Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I never understood why people complain about G1 controlls. They are very intuitive. I mean, CTRL + Arrow Up uses the targeted item, if you have a spell or weapon eqquiped, it will swing your weapon. Same for CTRL left and right. Double Arrow Down blocks and moves backwards. Your char has no artificial delay, doesn't dance ballet for 5 seconds before striking like on Risen 3. Is pretty good and satisfying.

Diego talks for 11 minutes and 26 seconds. From 10:30 to 21:56. And it's all shit. This is why people say video games have bad writing.

He fought the same starting enemy from almost 2 minutes. From 47min to 49min. Not Even Oblivion who has the worst case of spongee enemies has this long fights vs a initial enemy. I like when the combat is brutak aka you kill and die quickly.

If killing a single enemy takes 2 minutes, imagine trying to kill everyone on the orc city (i know with ulu mulu you don't need it but is fun and gives XP). Every Gothic game had fast and brutal combat. Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and Gothic 4. Arcania is not Gothic, is a aberration.

But one of things that i most loved about Gothic games is the magic system. Teleport, Possess the enemy bodies(Control), Freeze enemies, manipulate objects at range(Telekinesis), charm enemies, knock down enemies with strong wind(Fist of Wind), create light, put enemies to sleep, fear enemies, summon undead, demons and golems, shapeshift into a lot of creatures, from a tiny Meatbug to a shadowbeast, etc. If you become a fire magician, templar, water magician or necromancer, there are runes and scrolls to have all of this options.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
He fought the same starting enemy from almost 2 minutes. From 47min to 49min. Not Even Oblivion who has the worst case of spongee enemies has this long fights vs a initial enemy.
I saw that, dude. And the fight with the first human opponent took 1:30 - and the guy starts with half health. How is combat going to work when you're up against multiple people? Or an entire orc camp? Are they just going to each wait 2 minutes for you to finish your duel?

My only hope is that THQ is doing this open beta in good faith and that they'll take the criticisms into serious consideration. I haven't played it yet, I will this weekend, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like there's a lot that needs changing. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt; I think they can probably get this right if they pay attention the vital details that made Gothic what it is, but they will seriously need to cut down on the dialogue and work on the combat.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I saw that, dude. And the fight with the first human opponent took 1:30 - and the guy starts with half health. How is combat going to work when you're up against multiple people? Or an entire orc camp? Are they just going to each wait 2 minutes for you to finish your duel?

Yep. Orc City would be unplayable to anyone without at least circle 5 spell(Fire Rain), Templars(restricted to circle 4), Guards and Mercenaries(no magic) would have no chance vs this level of spongee enemies. Maybe they will also try to "modernize" the magic and the gameplay as a mage would be use fire rain and wait 2 minutes for the cooldown while you run or hide in a place where they can't reach you due his awful AI, use fire rain and wait more 2 minutes... On my first run, with some summon skeleton scrolls and some fire rain scrolls as a templar, i was able to clear the orc city with dozens of orcs in less than 10 minutes.

I don't know why devs love to put spongee enemies in this games. The best games from Action genre and RPG genre doesn't have it. See Dark Souls, even with good armor and good health, few hits can kill you.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I endured it purely out of curiosity. The dialogs take so fucking long, you can't skip and they don't say anything at all.... like the rest of the game, it screams "this is my first game and I'm extremely proud of everything I did, so I'll shove it ALL in your face!"

Combat is also really bad. They made a poor man's version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat that feels like the world's longest QTE...

Sinatar

Arbiter
Combat is also really bad. They made a poor man's version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat that feels like the world's longest QTE...

It's actually a direct, 100% copy of For Honor's combat system, right down to ripping off all the UI elements of it. Just 10x clunkier and more poorly executed.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO if they wanna change the melee combat, they should use the Risen 1 combat as a model. But Risen 2/3 combat sucks. Is more lik a Ballet choreography than a combat.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The combat has the right ideas, it just needs a rework and properly tying it to character progression with different animation sets depending on your skill. Faster, more brutal and more responsive without menu healing is the first step that has to be taken.
Basing the combat off of any PB game or (god forbid) the originals would be a complete mistake since they are dead set on the reimagining route.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The combat has the right ideas, it just needs a rework and properly tying it to character progression with different animation sets depending on your skill. Faster, more brutal and more responsive without menu healing is the first step that has to be taken.
Basing the combat off of any PB game or (god forbid) the originals would be a complete mistake since they are dead set on the reimagining route.

What about Risen 1 melee?

-----------------------------------------------

Assuming that they fix the combat and remove this ultra long repetitive boring consequenceless fights by making enemies and you more easily damaged, You kill and die quickly in any gothic game(g1/g2/g3), fix the armor design, etc. What else you wanna to see? I :

• Option to become a Baal on swamp camp and learn circle 5, not only a templar(limited to circle 4).
  • Spells, scrolls or runes who summons ice and fire golems or other new spells not better than the actual ones, just different
  • Option to be a water magician at chapter 2 not 4.
  • Polearms with similar damage to the actual in game weapons
  • Option to transform uriziel into a bow/crossbow, not only a rune
  • Some spells that are only available in scrolls like Army of Darkness be available on runes.
  • Many types of arrowheads. Bodkin, broadhead, etc and the fantasy arrow types from G3 like explosive and flame
  • More damage types. Eg, protection vs weapons should be divided into protection vs slashes, pierce and blunt (golems already are much more resistant vs a sword than a hammer, just implement it to humanoid stuff) and magical damage and fire is too simplistic. Have at least like 3 elements like G3.

Things that i i will not buy if are present

• Handholding
  • Cooldowns
  • ArcaniA style your char DNA is 100% tied to his gear bs
  • Very long repetitive consequenceless boring fights
  • Invisible walls
  • Disregard to the original story
  • Wow Style carnavalesque non sense armor

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played the demo, dunno why people dislike it. Game was pretty fun so I preordered

TBEyWcV.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I tried to play a little more. Did they really TESTED the UI with Mouse & Keyboard? And did they tested their combat vs multiple enemies? Imagine skeleton mages on sleeper's temple. Summoning 20 skeletons faster than you can kill a single one. To maintain this piece of ***** ultra long boring combat, they would need to re design all encounters of the game.

Dexter

Arcane
Bros, if you wanna play this, they seem to have badly screwed up the Post Processing and/or Shadow settings, play around with those. I've found that if you want to actually see something in the distance you want "Post-Processing" to be below High (e.g. Low or Medium) and if you actually want to see something with that Setting and not everything to be dark you should set Shadows to "Low" (and setting those lower also helps with performance), here's some Screens:

Post Processing & Shadows on Epic:
a1je.png
a1jj.png
a1k1.jpg

Post Processing on Low:
a1jf.png
a1jk.png
a1k7.jpg

Post Processing and Shadows on Low:
a1jh.png
a1jl.png
a1k2.jpg

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I can't tell you how hard I am triggered by the generic "could be god of war, witcher 3, or asscreed" interface the game has.

And wtf is up with the stupid leather-strap-shoulder things.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Each and every PB game has terrible combat. Please stop pretending otherwise.

If you are talking about melee, i partially agree. Risen 1, Gothic 1/2/3 IMO has AVERAGE combat. Risen 2/3 awful combat.

Now, in therms of magical warfare or marksmanship, PB games has a pretty good combat. Except Risen 3. Because crossbow/pistol range is limited to melee range and this weapons are only useful because pick the weapon from your jacket, aim, fire and pull back is faster than the dance that the character do before striking.

And for melee, in therms of a action game, Gothic 1 combat is at best average but in therms of RPG elements, see your character who uses an axe like a generic anime swordsman using a correct stance and moments once he learned from a NPC how to fight is so amazing.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's like they intentionally took the very worst elements of modern decline and wrapped them all up in a big 20 fps shit sandwich. It's so bad it almost borders on performance art or social experiment. I mean good lord that voice acting, complete with dramatic pauses and posing.

Another remake where the main audience obviously isn't the actual fans, but newcomers who've played a bunch of modern slop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom