Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #40: closed beta in mid Jan

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Why the silence?

As you probably know, Ivan Soloviov, our animator, the guy we worked with for 14 years, died on Sep 5 after being ill for months. It's a hard thing to deal with, so I didn't post any updates since his death (it just didn't seem important). Ivan handled animations, creatures, and everything that goes onto the character model, from weapons and armor to facial hair. The armor system is a lot more complex than the one in AoD which had only body armor and helmets. In Colony Ship we have boots & leggings, combat vests, jackets and coats, armguards, helmets, goggles, and breathing masks. When Ivan got ill, our progress in these two high-visibility areas had slowed down to a crawl and what we expected to wrap up in early 2019 was pushed back over and over again. We’re making progress now but we’re way off schedule, of course.

What’s done: vests, boots & leggings, armguards, helmets, goggles, respirators, weapons; energy armor, implants, most ranged and melee animations for male characters.

What’s not done: combat stimulants, jackets and coats (we have the “prototypes” that have been much improved and optimized; so we need to make variations which is relatively easy but like everything else it takes time), female animations (won’t take long once all male animations are done), and hair styles. Jackets are being work on right now; should be done by the end of the month.

We have enough to start beta testing the combat demo and this time around we fully expect to finish the rest in 2-3 months. We will start the first round in mid Jan (closed beta with new participants added each week) with public release around mid or end of Feb. Better late than never and all that.

4EohaQH.png

Implants:

Implants offer another way to improve your character and give you yet another reason to explore abandoned decks and places of ill repute. There are seven implants with two modal upgrades each:

sRFgTFc.png

Brighten up your world with CoreProTech's inSight 7L. Tap into 25th century image processing technology today to automatically adjust gamma, contrast, color and shadows to give you the best picture quality at an unbelievably reasonable price. Every day looks a little brighter with CoreProTech!™

Perception +1

Upgrades:

This handy piece of military surplus kit will upgrade your sluggish and dimwitted retail security guard into a trigger-happy killer. Point Zero instantaneously responds to sudden movement in the user's vicinity and sends a reaction impulse directly to the motor cortex, bypassing the clumsy and unreliable decision-making process. [Currently outlawed in the European Federation.]

Snap THC +10, Reaction + 15, Stagger +10, Aimed -20

A cost-effective alternative to actual highly trained (and therefore greedy and entitled) snipers, NoScope 360 reprograms the subject's ocular system to reproduce the enhanced accuracy of a high-powered scope, boosting precision shooting at any range but negating the ability to quickly zero-in on targets.

Aimed THC +10, Critical Strike + 5, Critical Damage +25%, aimed attacks only (all other attacks are disabled)

Combat stimulants:

Regen – 5HP/turn for 4 turns; the strain on the body results in -2 penalty to all stats for the duration of combat. The regen effect isn’t stackable (so you can’t use two stimulants in one turn to boost regen to 10HP per turn) but the side effect is, so if you use two stimulants per fight, you’ll severely cripple your character. Still worth a shot if you have 2HP left.

Super Soldier – 2-4 Extra Melee Damage, +4 AP, +10 Evasion for 4 turns; same side effects as above.

Lockdown – neural resistance is maxed for 4 turns; best defense against mental attacks, especially for solo characters.

Other areas:

On other fronts the work continues: we’re almost done with the Armory, working on the Factory (the biggest, most open Mad Maxian level) and Hydroponics. Joao is busy pumping out models and props:

NPQ3NHP.png

We now have two creatures (the starfish and the frogs: poison spitter, bullfrog, and psyker) out of six, the plant is next:

Qt4itYF.jpg

In case you missed the starfish:

md8tYHl.gif

Plus a new portrait from Mazin titled A Man Who Was Born Free:

DfgsECM.jpg

And now you're up-to-date.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your families. Thanks for stopping by.

Alphons

Cipher
My condolences. He clearly was a talented guy.

Thanks for the update, also
Merry Christmas and good luck with the Colony Ship!

Pearass

Educated
Thanks for all the hard work you and your team are putting in. Your work looks fantastic, and I am immensely excited!

Anyone giving you a hard time over being off schedule or whatever needs to seriously get their sense of empathy checked. When someone great is gone, everything they touched is so, so much harder to clearly look at. At least, that's how I feel. You stop seeing the work, and just see the friend who died. So, so sorry for your loss. He was a great man.

Thanks again for everything you guys do. This is going to be a real grand slam, I know it. Merry Christmas

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Can you please share with us few words about the musics too? Does Osiginon already made some ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Can you please share with us few words about the musics too? Does Osiginon already made some ?
He's been working on it for a while but we don't have the eta yet. Just checked with Oscar, he says we should have a few tracks and some combat sound effects in a few weeks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller I like trying to track how your design has changed over time. Implants back in early 2017: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7363.0.html

7. Implants

In most cases the implants won't give you direct bonuses (cellular regeneration and subdermal armor are the only combat implants) but will assist with "gated content", either allowing to bypass stat checks or unlocking extra content in the first place (like interfacing with the ship's systems via a bridge officer's datajack). Basically, the implants are closer to what we did in AoD than to Shadowrun, in case anyone's wondering.

Certainly not the case anymore. (Actually I suspect this concept of implants was already scrapped by the end of 2017)

Stimulants in 2017: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7435.0.html

Combat Stimulants

- Rapid Cellular Regenerator – restores HP per turn (the only form of healing in combat)
- Motor Cortex Enhancer – same as AoD’s neurostimulant, extra AP per turn, limited duration
- Neurotransmitter – similar to AoD’s berserk

First two look like they could be different names for the same thing?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller I like trying to track how your design has changed over time. Implants back in early 2017: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7363.0.html

7. Implants

In most cases the implants won't give you direct bonuses (cellular regeneration and subdermal armor are the only combat implants) but will assist with "gated content", either allowing to bypass stat checks or unlocking extra content in the first place (like interfacing with the ship's systems via a bridge officer's datajack). Basically, the implants are closer to what we did in AoD than to Shadowrun, in case anyone's wondering.

Certainly not the case anymore. (Actually I suspect this concept of implants was already scrapped by the end of 2017)
:why not both:

We didn't scrap it but built on top of it. Implants were always meant to provide stat bonuses but their primary purpose was unique interaction. It's still there, of course. Then we added upgrades, partly to reward exploration and tough fights, partly to boost character development and build variety.

Street Samurai
A high-end muscle memory kit for athletes competing in professional Deathmatch events. Become one with the blade with Street Samurai! Bask in the roar of the crowds as you cleave your rivals asunder with the unstoppable plasmaSonic katana™! [plasmaSonic Katana and plasmaMegaCharger sold separately].

Melee only: THC +15, Evasion +15, Reaction +25

Combat Stimulants

- Rapid Cellular Regenerator – restores HP per turn (the only form of healing in combat)
- Motor Cortex Enhancer – same as AoD’s neurostimulant, extra AP per turn, limited duration
- Neurotransmitter – similar to AoD’s berserk

First two look like they could be different names for the same thing?
We added "side effects" to the regenerator, combined the other two into one (extra damage, ap, and evasion), and added a booster against mental attacks.

Deleted Member 22431

I hope they are visible on your character model. One of the most underwhelming things about cyberware implants in Shadowrun is that your implants are not visible. It's silly and childish, I know, but then again a good cRPG is nothing more than a sum of childish things. I understand that this probably isn't going to happen because you have other priorities but maybe you can add this after release.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I hope they are visible on your character model. One of the most underwhelming things about cyberware implants in Shadowrun is that your implants are not visible. It's silly and childish, I know, but then again a good cRPG is nothing more than a sum of childish things. I understand that this probably isn't going to happen because you have other priorities but maybe you can add this after release.
Most implants are internal. You won't have cybernetic arms or legs like in Shadowrun.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Most implants are internal. You won't have cybernetic arms or legs like in Shadowrun.

I can't remember if you mentioned it, Vince, but will the game feature anything resembling like a power armor? Exo-suit? Anything at all?

And please make heavy weapons cool. I want a minigun and it needs to sound like the one in Terminator 2 <3

Imma buy 20 copies if so! <3..

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

We do have a system for it, though, but it would be minor visible things when it makes sense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I can't remember if you mentioned it, Vince, but will the game feature anything resembling like a power armor? Exo-suit? Anything at all?
Not at the moment.

Back when we were deciding things, we decided to go with energy armor instead: a wearable device that generates a powerful energy field around you that absorbs all damage until it runs out of power whereas a handheld gadget generates a limited energy shield that merely slows down incoming damage (absorbs some damage until runs out of power). There are 3 models: light, medium, heavy.

XKH4Giw.png

^ light

ltM7Di9.png

^ medium; plus the 'prototype' jacket in action. You will see right away when the enemy is wearing it, even before it's activated.

And please make heavy weapons cool. I want a minigun and it needs to sound like the one in Terminator 2 <3
0RkubkA.jpg

We had plans for an exo-suit but that was before Ivan's death. Overall, yes, it would be good to have it and it would be good to have a proper mechanical powered armor, but this whole armor thing has been very painful and time-consuming. If we add more it would be after we release on early access (meaning after a lot of more important work is done).

Black Angel

Arcane
Street Samurai
A high-end muscle memory kit for athletes competing in professional Deathmatch events. Become one with the blade with Street Samurai! Bask in the roar of the crowds as you cleave your rivals asunder with the unstoppable plasmaSonic katana™! [plasmaSonic Katana and plasmaMegaCharger sold separately].

Melee only: THC +15, Evasion +15, Reaction +25
I'm ready to unleash my inner weeb
:desu:

Efe

Erudite
unique interaction like can we find a hooker add breast implants and send her to seduce tony the bouncer so bar fight is easier or like "[X implant] Ez conversation choice"?

Deleted Member 22431

The best cRPGs never have romance.

No romances here.

This is going to be gud!

Brainlet2

Educated
Sorry for your loss, I loved AoD and DR animations, especially the spear ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom