Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My end game party was around levels 100-110 and I cleaned every map completely but only once (including every Dragon in Dragonsand). I was trying to get expert/master in Learning earlier and often had teacher and instructor hirelings.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
isn't most xp from xp well not from monsters?
I am not so sure about that,you do kill a lot of monsters in the game.Especially in the later game,when there are almost no quests left. For example the biggest exp quest is the cube,it gives you 500,000 exp,while killing a dragon is around 10,000. So killing 50 dragons is equalling the biggest quest,and there is shit ton of dragons and other strong monsters. Thus you get more exp from killing that quests in generally.

zapotec

Liturgist
I lost the will to play (and to live) during castle darkmoor quest :negative:, so i rushed to the end. Weirdly, i liked Varn tomb.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I lost the will to play (and to live) during castle darkmoor quest :negative:, so i rushed to the end. Weirdly, i liked Varn tomb.
You are a weirdo. Castle darkmoor is blast,last time i did it in a 30minutes maybe an hour. You just have to use layd's beacon and teleport to new sorpigal to get patched at the temple,don't bother sleeping and such. It is a good place to test your MM mastery.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
For whom would a remaster/remake be though? Blobbers aren't really sales powerhouses or secret nostalgia bait. People who like blobbers can play ancient artifacts like M&M1, Wizardry 1, even Akalabeth and such.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The most modern "true" blobber I can think of is Elminage Gothic and maybe Lords of Xulima. I wouldn't say Legend of Grimrock was all that good or interesting, but I haven't really played it for more than 15 minutes.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The most modern "true" blobber I can think of is Elminage Gothic and maybe Lords of Xulima. I wouldn't say Legend of Grimrock was all that good or interesting, but I haven't really played it for more than 15 minutes.
Operemcia is better than both of those games,sadly is a bit too weak. Also there bard's tale the nu shit,which is not that bad. Lords of Xulima is really shit,i just finish it and it was painful. It had a great oportunity to make an open world game,the map system was great and the dungeons were decent to good. But the story and the combat were terrible,also that retarded levelling system.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried to get into both Legend of Grimrock and came to conclusion that I rather hate modern blobber's obsession with the puzzles. I do no not mind them in some moderate quantities, so I vastly prefer combat-heavy M&M Legacy to everything recent blobber-y I have tried. I was eyeing Operencia for some to time, maybe would try it next when mood will hit me again. Or Legend of Amberland.

I also played Elminage a bit, but too much japanese farm fest for me there.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Can't say I like it nearly as much as 3-5 or 10, but it had its moments.

How to ruin a sentence with 4 characters.

It's curious that none of the Might and Magic titles have received a "remaster/remake" treatment. Too niche, or simply not their time yet?

Ubisoft should have been the one doing it, as much as i dislike BT4 combat and save system, i have to salute their efforts to remaster the BT series.
On the other hand not only ubisoft released a retarded M&M but they didn't even bother to go for a remaster when it'd have been so easy, it only needs new sound effects compatible with modern computers.
Conclusion : Fuck ubisoft!

I'm probably going to buy BT4 DC because of their commitment.

As an "additional gift" because i'm not going to play it ...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to get into both Legend of Grimrock and came to conclusion that I rather hate modern blobber's obsession with the puzzles. I do no not mind them in some moderate quantities, so I vastly prefer combat-heavy M&M Legacy to everything recent blobber-y I have tried. I was eyeing Operencia for some to time, maybe would try it next when mood will hit me again. Or Legend of Amberland.

I also played Elminage a bit, but too much japanese farm fest for me there.

Grimrock's obsession with puzzles is not so much a "modern blobber" phenomenon, but a feature of the Dungeon Master lineage of dungeon crawlers.

Dungeon Master clones were already wildly popular in the late 80s and up to the mid 90s.

It's sad that this particular subgenre of crawler was resurrected in the modern age, and not M&M or Wizardry.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Oh come now, 10 is alright.

Exactly, Might & Magic X is alright.

Isles of Terra and World of Xeen are monuments to the gaming industry.

I feel like this thread is a time loop repeating itself.
Sure, X is alright but everything they did wrong was right under their noses because it was done masterfully 20 years ago with processors that now run calculators.
How retarded do you have to be to miss that ?

You forgot Grimoire.

And for those saying blobbers are dead: the aren’t, they’ve just mostly migrated to handheld consoles and been weeabooified.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You forgot Grimoire.

And for those saying blabbers are dead: the aren’t, they’ve just mostly migrated to handheld consoles and been weeabooified.
I didn't, I just wouldn't say it's modern. It's obviously a 90s blobber that happens to be released 20 years too late. That's not a bad thing.

Fair enough. I suppose if we’re talking modern graphics and UI/QoL stuff, then yeah, it’s basically Elminage, LoX and the LoGs on PC. Also for what it’s worth, I was overall underwhelmed by LoG1, but loved 2; I thought it was a massive improvement on the framework laid in the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom