Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

I was expecting Miodrag Kuzmanović but it was some other guy, probably because of Qzma being a bit too Codexian for such an agitprop of a game.

Turns out he actually loved it.

In his column, titled 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Kojima' he compared Death Stranding VS Disco Elysium to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button VS Slumdog Millionaire.

He also compared Kojima to Leopold.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Generally, dumpsters should be avoided, but they do have insulating properties compared to the bench
Comrade should scope out college campus dumspters around graduation days.
I tried that but all I could find was sociology & gender studies degrees
Millenials BTFO. Genderfluidity dynamics degree not worth 100k rubles parents paid for it. Still good for employment in Hollyweird film and tv agitprop departments.

In long run capitalist drive to maximize productivity automate all jobs anyway. Robots learn to upgrade and fix self, discard even human engineer. Proles exist in twilight state of dependence on UBI gibs. Scarcity problem solved and project of class struggle enters new phase, way paved by capitalists themselves. Strange times ahead comrade.

tenor.gif

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Capitalism provides.

Conquistador latinas are hot

PS: I have recently learned that Ana de Armas is a woman of colour. The more you know..

Of course she is in current year, soon we all will be midget pigmey two-spirit lesbians, its like in USSR where party aparatchik progeny had to fake their proletariat ancestry to enter Unis. Now they and their progeny fake their ancestry to be scions of boyars, nihil novi sub sole Comrade.

Prime Junta

Hey Prime Junta, I am very curious about your role / connection with the game and with the Studio. Looks like you know a lot about it from a long time and somehow I missed it.

Can you tell me a little bit of the story? (Maybe you did this already, can you show me where, if you did? - I am in page 148 right now and trying to catch up)

The short version is, Robert invited me to visit their studio in Tallinn back in 2017, and I wrote that visit up as a preview for the Codex -- the very first one of the game, I believe. I really liked what I saw and offered to help out with the software development process related side of it, and spent a day with their programmers and producers there in May of the same year. I kept in touch with them about that sort of thing over the next couple of years, offering advice when asked and just being someone to talk to when they had problems in that department.* I got to know some of them a bit that way. They also invited me to beta test, and I played through the first day quite many times and gave some feedback. And I've been staying in touch with some of them -- Robert and Kaur in particular -- since then.

*It is well known that talking through a problem to a neutral but sympathetic party can help solve a lot of things when dealing with software (and IMO lots of other stuff too). Code review, for example, greatly improve quality, and a big part of it is that they force you to explain your code to someone; that process is really great at bringing up problems you might otherwise have missed. Since it's really fucking boring to listen to someone talk through their code, a known good practice is to supply programmers with a Labrador retriever, who will listen to the explanation with rapt attention, at least if any goodies are expected at the end of the process. In a pinch, a cardbord cutout Labrador retriever also works, although not quite as well. ZA/UM had a dog in this role already, but I served a similar purpose.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I'm curious about currently if they still will be posting here, now that they are much more popular and have a foot in with the game journos. I have noticed when popularity and success increase, most will leave Codex in the dust.

Prime Junta

What I'm curious about currently if they still will be posting here, now that they are much more popular and have a foot in with the game journos. I have noticed when popularity and success increase, most will leave Codex in the dust.

Hey Kasparov, are you gonna stick around now that you're famous?

Prime Junta

Why is this an RPG and not an adventure game? :philosoraptor:

stats
Also, dice rolls.

Earlier ITT MRY who actually makes adventure games explained pretty succinctly why this isn't one. Can't be arsed to look it up but here it is from memory:
  • Items go in inventory slots and modify stats. In adventure games, items are used in puzzles.
  • The game tracks both character state and world state and reacts strongly to it: stuff you've said or done before affects how interactions play out later.
  • Gameplay focus is stat checks against difficulty thresholds modified by die rolls, rather than on finding deterministic solutions to puzzles.
  • The experience is modified by character build, items equipped, and choices made along the way, rather than progressing by solving puzzles.
It's fair to call it an adventure-RPG hybrid. Calling it an adventure game tout court isn't.

The simplest way to explain it is that adventure games are player driven. You, the player, solve puzzles, progress the game, etc. Disco disco is character driven, your stats and skills figure stuff out, determine dialogue direction, etc. Hence RPG.

There are definite similarities between Disco Disco and AoD, but Disco Disco has several huge advantages over it:

1. The quality of writing. Both games are text heavy, but while AoD's writing is not bad or anything, it's mostly merely decent, whereas Disco Disco's writing is very high level (on PST's level).
2. Focus on strengths. There are no bad parts in Disco Disco, because they know what their strengths are, and that's all they focus on. There's a tiny map filled with high quality content, all of it beautiful and full. In AoD, the limited exploration is ugly af (that early 2000s 3D engine), some of the encounters are meh.
3. No meta-frustration. You pick what you want in Disco Disco, and play it how you want, and whether you win or lose skill-check rolls, you get an interesting experience. There are no meta traps. AoD is full of them, on the other hand, forcing most players to play with some skill points saved up for emergencies.

Atchodas

Augur
I thought u were implying civil war between comrade brothers, well anyway neither of those ends well since fucking commies won both of them

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom