Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I am wondering if he was the person who administered the forums before the migration. When it happened they said that the person who set up and administered the forums passed away in 2018 and that was the reason it all took longer than expected. As I understand, Steve was with the firm right from the beginning, so he might well have been the one who set up the forums.

"First and foremost, our current forums were set up and administered by a guy who sadly passed away last year."

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/forum-migration-soon/9870

In retrospect, I shouldn't have hammered them at the time for not getting the migration right on time. I probably should have been more sensitive. If condolences are appropriate, of course, I wish to offer mine, too.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yeah he set up the forums. If memory serves, he was an LGS OG IT guy who helped out with various things including dev ops,and tools and dev support.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
This is a real shame to hear, loved T1 and T2, SS1 and SS2, UW1 and UW2, heck, even loved Looking Glass's 3 different forays into Flight Simulation I adore, they were way ahead of the then current MS Flight sim series they competed with in many areas, the original team had so much talent that it just beggars belief we got what was UA.

Its just all so tragic, but especially so to hear someone has passed away that was part of the good stuff ... I'm not that hard that I can't offer my condolences too, RIP.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Most of UA's positive reviews come from shills who spent 0.2 hours in it.

I seriously believe at least one third of UA's 441 steam reviews is fake (which is almost every positive review).

If I had published a video game, I could easily get 20-30 of my friends and relatives to give it a positive fake review.

Now assume every OS employee does the same, and people like Warren Spector probably know 10 times as many people as I do. They probaby didn't even have to pay them, the game sold at just $7.50 when the bulk of positive reviews came in. That also explains the 0.2 hour reviews. These are people who were told to do some OS guy a favor and buy and like the game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Actually you can easily investigate that with hard data, since you can now filter reviews based on playtime.

Let's see:

Overall (Steam purchases): 42% positive (based on 442 reviews)
Overall (All purchases): 32% positive (based on 765 reviews, KS backers are included here)

Playtime (below are based on all purchases):
  • 0~1 hrs - 19% positive (189 reviews)
  • 0~2 hrs - 20% positive (334 reviews)
  • 2 hrs~ - 42% positive (431 reviews)
  • 10 hrs~ - 50% positive (119 reviews)
  • 20 hrs~ - 54% positive (42 reviews)
  • 40 hrs~ - 54% positive (11 reviews)
So it shows pretty usual pattern. Reviewers with less playtime are more negative than those with more playtime. i.e. they quit.

If there are fake reviews and if we assume they 1) purchased the game via Steam, 2) played less than 2 hours, 3) posted reviews in English, there are less than 30 reviews like that. (If you include non-English reviews, they are little over 40.) And if you bother, you can easily filter those and read them. You also can see that dates that the reviews are posted are spread out.

Katana1000S

But nothing changes the core hard fact of the matter, it's a shitty, rip off game that is nothing like was first put out by the Devs, it got those early purchases purely on the past games heritage and the lies we were told in the beginning.

For What its worth, bought it on steam myself, despite all my negativity, hoped against hope there would be something worthwhile, and especially after some patching, but really and honestly, hand on heart, that's the most disappointing game I've ever played in my entire life, it's got no redeeming qualities whatsoever? Its just a bug infested, last minute rush out the door panic job to meet a deadline.

I made it through the first level or so, after that it was like watching paint dry, or grass grow ... mind-numbingly boring, and believe me ... I can be very patient when there is gameplay to be had, no problems whatsoever with the originals, and they really were quite deep compared to this shallow pond of pus and larks vomit.

It really is pure SHIT. It really irks me to see shills giving this a positive, (one or two here) Steam and the official forums - mostly, just who are they helping with lies like that? or are they so deluded or brain washed, they do think its genuinely fun??? It must be some sort of mental illness ... but its fucked up they do that for sure :(

FFS :( a pure sabotage hatchet job on the series, we'll likely never see a worthy successor now.

Worst game I've ever played and I'm not joking :(

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Discord:

Hi guys, I had some chats with Fangamer this week. They gave me a rough estimate of Feb/March for the delivery timing, which factors in the manufacturing and production they still need to do for some of the rewards like the boxes and media (we've already done the figurines as you guys have seen). I'm pushing not only to move up that timeline in general but also to get something more granular as well so we can give you updates along the way. Will keep you all posted.

Glic2000

Educated
From Discord:

Hi guys, I had some chats with Fangamer this week. They gave me a rough estimate of Feb/March for the delivery timing, which factors in the manufacturing and production they still need to do for some of the rewards like the boxes and media (we've already done the figurines as you guys have seen). I'm pushing not only to move up that timeline in general but also to get something more granular as well so we can give you updates along the way. Will keep you all posted.

Wait, what? Now it's March? I thought the last estimate was summer. I thought everything was done and just about to ship out. I mean, not that I CARE, I don't even want that crap, it's just amazing how they got the date wrong by about six months again.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Fangamer has all physical templates since mid-October and was supposed to give a shipping deadline by end of October.

"I also just passed along all of our physical asset templates, so Fangamer should be sending us updated timelines and costs this week."

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/oct-15-2019-weekly-update/10224

OS wants to tell us it took them 2 months to give a shipping date and 5 months to actually ship the goods. That's nonsense. They are lying again. They are hiding something.

Katana1000S

Efe, Oaf

You slimeback sack of grovelling shit, what part of this train wreck do you not understand?

What does it matter now about timeline of it?, its been one big fucking disaster from start to finish /// you have tarnished your reputation as a serious RPG gamer and critic with your consist apologizing and LOW expectations for UA, you put your shitty reputation on the line for these Clown's Efe, and all they have ever done for you is let you down, time after time.

We all know you are as shallow as anything, all you have ever have done is speak highly of this shitty game ... and that speaks volumes about who you really are ... a disgusting shill.

This was a fantastic opportunity ruined to carry on UW and UW2 in all but name, it .... It was a failure and you won't concede that, bet you still play it and pretend you enjoy it too :(

Efe

Erudite
this game was okay for the 2$ i paid for it.
originals mean nothing to me and frankly from what they look like, i'd say they are a mediocre version of daggerfall.

this has been wildly successful. should have posted this on trigger codex thread.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dude you don't know what you're talking about if you think Warren would ever say something like that about the original UUW games.

Katana1000S

Shows what a troll you are Efe, if you cannot at least recognize how good some old games were.

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 were stunning brilliant games, absolute benchmarks by a team who were so tight at one point, they could practically do nothing wrong.

That was then, this is now.

Fast FWD to these days though, and sadly and horribly, they fucked up so badly, this current train wreck is thoroughly deserved for its poor press ... when the fuck will you wake up, stop trolling and shilling and at last concede the game is a load of shit?

Fuck you Efe you trolling/shilling sack of shit.

Even the developers are now conceding it a mess ... but you Efe, you must live on another planet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom