of them were the original RE3. The original setting for Resident evil 3 was on a boat, with HUNK as the protagonist, and was discarded.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis scenario writer Yasuhisa Kawamura Project Umbrella the arrival of the PlayStation 2 derailed Capcom’s plans for Resident Evil 3.

The publisher had multiple Resident Evil projects on the go, including a team under Hideki Kamiya working on what was planned to be the next core Resident Evil game.

“The game was loosely set on a luxury cruise liner and had a general plot where HUNK was attempting to bring back a sample of the G-Virus,” Kawamura said of Kamiya’s project.

In mid 1998, Kamiya’s crew realised their project would be finished far too late for a PSOne release – and didn’t have time to upgrade to the PS2. It had to be shelved.

“Code: Veronica was a Dreamcast exclusive game, the scenario for ZERO was just getting started, and Mr Kamiya’s team was forced to go back to the drawing board to design for the PlayStation 2. This meant that fans on the PlayStation would have to wait several years for the next sequel, a scenario that Capcom wanted to avoid,” Kawamura remembered.

Capcom turned to a relatively inexperienced team under director Kazuhiro Aoyama, which was busy making a “gaiden”, or spin-off project. Development general manager Yohsiki Okamoto announced that the spin-off would be reworked as the third canonical entry, while Kamiya’s team moved onto Resident Evil 4 on the PS2.

“With the sudden promotion of the ‘Gaiden’ game, I was forced to expand the scale of the content. The story was initially supposed to just be an escape chronicle from an infected Raccoon City, but after discussions with the producer and director, it was decided that instead of introducing a new character, Jill Valentine will play the role of the main character,” Kawamura said.

“It was also decided that Raccoon City would be wiped from existence. You can say that in a sense, the launch of the PlayStation 2 ended up taking the lives of one hundred thousand Raccoon City citizens.”

Kawamura joined the Resident Evil 4 when resident Evil 3: Nemesis shipped, where he was responsible for a prototype scenario which was eventually shelved, and then recycled for Devil May Cry. He left Capcom before development on Resident Evil 4 wrapped, and currently works as a freelance designer and scenario writer.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/resident-evil-3-nemesis-began-life-as-a-spin-off/

Now you know where the inspiration for Revelations came from

It's true. Code Veronica was originally going to be RE3. But it being a Dreamcast exclusive meant it couldn't be, as Capcom had a deal with Sony that RE3 would be a PSX game. Capcom was working on a PSX RE at the time, (which that link points out) which was the spinoff game, and that became RE3.

The RE3 on the ship you're talking about was scrapped in 98 when RE2 was released. This is all stuff I knew about at the time the games were being developed. Revelations is just one of four RE games to reuse the ship idea. The first was the Gameboy game Resident Evil Gaiden.

There's also multiple versions of RE4 and RE5.

Last edited:
I don't remember the specific place I read it, I believe it was a magazine from like two decades ago now.

https://retrocdn.net/images/5/57/EGM_US_121.pdf

This one though (on page 120) does have Yoshiki Okamoto say that Code Veronica is sequentially the real RE3, and that Nemesis is called RE3 because it's on the PSX. They also talk about how Nemesis is the only RE game up to that point that didn't have a scenario created by Flagship.

That article however also doesn't talk about how Nemesis was created as a spinoff title either, (which even the thing you posted talked about) and the thing I read years and years ago about Capcom having some deal with Sony over getting numbered titles was also where I first heard about that.

DayofBlow

Educated
Okay, as far as I could find, RE3 was originally a thing with Hunk on a boat. They got a PS2 SDK and cancelled this version to work on a PS2 game instead. RE0 and CV were both already in development prior/during this. Mikami then greenlit a smaller sequel to RE2 on PS1 which is Nemesis, and the PS2 project was the early version of RE4 that became DMC.

So, nothing is really RE3 but DMC is definitely Resident Evil 4.

I don't remember the specific place I read it, I believe it was a magazine from like two decades ago now.

https://retrocdn.net/images/5/57/EGM_US_121.pdf

This one though (on page 120) does have Yoshiki Okamoto say that Code Veronica is sequentially the real RE3, and that Nemesis is called RE3 because it's on the PSX. They also talk about how Nemesis is the only RE game up to that point that didn't have a scenario created by Flagship.

That article however also doesn't talk about how Nemesis was created as a spinoff title either, (which even the thing you posted talked about) and the thing I read years and years ago about Capcom having some deal with Sony over getting numbered titles was also where I first heard about that.

He isn't saying it's RE3, he's saying that its technically more a 'sequel' because it takes place after RE2 narratively. As opposed to Nemesis which is a prequel.

Fucker should've played Red Dead Redemption 2. What a pleb.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
To be honest we did see Umbrella going to bankruptcy when they spread a virus through an entire city, killing and turning thousands of citizens into zombies in RE2 and RE3. :troll:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So I started replaying REmake 2 after my initial attempt turned sour (partially due to having to shell out more cash for the OG music) and I started to enjoy it a little more. I do think I dislike Leon in this one, but Claire acts more like Claire. I still don't like the third person view due to how it plays, but the constant darkness and flashlight use is tense at times. I actually started enjoying the game once I got down to the NEST. They really did that location over in a good way.

MapMan

Arcane
I agree, NEST is my fav location after police station. I also wish RE2 remake had fixed camera angles, it would've made a great game:

Unfortunately, a complete mod like that is highly unlikely. It would be a huge undertaking that would require lightning changes, music adjustments, enemy placement and balance etc.

On the other hand, 3rd person camera is not all bad. It also leads to some really intense moments and encounters.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I agree, NEST is my fav location after police station. I also wish RE2 remake had fixed camera angles, it would've made a great game:

Unfortunately, a complete mod like that is highly unlikely. It would be a huge undertaking that would require lightning changes, music adjustments, enemy placement and balance etc.

On the other hand, 3rd person camera is not all bad. It also leads to some really intense moments and encounters.

Not acceshable enuf for the mainstream crowd.

"Stop living in the past, games have evolved since then"

:negative:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

That looks a million times better than the shit we have now. We're truly living in the darkest timeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom