Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
I was fucking referring to tactician you illiterate mongoloid.
I didn't quote your post therefore don't assume my post is a response to you, retard.
Two can play at this game, person who I can neither confirm nor deny was the recipient of my previous post.
plural:
singular:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I was fucking referring to tactician you illiterate mongoloid.
I didn't quote your post therefore don't assume my post is a response to you, retard.
Two can play at this game, person who I can neither confirm nor deny was the recipient of my previous post.
plural:
singular:
How presumptuous of you (rusty_shackleford) to assume that whenever you (rusty_shackleford) read the word "you" (pronoun; used to refer to any person in general.), that it (post containing the word "you (pronoun; used to refer to any person in general.)) was referring to you (rusty_shackleford).

SniperHF

Arcane
The EE absolutely changes non-tactician difficulties.
One entry
EE: DAF_Demon _Demon 1 18 7 4 6
Classic: DAF_Demon _Demon 1 18 7 6 8

2 fewer CON 6 vs 8
2 fewer INT 6 vs 4

Probably thousands of differences.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm ready to revisit this after 5 years. Will be playing DOS Classic, Source Difficulty Mod + Hard.

Any suggestions on fun and different builds? I'll be going double Lone Wolves since I don't want a 4-man party. Leech+bloodletting would be fun but it seems like ever since they nerfed it in 2015 it triggers really weirdly in combat, a bit buggy. Zombie could be a way, but IIRC there's not many reliable ways to create poison clouds?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm ready to revisit this after 5 years. Will be playing DOS Classic, Source Difficulty Mod + Hard.

Any suggestions on fun and different builds? I'll be going double Lone Wolves since I don't want a 4-man party. Leech+bloodletting would be fun but it seems like ever since they nerfed it in 2015 it triggers really weirdly in combat, a bit buggy. Zombie could be a way, but IIRC there's not many reliable ways to create poison clouds?
Lone Wolf + Glass Cannon is always a solid FUN build. Sasuga Swen killed that build's viability in decline edition.

Tell me about Source Difficulty Mod? I've never used that.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zombie could be a way, but IIRC there's not many reliable ways to create poison clouds?
That's what makes it fun. Actually, since you can tap poison from barrels healing usually isn't a problem, but it can occasionally produce fun dilemmas like whether or not to wade into a green cloud or puddle and risk getting blown up, which makes it cooler than drab old regular healing by default, unless you go with leech, in which case it's about equal. That makes a leech+zombie duo the obvious choice for maximum FUN, practically without imposing on your regular stat/class character building at all.

As for class picks, it's too easy to make roflstomp combos, especially with more than one mage around, and different builds are usually just one trick ponies by another name. My favourite classes are marksman and rogue, the former because it actually incorporates a tiny bit of working resource management, at least in Cyseal, and the latter because zooming around the battlefield at 100 AP per turn is just delightful. Good movement is also handy for soaking up blood or poison, if you go that route. Not particularly creative, but that's what I had the most fun with.

I would get the faster movement mod as well, unless you consider it cheating.

Tigranes

Arcane

Lone Wolf + Glass Cannon is always a solid FUN build. Sasuga Swen killed that build's viability in decline edition.

Tell me about Source Difficulty Mod? I've never used that.

I've played Glass Cannons before - yes, they're fun, now I'm looking for more wacko stuff.

I can't remember if I used the mod back in 2014, but it seems to give some basic buffs to enemies including more resistances and AP. Given DOS is not very challenging in any iteration, this might be fun.

I'll consider Zombie+Leech, then maybe stick with 2 members and turn down the difficulty - or just LW+Zombie.

I agree that there's not a lot of class variety - honestly even with two characters you can usually spread out across most skills, and that's one of the key problems with DOS (no real build variety). Should still be fun to explode and throw barrels for a while.

catfood

AGAIN

Zombie is EZ mode. There are a ton of enemies that use poison. Some encounters revolve almost exclusively around that. There are also at least 4 geomancy spells off the top of my head that deal poison damage, whereas for normal healing you have 1 (maybe 2) spells in hydrosophist and 1 in witchcraft. I think they added more in EE but I'm not sure. Anyway the point is that with zombie and and AOE geomancy spells you can both injure enemies and heal yourself at the same time. The only thing you need to be careful about is fire.

EDIT: leech isn't that powerful. It only heals you a small amount but it could make the difference between life and death. Anyway there are very few worthwhile talents so you might as well pick it up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've completed the few D:OS content mods that looked interesting, so here's a round-up.

Kitchen Escape - you role play as four crabs escaping a kitchen. Cute, but not much of a puzzler; you either fight against cats or fight against rats.

Escape from Smalcatraz - You're a bad cop who didn't play by the rules, so now you have to escape your cell. Definitely more of a puzzler, though there's one thing you need to do to escape that didn't come across as intuitive; you have to do what the cop would think to do, not what you would do (this involves an evil act).

Lost Isles - As the mod description puts it
Two mercenaries find themselves shipwrecked on an island only to discover that they are not alone. Three different groups have already claimed various parts of the island and are at war with one another. Explore the islands, search for a way to escape, argue with your partner, smite a paladin, or just run around smashing orcs. Featuring pirates, humor, and 2-player co-op! 

Lost Isles is a traditional RPG for 1 or 2 players. The game is about 2 hours long, with some replayability since your choices will alter the fates of some NPCs. The module's main focus is on story, character, and level design, since those are my areas of specialty.
The last sentence is a damn lie; this is a linear combat crawl with minor bits of narrative reactivity. You're railroaded into the same endgame regardless of your choices, so choosing the evil option will actually make you worse off than if you hadn't (both in terms of resources available and having to endure a slog of a battle). Still, it is the most ambitious of the three. Didn't like the style of some of the character writing, but it wasn't outright terrible.

Neverwinter Nights this isn't in terms of what's available. (D:OS 2 even less so). I do intend to give SniperHF's mod a spin, but not right now; it claims to be 15 hours and that's more time than I'd like to invest at the moment. I'll review it in the thread he made in time.

SniperHF

Arcane
Kitchen Escape - you role play as four crabs escaping a kitchen. Cute, but not much of a puzzler; you either fight against cats or fight against rats.

Escape from Smalcatraz - You're a bad cop who didn't play by the rules, so now you have to escape your cell. Definitely more of a puzzler, though there's one thing you need to do to escape that didn't come across as intuitive; you have to do what the cop would think to do, not what you would do (this involves an evil act).

IIRC those two were made in the very early days of the D:OS editor. That they were able to make anything at all was moderately impressive they had basically zero help.

chuft

Augur
Been going back and forth between DOS:EE and Deadfire lately. Would be curious to hear any comparisons people would care to make.

Much farther in Deadfire (level 19 or 20) than DOS (level 7).

chuft

Augur
Starting to read backwards in this thread. Seeing a lot of dislike for EE. Is classic that much better? Or just harder? I know some people here like very hard settings.

chuft

Augur
The armor system is idiotic. You win by going all physical or all magic. It just makes the battles one dimensional. But the main reason it is idiotic is because it makes control magic completely pointless. You can't use any control spells when they have even a tiny bit of magic armor. So you have to blast down all their magic armor first, and at that point you may as well just blast them down a bit more and they are dead.

This doesn’t sound at all familiar. Was this something in classic that is not in EE?

I thought “damage the armor” thing was in DOS2.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I played this before the EE came out. At the time I thought it was one of the best new RPG's around, but that was totally due to the combat. The story was really shit, although the locations were nice in a few spots. Is Divinity: OS 2 better than this? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Starting to read backwards in this thread. Seeing a lot of dislike for EE. Is classic that much better? Or just harder? I know some people here like very hard settings.
Larian nerfed all the fun abilities and generally just reduced the fun factor. For example, Boulder Bash can be used in Classic to knock down enemies. In the EE, all it does is cover them in oil and deal slight damage. At that point why not just use the regular fucking Oil spell?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

This doesn’t sound at all familiar. Was this something in classic that is not in EE?

I thought “damage the armor” thing was in DOS2.

It's not about encounter difficulties, as far as i remember, traps puzzles are far worse in DOS EE and i don't like them to begin with in the classic version.

And yes, the double armor thing is in DOS 2, not the first one.

I played this before the EE came out. At the time I thought it was one of the best new RPG's around, but that was totally due to the combat. The story was really shit, although the locations were nice in a few spots. Is Divinity: OS 2 better than this? Asking for a friend.

Didn't complete it but the double armor thing ruined it for me, also the starting island is kinda weak, i prefer DOS beginning where you have way more freedom, locked by enemy difficulty only (and if you build your characters well and prepare accordingly, you can beat stronger opponents) like in the Might & Magic series.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
As above, nerfs and removal of abilities, plus the godawful new VA and removal of old good VA, and insanely casual cancer quest markers that absolutely ruined all of the questing that were well designed "find it yourself" in classic versus "follow the marker to complete" design methodology added in decline edition thanks to Swen selling out for consoletards.

chuft

Augur
Classic:
the fixed perspective hides some of the map flaws, and the colors are less exaggerated.

So in classic you can't zoom in/out or rotate the camera?

In EE I found rotating the camera essential to, for example, get in certain buildings, go around corners in caves etc.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

In EE I found rotating the camera essential to, for example, get in certain buildings, go around corners in caves etc.
How about just downloading it and giving it a try. Classic is supposed to be free if you already bought the EE.

Sjukob

Arcane
Get Epic Encounters if you are playing EE.

The story was really shit, although the locations were nice in a few spots. Is Divinity: OS 2 better than this?
DOS2 has all the downsides of the first game, the story, itemization, writting etc are just as shit, but combat and systems are worse. It's safe to skip DOS2. I seriously regret investing time in this game, don't be an idiot like me and stay away from it.
fuck3.png

fuck4.png

chuft

Augur

How about just downloading it and giving it a try. Classic is supposed to be free if you already bought the EE.

Yes, that is the slow, space consuming, time wasting way of finding out the answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom