Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Something incredible will happen (Next Thursday). Incline.

What is Cleve talking about now?

• Nothing, he's just trolling

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • First shots of WW3 fired before sunset

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Zep Zepo Finally Busted For Trafficking In Vietnamese Children

Votes: 95 38.2%
  • Total ITZ before noon, followed by absolute chaos and despair

Votes: 35 14.1%
  • Dur-Hurr I will pirate it

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Baby Salt Sold Out At Cost-Co

Votes: 19 7.6%

• Total voters

Solanacean

Educated
Manual aside, the scaling issues mentioned in this guy's so called review were finally fixed in V3. He's obviously reviewing an earlier version of the game, which he probably pirated or bought and refunded - otherwise he would've received the update.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Yes, you can. At least from your friends.

What's useful is seeing hours played by anyone, which you can't see. I skimmed through the review page, and the only thing available is the number of reviews a person wrote.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Yes, you can. At least from your friends.

What's useful is seeing hours played by anyone, which you can't see. I skimmed through the review page, and the only thing available is the number of reviews a person wrote.
It would be a useless metric on a DRM free platform like GOG, because the use of Galaxy is optional and so my 600 hours of Grimoire would be 0 to GOG because I play them all through launching .exe from my desktop.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Hey, Bah, would you mind walking through how you got everything working on Arch? I got the game installed, with the GOG installer, and it works but there is no sound. Tried the Linux guide in the wiki, but I keep getting errors when installing directmusic and gmdls. The wiki is pretty old, so I'm skeptical to believe it still works.

Bah

Arcane
Hey, Bah, would you mind walking through how you got everything working on Arch? I got the game installed, with the GOG installer, and it works but there is no sound. Tried the Linux guide in the wiki, but I keep getting errors when installing directmusic and gmdls. The wiki is pretty old, so I'm skeptical to believe it still works.

I'm actually using the Steam version and proton, so I didn't have to manually create a wineprefix, since proton did that for me. Using protontricks, all I needed to run was "protontricks <gameid> gmdls directmusic". The order listed there was important because directmusic gets an error at quartz.dll and bombs out, and if gmdls was listed 2nd then it wouldn't actually install. So in a manual wine-prefix, I would try installing them separately:

winetricks gmdls
winetricks directmusic

If the directmusic install fails at quartz.dll then you got as far as I did, and music should play.

The only other thing I should note is that when I installed grimoire with proton I was using wine 3.16. I've since updated to wine 4.11 and it still plays, but it's possible that the older version of wine helped with getting gmdls and directmusic installed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How many Zep Zepos are out there? Cleve really knows how to piss people off for years...

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The overall rating went down to 3.9 :negative:

Don't sweat it. Their feeble efforts are doomed. People are waking up to the fact that there is a concerted effort to sabotage Grimoire. The majority of negative reviews are left by non-owners with only the Grimoire review under their belt and most of them look like they were written by complete imbeciles who couldn't graduate a special-ed class. "Dis gaems bad becuss is liek gaems frum twenteen yeers ago, duuuurrrrr!" They're out of their league. They brought a knife to a nuclear arms race. Just look at the all-time bestselling list. Grimoire outsold games like Blair Witch, Daymare: 1998, the Wasteland 3 pre-order, Asterix & Obelix XXL 3, MOLEK-SYNTEZ, Terminator: Resistance and Corpse Party: Blood Drive within 24 hours of release. You'd think these games would be doing reasonably well based on brand recognition alone, yet they're getting beaten by a one-man project with zero marketing budget that had been out on other platforms for about a year. Also, consider how pretty much everyone who wanted a non-Steam build already got one on itch.io, especially considering how prospects of Grimoire showing up on gog looked bleak indeed after the initial rejection.

Grimoire overtook games like Red Faction: Armageddon, Layers of Fear 2 and We Happy Few (the latter being promoted to hell and back by gog for well over a year) within 48 hours of release and it still shows no signs of slowing down. Within just over 3 days, it has climbed to page 42 out of 54 of the all-time bestseller list, overtaking games that have been in the gog catalogue for years and years and that have already had 80+% discounts countless times. And it keeps on climbing and climbing. This afternoon, I checked the all-time bestseller list to see which page Grimoire is on, I refreshed the page about 10 minutes later and noticed that it had overtaken two more games in the meantime.

Make no mistake about it, Grimoire is WINNING!

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The game is shit. No amount of wishing is going to make it good.

Zep--
Lol what is your deal Zep. Even after he motivates himself to complete this crazy side-project of making a Wizardry 7 tribute, lone-wolf, over nearly two decades, then actually succeeds - you seem personally invested in Cleve failing. How can you not be happy for a maverick like this.

Envy?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

I'm actually using the Steam version and proton, so I didn't have to manually create a wineprefix, since proton did that for me. Using protontricks, all I needed to run was "protontricks <gameid> gmdls directmusic". The order listed there was important because directmusic gets an error at quartz.dll and bombs out, and if gmdls was listed 2nd then it wouldn't actually install. So in a manual wine-prefix, I would try installing them separately:

winetricks gmdls
winetricks directmusic

If the directmusic install fails at quartz.dll then you got as far as I did, and music should play.

The only other thing I should note is that when I installed grimoire with proton I was using wine 3.16. I've since updated to wine 4.11 and it still plays, but it's possible that the older version of wine helped with getting gmdls and directmusic installed.

Thanks! I tried multiple approaches, including yours, and couldn't get the external libraries to install and run the game within Wine. I'll stick with Windows, unless someone has a better solution.

Casual Hero

Augur
The game is shit. No amount of wishing is going to make it good.

Zep--
I don't want to start a war, but I just started playing the GOG version today for the first time, expecting to drop it after a few minutes- but here I am almost 3 hours later and completely enthralled. I didn't expect it to be so dang fun, and it is a proper blobber with actual modern conveniences included (automap, autowalking, notes on the map, Wiz 8 style combat command menu). I don't really see how this is a bad game at all.

overtenemy

Augur
So I have to ask Cleve, what is it that got GOG to change their minds? It wasn't too long ago that we were convinced there was some guy employed by GOG barring Grimoire from ever being released there. He was some...fucking cat guy? I forget. What changed? Whom did you contact? Is all well at GOG and CDProjekt - Card Tits?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So I have to ask Cleve, what is it that got GOG to change their minds? It wasn't too long ago that we were convinced there was some guy employed by GOG barring Grimoire from ever being released there. He was some...fucking cat guy? I forget. What changed? Whom did you contact? Is all well at GOG and CDProjekt - Card Tits?
the jews...

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Wrong. Grimoire is absolutely the second coming and deserves 4.9 stars across the board (down .1 due to questionable balancing). It is a hilarious no-contest being the single greatest RPG of the last 15 years.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

We agreed as they signed the armistice and cease-fire that neither of us would reveal the terms of our treaty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom